Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:27 pm 

Hi all,

We are getting to the point now when we are seriously planning the big move over to Cyprus.

I am 50 and my husband is 55. We have our own place and do not intend to work.

We have a good idea how things work as my parents live in Cyprus and we have had our place for the last 9 years.

However:

Regarding health - I have a pre existing condition having suffered a stroke at the age of 43. Whilst I have recovered from my stroke I take 6 different tablets a day. I know that we will have to take out private health care but I wondered how I would get my medication - would a GP give me a prescription and then I go to a chemist and pay or is there another way?

Re tax - whist it will be some years before I claim my private pension - would I pay tax at my working tax rate in the UK or would I pay Cyprus tax rate

Hope all this makes sense

I hope you can help

Many thanks

Yvette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:01 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Yvette,

Regarding meds, it all depends what you are on. The list of 'prescription only' is shorter here, so many things you can get over the counter which you can only get on prescription in the UK. Whichever, you would have to pay the commercial rate. If 'prescription only' then you pay the prescription on top. Some pharmacists will sell without a prescription items that others will not.

Regarding health insurance. Pre-existing won't be covered and may prevent you getting health insurance at all. You need to investigate this now. Otherwise you might find yourself having to fork out for medical care. Thousands if it involves an operation. I can't stress the need to investigate now (unless you are very rich).

Regarding tax. As soon as you have your residency slip, get into the Cyprus tax system. Then you pay your tax to Cyprus instead of the UK. All legit and you will pay significantly less tax.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:30 pm 
Rock Star

I'm sure that you don't *have to* take out health insurance although you may feel better protected with it.

Knowing very little (sorry) is there an NHS equivalent in CY??

Also ... I've never heard an expression regarding 'ducks in a row' :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:43 pm 

You learn something new every day :crylaughin

"Complete one's preparations, become efficient and well organised. This synonym for get one's act together probably alludes to lining up target ducks in a shooting gallery. Slang; 1970s"

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:48 pm 

Shemmy...you don't say which area you will be living in. The reason I ask is that my wife registered with the Peyia Medical Centre, (there is a small, one off registration fee of just €15 per patient*, had her first appointment and was given a perscription. This was fulfilled by the pharmacy next to the medical centre who said there would be no need for 'additional scripts' since they had the medication in stock and could sell it 'over the counter'

*This one off fee includes the processing of your medical questionnaire so they can create your personal EMR (Electronic Medical Record) and a free dental check up to create your EDR (Electronic Dental Record). Both are stored on their secure, computerised medical software and available to their Clinicians and Dentists at the click of a button when you need to see them.

Your registration also entitles you to an annual €40 discount on a household subscription to Phoenix Private Ambulance Service, a €30 annual discount on a fully monitored SOS Medical Alarm and we hope to add other relevant money saving benefits in the future.
General Information
http://www.peyiamedical.com/

Fees
http://www.peyiamedical.com/appointmentfees/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:06 pm 
Star

J B wrote:

Also ... I've never heard an expression regarding 'ducks in a row' :oops:

Hilda Ogden used to have her ducks in a row. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:12 pm 

Many thanks for your replies. We have a place in Stroumbi so Peyia is accessible.

We are over again in 7 weeks so we will start to make some enquiries.

Once again many thanks

Yvette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:33 pm 
Rock Star

as far as tax is concerned there is a cut off point in the Cypriot Tax system where it is better to pay tax as an income and tax as a pension.

Pensions have a tax free sum of about €3500, then taxed at 5%
Work income has a lump free sum of €19000 then taxed at 25%

the cut off total is about €24,000. Below this better to claim it as income, higher as pension (if it is pension of course)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:01 pm 
Top of the pops

J B wrote:
I'm sure that you don't *have to* take out health insurance although you may feel better protected with it.

No, you don't "have to". However, being under state pension age you won't be eligible for a medical card and will therefore have to pay for your medical attention. One year ago today I had to have an urgent operation and am also not eligible for a medical card. The op cost 30,000. It seems J B has this amount kicking about and can relax about such things, but I didn't. Thank goodness for medical insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:43 pm 
Rock Star

Josef K wrote:
J B wrote:

No, you don't "have to". However, being under state pension age you won't be eligible for a medical card and will therefore have to pay for your medical attention. One year ago today I had to have an urgent operation and am also not eligible for a medical card. The op cost 30,000. It seems J B has this amount kicking about and can relax about such things, but I didn't. Thank goodness for medical insurance.

Josef
You deleted the other part of my quote where I asked <<Knowing very little (sorry) is there an NHS equivalent in CY??>>
If I was a miserable old s0d (although some say I am!!) I would take exception to your assumption that I have "30K kicking about and can relax about such things"
I don't know you, and you don't know me, so maybe such assumptions are better left unsaid :roll:
I live (and always have done) in the UK and rely on the NHS for my medical care.

As an irrelevant footnote, can I comment that the smilies on here are a bit bizarre - where is the basic one for a 'smiley face'???

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:48 pm 

:greetings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:54 pm 
Rock Star

:grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:15 pm 
Star

:pint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:52 pm 
Top of the pops

J B wrote:
Josef K wrote:
J B wrote:

Josef
You deleted the other part of my quote where I asked <<Knowing very little (sorry) is there an NHS equivalent in CY??>>
If I was a miserable old s0d (although some say I am!!) I would take exception to your assumption that I have "30K kicking about and can relax about such things"
I don't know you, and you don't know me, so maybe such assumptions are better left unsaid :roll:
I live (and always have done) in the UK and rely on the NHS for my medical care.

As an irrelevant footnote, can I comment that the smilies on here are a bit bizarre - where is the basic one for a 'smiley face'???

:)

No, there isn't an equivalent to a full NHS. However, there is a plan to introduce one but it won't be completely free as in the UK.
I'm sure you are no more a misserable old s0d than I am. I didn't mean to offend, so apologies. It's just that I am a bit touchy these days about people living here (I know you don't) and sticking their head in the sand regarding medical insurance. There are quite a few people who take it out to get their yellow slip and then cancel it. A friend of mine is reciving medical attention for a serious issue at the general and the bill is going up and up. No medical card and no insurance.

This is the smiley one - :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:20 pm 
Rock Star

Josef K wrote:
This is the smiley one - :-)

So .... where did you find that?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:58 pm 
Top of the pops

When you are writing your post, you will see "view more smilies" just beneath the smilies you can see. This opens a new window and you can scroll down to find what you need, or look at page 2 and 3 on that window.
:-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:42 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks - just a shame that the 'original' smiley seems to be off the page!! :roll: and there isn't a 'confused' one!!

:-)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body