Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:22 pm 
Regular

One way flight booked. Peter Morton (recommended) booked for collection from Devon in August & delivery in Paphos in September. It feels like it is all coming real at last, I'm getting so excited :bounce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:51 pm 
Top of the pops

all the best jo
sounds really exciting :)
and Paphos in September is beautiful
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:06 pm 
Regular

Thanks migmogs. I have had an apartment in Paphos for 5 years and come out 4 or 5 times a year. Decided it is time to be there permanently, may come back to visit friends in UK each August as I hate the humidity then. But cant wait for September now, and hopefully meet you as we do keep bumping into each other on variousd threads:-

Jo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:10 am 
Regular

Transportation & insurance paid for.
Bought lots of things to bring over which are difficult or too expensive to get in Cyprus.
Bought loads of boxed from Argos & Lidl, most of them now packed and sealed. Still need to pack my 'office' stuff. computers, printer, ink cartridges, files, paper etc. but that will be a last minute job. Boxed being collected the first week in August to go in the container, be shipped over & delivered late September.
Have sold my car, but I still have use of it until mid September.
Have sold or disposed of most of my furniture, what is left to survive on will go to the tip or be donated to charity.
Am well on schedule. Will sort out a landline & broadband connection next month.

More later.

Jo :sunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:07 pm 
Forum Admin

you must be getting excited now ? :greetings

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:29 pm 
Regular

I sure am Neil. But running my business' from Cyprus is a bit of a worry, I guess it will all pan out eventually. I have just had a new website written to cover Cyprus, and my property letting business is just about restructured. I am also a qualified estate agent (not many in Cyprus I guess), but I don't think that is worth pursuing as there are so many others in Cyprus already.

Jo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:49 pm 
Regular

Another step closer:

17 boxes and 10 other items now collected & hopefully being shipped today. When the boxes finally left it was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. All I have in the UK now are a few clothes and my laptop & printer. Which will all go in my suitcase on the 21st September. :celebrate

Only the landline & broadband left to organise now...

Jo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:21 pm 
Star

Hi Jo,

I thought I might be able to sort out Primetel landline and broadband from the UK, and agree a connection date within a couple of days of arrival. Given that you can apply over the internet and they allow you to pay the deposit by credit card, I thought this might be possible. Not so, in fact it probably confuses things.

To arrange a landline with Primetel you need to go into their office with ID, address conformation and pay the deposit. The deposit is less if you own your Cyprus property, so if you do take in your deeds or some other proof of purchase. After going into the office, they will probably arrange to come round and do the connection within 7-10 days.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:32 pm 
Regular

Hi Kevin and thank-you.

On the website it did say you could arrange it on line, which was what I was going to do.
Bother, that just adds to time delay if I have to go to their office when over there.

Thanks for the info though.

regards
Jo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:59 pm 
Regular

Finally made it (long story). Life never runs as smoothly as you expect thou, no matter how much you plan it. Getting a landline & broadband was a nightmare, and my new Samsung Smart TV; well that’s another story. Suffice to say, they do work in Cyprus with no dish or top box – but you only get computer connections ie various apps for You Tube, BBC news, filmon etc. and getting the keyboard up to use a browser takes so long its not worth the effort; yes I know you can link your computer or Ipad but I don’t want to. BUT to get normal UK TV, you do require a top box which makes the TV think it is tuned into UK TV. (am waiting for Computer SOS to programme me one of these boxes).

So I am here, loving being in Cyprus, but still a long way to go before I am settled…

Jo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 pm 
Regular

Kevin - am now on Primetel & happy with it, but you was correct. It was impossible to organised from the UK, regardless of what their website says.

Jo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:05 pm 
Forum Admin

welcome to the sunny side ..
:greetings

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:17 am 
Regular

Thanks Neil

Am sure I shall meet quite a few of you in due course.

Its good to finally be here.

Jo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:30 pm 

Alot of people put filmontv on their computer/laptop and plug it in to their television to watch uk telly and its free. Not brilliant standard and the adverts are annoying but again, its free.

Welcome to Cyprus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:00 pm 
Rock Star

Hi Jo,

We are in a similar position to you having moved over in October....Have you registered for Residency yet? We have our appointment on the 12 Dec...I think we are good to go but you never know!!!
We also used Peter Morton, and Mark Chudley in the UK, excellent service....we had one broken glass...very impressed. Also on Primetel, again very pleased, everything went like clockwork for us. I use my Apple TV connected by HDMI cable to my Sony TV to steam from my I Touch or I Pad or indeed my I Mac...use a VPN for catch up, I suppose the only slight problem is the time difference for the soaps!. All in all very happy, and touch wood going smoothly... :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:57 pm 
Regular

Hi Husdwell (sorry I don't know your name)

I too used Chudleys in the UK, are you from the South West? Yes I was very happy with PmR, not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for and I was happy. Primetel is good, I have landline, broadband & mobile. Not being a techy, I went for a simple option, clearstream via broadband into HTMI port on my TV - so far so good.

No I havnt applied for residency yet, I guess I should but don't know the procedure or where to go. It is on the 'to do' list.

