The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Saudi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:54 pm 
Major

hi all,

This site seems very lively and friendly so thought I would ask my questions.....I am British currently living in Saudi with my family.....I plan to place my 3 children in The Learning Centre (TLC) if we like the school and the area..... I want to stay in a hotel for a week when we arrive near the school and then if I like the area I will be looking for a large appartment to rent. Please can you give me some info on St George area and a site on internet where I can look at some appartments to rent....would like a complex if possible......I want appartment within walking distance from the school....Many thanks.

Post subject: Re: Hello from Saudi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:59 pm 
Forum Admin

Hi
Welcome to Paphos people ..
:greetings
I dont know where that school is , but I am sure someone on here
will be able to help you ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:38 pm 
Top of the pops

The area is very nice and the school is relatively new I think. There are plenty of rentals around there and bargains to be had. Not a lot of apartments/complexes close to the school,mostly villas but you can get one for around 500 euros a month with pool.
There are no shops within walking distance,you really would have to have transport if you live that far out from Coral Bay.
I would not want to live on a complex with 3 small children but maybe you want to be around a lot of other people ,so the choice is yours. A lot of apartments do seem to be 2 beds,3 beds can be a bit cramped if you can get them.
T he nearest Hotel to St.Georges is Coral Bay and you will need a hire car to get around and see what is available and what the school is like.
Maybe a Mum can give you more information on the school.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:31 pm 

TLC was originally in central Peyia. It combined with St Pirans (which was St Georges), which was in located Sea Caves. TLC moved to it's new location up in St Georges area last summer. Most of the children at the school live in Peyia. There really is very little housing or anything else within walking distance of the school.

It's impossible to live in the Paphos with children going to a private British school without a car (or spending money of a lot of taxis). The only school with a few house around is the international but there's not a lot else. It's quite tricky full stop to live in Cyprus without a car.

I would recommend TLC but I'm friends with a few of the teachers there and don't really know it from a parents point of view. You didn't say what age your children are, but they do IGSCE in a lot of subjects and are starting to do A-levels as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:17 pm 
Major

Thank you so very very much for your very detailed replies.....my children are 16,12,9........So, if I lived in Peyia how far by car is the TLC school?

I presume there is a school bus from Peyia to TLC?

Are there ample shops, etc in peyia.

Are there any clubs etc my children could join?

Renting an appartment is Peyia will be easier and more variety?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:00 pm 

I've done a screen shot from googlemaps. For the route from Central Peyia to the school's location, it about 10mins by car. It also shows you Sea Caves area.

I don't live out that way, so probably best to ask someone else about the different areas/estates.

I'm really not sure about school bus, other that what's on their website.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:38 am 
Top of the pops

Peyia certainly has plenty of shops of every description,bars,tavernas,gyms, etc etc so no problem there.
There are plenty of apartments available but you may find a larger 3 bed townhouse more suitable for your needs.
There are plenty of agents doing lettings,Mr.Rent, Flowron,Busy bees to name 3 easily found on line.
Owners Abroad and Owners direct also have a plethora of rental properties available.
You should get what you want between 350 to 500 euros a month plus utilities.
Lots of cars available for sale but second hand cars are expensive here. You do need a car in Peyia as the bus service is not very good.There probably isn't a school bus from Peyia to St.Georges but there may be,I honestly don't know.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:36 am 
Major

Ladies, I can't thank you enough for your help.....if all goes well I will be visiting peyia and the school shortly in view of staying long term....so excited after 25yrs in Saudi :sunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:29 am 
Major

just one more question......where would you recommend I book into a nice hotel....Peyia or more near the sea ?coral bay....? Any nice hotels you can suggest...me, my 3 children and my parents..Thanks...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:44 am 
Top of the pops

Cannot speak for the rooms,but The Coralia Beach Hotel in Coral Bay is in a super spot and it is where the bus terminates from Paphos so right on your doorstep.About 2 miles from the school and a mile from Peyia Village.
I can reccomend a car hire to you if you cannot get a travel agent to book it.
There are other hotels in Coral Bay if you do a google search.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:06 pm 
Forum Admin

The Corallia Hotel
The Coral beach hotel
Crown resorts hotel
Thalasa Hotel (expensive)
There are a few more that slip my mind at the moment ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:18 pm 
Major

Beverley and Neil, thank you ever so much for your help :heart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:50 pm 
Top of the pops

I had a quick look on "trip adviser" regarding the hotels Neil mentioned and by far the best reviews came for the Coral Beach Hotel.
The Corallia Beach which I mentioned had very mixed reviews regarding the rooms etc so I can only suggest you look for yourself.
We have had the odd lunch there and it has been fine with pleasant service out of season but that is the extent of my knowledge on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:25 pm 
Major

Thanks Beverley, I will have a look around x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 pm 
Major

Will I need to pack any thick jumpers/sweaters if I come February....Having lived in Saudi for 25yrs I have no idea how to dress for anything other than very hot temps!! I don't own any cold weather clothes :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:07 pm 
Top of the pops

You will definately need to pack warm clothes as February is still winter here and even though it can be sunny during the day,it gets very chilly when the sun goes down. There are plenty of shops here where you can buy clothes but they tend to be more expensive than the UK,don't know about where you are living in comparison.
Jeans and t shirts will do during the day with possibly a warm fleece type jacket.If you have any wraps bring them as they are good for evenings too.
It can be quite warm in the sun and out of the wind but after where you have lived it will feel cold.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:23 pm 
Major

Thanks Beverley...will go shopping for a few warmer items.... Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thanks again for answering my questions...much appreciated .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm 
Major

Was just chatting to my parents about bringing them to cyprus for 3 months..their main concern was bringing 3 months of medication with them...pain killers, heart tablets, diabetic medicine,blood pressure meds etc.....what is the rule for this? Do they need to get a letter from their doctor.
Also can they recieve their weekly pension in cyprus?

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:50 pm 
Top of the pops

We had no problem bringing our meds in from the UK so they should have none.A letter from the Doctor is always handy as a back up though in case of any questions. You can get most meds over the counter here,even heart pillls so not really a problem.

If they are only coming for 3 months they need not have their pensions paid here but it is possible to have it paid here once they are permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:22 pm 
Major

Thanks Beverley, that should ease their worries :sunny

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body