Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 am

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:52 pm 
Junior

We’re really looking forward to our move to Paphos at the end of this month. Although we love Greek and Cypriot food and know that a lot of supermarkets in Cyprus stock British products, we wondered if anyone can recommend and tell us of the location of British or British style:
Butchers
Bakery
Other food emporia
And also an Asian spice shop
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:59 pm 
Rock Star

Why are you coming here?

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:13 pm 
Forum Admin

emgeeb wrote:
Why are you coming here?

Alan

maybe the same reason you are here Alan ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:15 pm 
Forum Admin

Boltonians wrote:
We’re really looking forward to our move to Paphos at the end of this month. Although we love Greek and Cypriot food and know that a lot of supermarkets in Cyprus stock British products, we wondered if anyone can recommend and tell us of the location of British or British style:
Butchers
Bakery
Other food emporia
And also an Asian spice shop
Thanks

you will not go short of brit shops , we have an abundance of them, the same with butchers
and spice shops ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:54 pm 
Top of the pops

2 British butchers that I know of,don't use either as they are more expensive than the Cypriot butchers who are excellent and their meat is very good.
Have heard of a French Bakery,again have not used it as the Cypriot Bakeries are excellent and they bake bread to die for as well as mouth watering cakes etc.
Candles available everywhere lol.
There is UK foods that stock British fare much cheaper than the Cypriot supermarkets so we do shop there for those things.
In the absence of a Boots we use the euro shop on the Polis Road for most of our toiletries and smellies etc.
We have M&S, Debenhams, Next and more shops are coming to the new Mall at the Begonia traffic lights.These shops while stocking the same as the UK are probably over a third more expensive than the UK.
Lidls has special offers on every week and are well priced .

Do try the Cypriot shops as they for the most part do give some good value for money. The Kiosks are to be avoided as they are very highly priced but ok in an emergency. You will find the bargains when you get used to living here but you will miss the "Town Centre" as we all do. You do tend to travel miles just to do a weekly shop as nothing is all in the same area.
In August however I tend to shop in my local supermarket for everything and pay a little extra but I cannot stand the heat so it is purely for convenience I do that.
Welcome to Cyprus when you come.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:33 pm 
Top of the pops

Asian shops selling spices etc:

Ruposhi Bangra opposite Ben's Bar on TOTK Road.
Philippina supermarket in the building diagonaly opposite the old police station, behind the cafe.
Philippine Kiosk in the road behind the building above.
Philippine Kiosk just down from Zorba's bakery on the way to the harbour, on the corner of the road that leads to Bar St.

They all exist to service the needs of the Philippine, Sri Lankan, and Vietnamese communities.
However, if you want Chinese spices (e.g. 5 spice), you are likely to find them at Paps.

Pop in and have a look. They are all friendly people who will be happy to chat about what you want.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:42 pm 
Junior

Thanks to everyone who replied.

To answer Alan, in particularly, we are coming to live in Cyprus after living in Crete for almost nine years; we wanted some Britishness while still retaining the same style Greek sunshine, slow pace way of life, friendliness and wonderful scenery. In Crete we have been ‘deprived’ of British foods, British shops such as M&S and Debenhams etc. and thought that Cyprus would provide us with the best of both worlds i.e. British home comforts plus Greek/Cyprusness. So hence our imminent move.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Boltonians wrote:
Thanks to everyone who replied.

To answer Alan, in particularly, we are coming to live in Cyprus after living in Crete for almost nine years; we wanted some Britishness while still retaining the same style Greek sunshine, slow pace way of life, friendliness and wonderful scenery. In Crete we have been ‘deprived’ of British foods, British shops such as M&S and Debenhams etc. and thought that Cyprus would provide us with the best of both worlds i.e. British home comforts plus Greek/Cyprusness. So hence our imminent move.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap best of both worlds.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body