Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Receiving mail
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:46 am 
Junior

Please excuse our ignorance. We’ve lived in different locations on Crete for over 8 years and have never had a postal address i.e. mail has never been delivered to the houses we’ve lived in. Our mail has been delivered to either the local shop, kafenion or village post office and placed in a communal box for collection or at one location amid numbered blocks of roadside post boxes for which we had a key. What’s the situation in Cyprus to receive mail? We’re moving to Paphos at the end of this month and we need to know what to do to receive mail.
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Receiving mail
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:49 am 
Top of the pops

It really depends upon your location as to how satisfactory it is and which contractor the postoffice uses for your area!!

Villages are basically the same as Crete.

I use the Apelia mailboxes in Chlorakas myself and happy with them.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:55 am 

The postal service is similar to the UK one. A key difference is that there is not always a daily delivery (our postie doesn't deliver in the rain :doh ). We get deliveries a couple of times a week.
Many people have postal boxes at post offices (You have to pay for these + there can be a long waiting time to get one) or at private post box companies. However, many people, such as myself, don't. I have all mail delivered to my house. Letters and some packets are delivered direct. Larger packets, parcels, and things that need a signature are retained at one of the post offices. In such cases a slip is put in your post box telling you where to go to collect it. For Peyia, where I live, parcels are collected from the post office. If tax is due to be paid on an imported item from a non EU country, parcels are collected from the new post office near the General Hospital.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:38 am 

And yet there's us 12km or so in a suburb outside of Limassol and we get post delivered to our door every day...

Sometimes we may not get a delivery on Monday but that's about it. Not only does he bring it directly to our house but he pips the horn on the scooter so the dogs know they can run outside and say hello to him...

He even tells us if we have "good" post or "bad" post (bills) either by waving it (for good post) or shaking his head when it's bills. :grin:

When we have very heavy rain like last winter he sticks plastic bags over his shoes and tends to ride around shouting "I'm a hero". It's a funny old place we live in!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body