Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Non EU Husband ??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:55 pm 

Hiya, so I need a little help getting my ducks in a row with this process, i'm reading different things and its confusing. How can I get my Non EU Husband to Cyprus with me? Do I have to be working? Do I have to be earning a certain amount (which i've worked out as around 16800 euro annually before tax using figures i've read somewhere) ? Is it as simple as just him coming here and taking him to the immigration office? I've been in Cyprus nearly 2 weeks, and have an appointment at immigration to get my yellow slip next month. If anyones done this before i'd really appriciate some answers!

Post subject: Re: My Non EU Husband ??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:45 pm 
Forum Admin

I would have thought that as a spouse of an EU citizen , he would be allowed automatic
entry into the country ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:48 pm 
Top of the pops

You say he is non-EU. However, you don't say if his nationality requires a visa for entry into Cyprus. If not, he can just come as a visitor and should be able to apply to Immigration once he is here.
Is your mariage certificate in English? If not, you will need a translation. You will also need an apostile on it for it to be recognised in Cyprus.
The best thing is to pop up to Immigration and ask if you can talk to someone. Explain the situation and ask their advice as to process.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:33 am 

Hmm the marriage certificate may be a little complicated in our case, since we have two from two seperate countries. One is from a mosque in the UK where we originally we're married, and one from a Shariah court in Israel (where my husband lives, and holds nationality to) where we had to have the certificate re-done, though it refers back to the original certificate from the UK i.e 'so and so we're married on this date, at this place'. Where it gets even more complicated is that the UK doesnt recognise Shariah Marriages, but Israel does, so I can get the one from the Israeli court apostilized, but not the one from the UK. Basically our marriage is offigically recognised in Israel, but not in the UK. Stuff would be alot simpler if we'd had a civil ceremony in the UK but hey, aint nobody got a grand for the fiance visa!! smh :/ I'll have to make sure if the Israeli marriage document will be sufficient, or if we'll have to have a (another) civil ceremony here in Cyprus. Oy vey :/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:08 pm 
Top of the pops

People holding an Israeli passport don't need a visa to visit Cyprus. I think this would be for a period up to 3 months, during which your partner could apply for a longer term visa based on your marriage.
The key question is, was your UK marriage registered by a UK Superintendent of Marriages? If so, then you should have a UK wedding certificate that would be recognised by Cyprus. If not, then as far as the UK and Cyprus are concerned, you aren't married.
If you decide to get married in Cyprus, go up to the municipality asap and ask what the paperwork reguirements are. It can take some time to get it all together if one of you isn't an EU citizen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:22 am 

We've decided that it'd be fairly simple and easy for him to just come here on a visit visa and from there we can have a civil ceremony, making things alot easier since, no, our marriage wasnt registered in the UK, so in the eyes of the EU we're both single.

My brother is going through the same process here with his American fiance so I have some information from him, but I need to find out then if with the civil marriage certificate, do I then have to be earning so much a year, or can i simply just have any job or source of income, whatever the amount be. This isnt an issue for my brother as he is self employed so he doesnt know. The income issue could be the deal breaker since from figures i've read, and considering tax also, i'd need to be earning 1400 euro a month, which is pushing it since I'm fresh grad and have little work experience. I'm Hoping to visit immigration tomorrow or wednesday to find out but if anyone else knows from first hand experiance even better because I swear the officials have no idea what they're doing most of the time either !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:36 pm 
Top of the pops

Advice removed.

Last edited by Polemi Dave on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:50 pm 

Strange, my brother got his yellow slip very smoothly and fast when he came here a few months ago , and they also gave me an appointment for the 25th, and listed a few basic things i need to bring with me, basic health insurance, photocopies of passport, etc. All has seemed smooth till now on my half . Prooving our marriage is legit wont be too hard i'd assume, i have 2 years worth of visas in my passport from living in Israel with him, 2 house contracts with both our names on them, wedding pictures from our initial ceremony in 2012, pictures of family visits both to israel and the UK over the last 2 years, amongst tons of other stuff we had to present in Israel for my visa there. My main concern though is, like i mentioned, the income requirement and if its set at a certain amount or not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:52 pm 

I should also mention, both me and my brother hold a Greek surname as our fathers cypriot. I'm pretty sure this has contributed to our smooth experiances here so far!!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body