The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6 weeks to go
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:23 am 
Junior

In 6 weeks time we will be living in Cyprus, :woohoo
Just want to say thanks for all the knowledge I've gained from you all over the last few years.......Roll on 5th September :heart
Marilyn

Post subject: Re: 6 weeks to go
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:24 am 
Top of the pops

Best of luck to you.

Can I give a little advice?

Don't think of your move as an everyday holiday. You will soon be fed-up with sunshine and Taverna meals out. You need to keep busy, some interest or work if only voluntary. Challenge yourself, try and learn Greek for example. It is very difficult but keeps the brain active.
Initially you will be probably be posting that everything is fantastic in Cyprus, then after a year or two the little niggles like the driving or barking dogs may start to get you down. A large proportion of ex-pats return home within 5 years somewhat disillusioned, often posting how much better UK life is. One still posts on here regularly, the change from loving it to hating it took about 3 or 4 years.

The ones who stay still complain about a host of normal complaints, but accept that even so the life here is so much better, there is no where else they would want to be. If you have other things to focus on rather than watching UK TV and eating and drinking then the down sides of Cyprus life can be taken in proportion.

Prepare yourself for the coming winter, it feels much colder than it really is and much accommodation is uninsulated and can be damp. People often say they never been so cold.

Lots of help by searching the past postings on various forums - its all happened before.
Its a great life - I have not left the island for 7 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:53 pm 
Junior

Thanks Dave, we have had a property there for a few years and had many "holidays" in all weathers so I have plenty of jumpers for the winter ;)
I'm sure we will find plenty to do and will not be in holiday mode.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:19 pm 
Top of the pops

Wise words from Dave.

My additional advice would be:

1. Don't be a cheap hotel for all your friends and family. They will come, stay for a while, expect you to take them out every night, and cost you a fortune.
2. Try not to watch UK news and read UK papers, as it will just make you depressed and will become less and less relevant. The most boring Brits in Cyprus are those who bang on about UK problems. Please don't be one of them. If you want a newspaper, read Cyprus Mail.
3. As Dave says, get involved in something. But I suggest you find something that isn't just Brits.
5. Don't assume Brits are all honest. They are just as likely to con you as anyone else. Bring your common sense with you and don't leave it at the airport as many do.

It all works for me, and I love it here.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body