Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving In June 2014
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:33 pm 

Hello everyone. This is my first post to the forum so very much a newbie but have been following the site for a while now. I've found it very useful- and entertaining- so far, but now that Steve and I have a definite moving date I know we'll glean even more information over the next few months.

We will be moving to Cyprus on 18th June next year and we absolutely can't wait. We have an apartment in Konia which we've been using as a holiday home for the past few years but the time is now right for us to finally move out permanently. This has been a long time coming.....

I thought I'd start a diary on here as I know how useful Steve and I have found reading others' experiences of moving. Of course there's lots to do and we are drowning under a sea of lists but we know it will be worth it in the end.

Would love to get to know some new friends via this forum so feel free to comment and share your hints and tips. We'll need all the help we can get!

Diane

Post subject: Re: Moving In June 2014
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:15 pm 
Top of the pops

All the best with your move.

I guess you will have noted the warnings in other posts regarding the need for guaranteed income and the (increasing) difficulty in finding work. As long as you have heeded them you will be OK.

There is a huge amount of advice here. All you have to do is ask. However daft your question, someone will have asked a dafter one so give it a go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:23 pm 
Forum Admin

Welcome to P.P
:welcome
I am sure the move will go well , have been over in the winter before ?
because for me , its bloody cold :smilielol ..
Konia is a nice village , I love the taverna at the top , biggest steak I ever ate ..
:congrats

Feel free to ask away on here , we are always willing to help ..
:greetings

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:40 pm 

Hi Josef and Neil

Thanks both for your replies.

Steve and I are in our fifties and retiring early so will have a regular income. We may want to work part time in the future but we'll see how things go.

We have visited Cyprus in the winter before and I have to say didn't find it too cold. However, I did foolishly go for a midnight swim in the pool with a few neighbours one New Year's Eve and blimey THAT was cold!

We are flying out on January 12th for our first visit of 2014 so we'll try to start organising a few things while we're there.

Neil- we love the taverna in Konia; the food and service are great. Very handy place to have on our doorstep!

Thanks again guys. This is a great website.

Diane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:13 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Diane and steve

welcome to the forum
and all the best on your move :sunny

on the packing front

bring everything and the kitchen sink :)

please bring winter clothes, especially for indoors as it could be warm outside but freezing cold indoors, slippers, dressing gowns etc etc and winter bedding quilts and winter electric under blankets, they keep your bed warm and aired and not damp and keep you snug on winter nights!

as although you have felt warm when visiting through winter times
you will acclimatise

and you WILL start to feel the cold :)

which is ok
as you also need to be able to acclimatise and live in the heat of summer lol

so it all evens out

all the best with your move

Cyprus is a lovely place to live
Maggie xx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:41 am 
Junior

Hi
Where in UK are you now based - could it be Warwickshire as I know a Steve who worked there who has a house in Konia and has been waiting to retire.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:13 pm 

Bring electric gadgets too - TV, DVD, lekky blanket/s, hair dryer/curlers, drill, food mixer, etc etc etc

Make sure you have some way of filling in your days, some reason for getting up in the mornings and NOT spending all your time quaffing beers/gins/wine/whatever and bemoaning how Cyprus is different from (ie not as good as) England.

Once settled in, try to learn a bit of Greek - it really breaks the ice with the Cypriots. :greetings

Happy move!

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:46 pm 

Thanks again to everyone for replying. All this advice is so helpful.

Lind4- Yes we do live in Warwick- we both work for Warwickshire County Council. Steve says he remembers you! Did you live in Kenilworth before moving to Paphos?

Also PW- we will definitey make sure we have a plan for our days; we know it will be a real change for us as we both have such busy lives and currently work full time. We love Cyprus so much I can't imagine we'll be moaning about it!

Will be looking at arranging removal companies soon. Peter Morton has been recommended by a few people, and we plan to call in to the offices next month, but if anyone else has any other recommendations please let us know.

Diane and Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:04 pm 
Junior

Hi - yes and yes so did I work for WCC - been here nearly 3 years now full time but found the first 18 months hard as used to see family everyday - but ok now. Will not recommend my removals as got shafted by them but wasn't Peter Morton. I did bring my PT Cruiser over on roll on roll off and that was well worth doing. I will pm my email and telephone number if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:49 pm 

Hi Linda

It would be great if you would pm me your phone number and email address. Perhaps we can meet up when Steve and I visit in January?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Diane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:34 pm 
Rock Star

L1nd4 wrote:
I did bring my PT Cruiser over on roll on roll off and that was well worth doing.

Presuming that this is a motor vehicle of some sort :oops: just remember that they changed the rules for motor vehicle imports in September 2013. The 'duty' is based on emissions now, not cc

:-(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:40 pm 
Top of the pops

Di B wrote:
Thanks again to everyone for replying. All this advice is so helpful.