Jo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:20 pm 
Rock Star

I would move the residency thing up on the "To Do List". I do believe there is a time limit on when you should register...it may be 4 months but I might be wrong...it all gets a bit confusing what with your standing as a EU citizen....I will let you know how we get on...it's not too onerous...but you do have to go to the immigration office with your passport first to make the appointment, they will also give you a list of the documents you need to produce at the interview. We are also hoping to register to pay tax in Cyprus (Govt offices opposite the law courts), just found out that that costs €85....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:36 pm 
Regular

Hello again

Yes please do let me know how you get on tomorrow. I didn't realise it was an urgent thing, as you say I should move it higher up 'the list'. Can you please tell me where the immigration office is then and I will take my passport and get the ball rolling. Although I am back in the UK 18th December to 1st Jan, even so I will be within my 4 months if it still as you thought. Then I too need to register for Cypriot tax, what a palaver!

Good luck.

Jo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:25 pm 
Rock Star

http://s636.photobucket.com/user/trevnh ... e.jpg.html

Hope this works....

The white building highlighted has a bathroom dealership on the ground floor...if you look down the side you will see a sigh for the immigration office, 2nd floor I think.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:59 pm 

it's 90 days not 4 months https://www.gov.uk/living-in-cyprus

Registration & Social Insurance
When moving to Cyprus, it is important to visit the local immigration office to register and to apply for a residency permit (now often referred to as ‘the yellow slip’). Applicants will need to provide evidence of identity and address, and may sometimes be asked to confirm and prove their date of entry into Cyprus, as well as any medical insurance in place. Fees charged by lawyers or agents vary significantly, and applicants may well find the task simple enough to undertake without the assistance of such individuals of firms.
It is important to note that this application for residency may result in the obligation to pay a regular Social Insurance contribution, depending on the applicant’s circumstances.

Income Tax
New residents are only able to visit their local income tax office and fulfil their obligations in this regard once they have been through the steps outlined above.
An individual is considered resident in Cyprus for income tax purposes if they are present in Cyprus for a period exceeding 183 days in the tax year in question. If this condition is met, tax is imposed on income arising from sources within Cyprus and outside Cyprus.
Taxable Income (€)* Tax Rate (%)
0 - 19,500 0
19,501 - 28,000 = 20%
28,001 - 36,300 = 25%
36,301 - 60,000 = 30%
60,000+ = 35%

Defence Tax
All residents of Cyprus are subject to a special defence contribution on some sources of unearned income (such as dividends or bank interest). This ranges between 3 percent and 30 percent depending on the source and personal circumstances.

*These rates are correct at 4 November 2013. Many exemptions, deductions, carry-forward losses, tax credits (eg. for foreign tax paid) and allowances may be available and it is recommended that you fully investigate these and the use of any double taxation agreements (DTAs) prior to taking any action. There are many qualified accountants in Cyprus who are able to help with the completion of tax returns, and advise their clients on making the most of available allowances.

**For amounts exceeding €3420 per year, pensioners have the right to choose to be taxed under this mode of taxation or at normal rates. Choosing to include pensions under ‘normal rates/return’ will result in pensions being added to other income.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Last edited by M.A.D on Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:37 pm 
Star

Hudswell is correct about tax , 85e per person . And if you are in a rental property they ask to see the rental agreement , if it is above a certain amount they also charge for a stamp on it .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:06 pm 
Rock Star

How much is the stamp??....This just gets better.......

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:10 pm 
Regular

Thanks Hudswell, yes it works, I will print it off & go in search on Friday.

Thanks also Dave, very useful info. I went into the website, found the page for immigration forms but nothing came up. Lots of info but no phone numbers. Obviously this task is more urgent than I first thought.

Thanks also Number 6, that will be a New Year task!

regards Jo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:20 pm 
Rock Star

http://www.moi.gov.cy/MOI/CRMD/CRMD.nsf ... enDocument

The form MEU1a is at the bottom of the link. The form states 4 months...hence the confusion....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:25 pm 
Rock Star

pinkcamicar wrote:
Alot of people put filmontv on their computer/laptop and plug it in to their television to watch uk telly and its free. Not brilliant standard and the adverts are annoying but again, its free.

Welcome to Cyprus

If you have a laptop with Windows 8 you can download the app for FilmOn

Then there are no adverts!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:45 pm 
Regular

Thanks again Hudwell, that saves my panic until I return after Christmas. IF anyone argues, there is paper proof & I printed it off to take with me.

regards Joan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:06 am 
Rock Star

Did the deed today and no problem....our appoint was for 8.30 but number 16 and 17...! Luckily we got in to see the advisor at 8.50....we obviously looked an easy option compared to others that had turned up.....all our paper work was in order ...took 10 mins...now the proud owners of our papers...he was not concerned with any of the detail...just make sure you have all the stuff and copies..very simple process. All I would say is that there is a lot of confusing information out there partly because it has not been updated...I thought we had supposed to have registered with the local police for a ALIEN REGISTRATION CARD, but this is not the case....I doubt if any notice if the 3 or 4 month time limit is adhered to ...and for you Jo...you are going home for Christmas so your last entry into Cyprus will be on your return......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:32 am 
Regular

Thanks Hudswell, yes the information is a bit confusing, but we are bringing cash into to a cash strapped country, so I cant really see why they would refuse. I am gathering the necessary paperwork now, and as you say my last trip back into Cyprus as a none registered alien will be after Christmas.

Jo

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body