Lind4- Yes we do live in Warwick- we both work for Warwickshire County Council. Steve says he remembers you! Did you live in Kenilworth before moving to Paphos?

Also PW- we will definitey make sure we have a plan for our days; we know it will be a real change for us as we both have such busy lives and currently work full time. We love Cyprus so much I can't imagine we'll be moaning about it!

Will be looking at arranging removal companies soon. Peter Morton has been recommended by a few people, and we plan to call in to the offices next month, but if anyone else has any other recommendations please let us know.

Diane and Steve

Hi, I used Burke Bros 10 & half years ago, no problems at all and not a thing broken out of complete household move.

http://www.burkebros.co.uk/#

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:27 pm 

Mal- thanks for the recommendation. We'll check out their website.

We're not planning on taking out car to Cyprus but will buy one when we're out there.

Diane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:38 pm 
Rock Star

Sent you a pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:27 pm 
Rock Star

Hi Guys,

Firstly good luck with your move...exciting times ahead...We moved over in October last year and would say we are just about settled...we just have to sort out our Cypriot tax and that's it. I would highly recommend the 5 P's...Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance....we did have a couple of surprises but in the main the move went very smoothly.....we used Peter Morton for our removals and were very happy...PM has the advantage of providing their own storage facility in Paphos which we needed. We have tried to consolidate all our insurances with one provider...like you we have retired early so need private medical insurance, if you want to PM I can provide the details. One detail, we had to front up almost €400 for medical checks etc, although this did come off the overall premium when we were accepted...and don't forget any existing medical conditions..you will not be covered for them. Registering for residency was very straight forward...just make sure you have all the required documents...including an audit trail of your income...3 months worth or UK bank statements and the same for your Cypriot bank...the Cypriot ones must be signed by the bank.
We have not been surprised by the cold...as with you we have spent some time holidaying in Cyprus so we were prepared for the recent cold snap. Warm clothes for the evenings are a must and of course heating for your property. Although we own an apartment we have decided to rent a larger property for family visits etc...we have gone with "Calor" Gas and purchased a couple heaters and bottles..seems to be doing the job.
We brought about 17.5 cu meters over with us...mostly stuff to make the house ours...but electrical items which are cheaper in the UK. The vax mop and mini dyson have already proved their worth. We watch TV through our IPads and Apple TV which in the main works well...but tends to buffer a bit when popular programmes are on!! We have gone with Primetel who provide the best VFM (In my opinion) Our package gives us landline, mobile and 8Mbs of broadband for about €40 a month.
Budget for the initial outlay of moving....then add a percentage...we got caught out with some outgoings ...not much but it all adds up...
Good luck and if we can help PM us.

Last edited by Hudswell on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 am 

Thanks for the advice Hudswell. Have sent you a pm.

Diane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:41 pm 
Rock Star

Just spotted this thread.

Hi Steve and Di, :cheers

just got off the phone from you. I am really excited that you will be out in Cyprus permanently from June. You can be one more person to beg lifts too and from the airport.
I will take you to see Simon at Deals on Wheels in April when we all get together and sort you out a car big enough to accommodate Rachel's suitcase!!!

I am over for a month in April so will pick you up at the airport when you pop over. I've found out that I would have been at the airport 30 minutes before your flight to pick up Pete and Judy (more Koniarites) so the car will be full. P & J usually only have hand luggage so it will probably be OK.

See you in Rochdale in February. Have a great week next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:06 am 

Hi Big Nev!

Is Koniarites really a word?!

It's a real shame we'll miss seeing you in Cyprus this month but looking forward to your birthday bash out there in April. Thanks for offering to pick us up from the airport. We're planning to take over quite a lot of luggage then but I'm happy to sit on the roof if need be.

I've sent Rachel a text to explain we'll have to think again about Rochdale in Feb as I'd forgotten we are babysitting in Cornwall that weekend. What a blonde I am. Perhaps we could try a weekend in March? Anyway, text or pm to let us know.

We'll have a drink or two for you this week.

Take care.

Steve and Di

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:23 pm 

Hello Di,

We live just up the road from Konia, in Armou. We moved out here last July and we're loving it. We have met quite a few other newcomers to exchange information with and a few 'old hands' too.
If I can be of any help with your move just ask.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:31 pm 

Hi Pentland

We know Armou quite well as we have visited the taverna several times.

I'm so pleased you have settled in to your new life in Cyprus. We are lucky to have made a few friends during our many holidays in Paphos, but we will definitely be looking to make some new ones too! Hopefully we'll get to meet in June.

We now have quotes from three different removal companies so will be making the final decision in the next few days.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body