Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:44 am

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My moving Diary
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:37 pm 
Junior

Well just 7 weeks on Monday and I will be taking a one way ticket to my wonderful new life in Cyprus.
I'm going to start this diary as I think they are so useful to others who are making the move.

As I said it's 7 weeks to go and I've already done loads in preperation for the move. At first I was going to ship everything but the kitchen sink over, then I changed my mind (this mind changing has become a frequent event!) The reason: My car still has some finance outstanding and after contacting the finance company I was told I wasn't allowed to take the car out of the UK while they had a financial interest in it, which is understandable, so the car stays, my son has recently passed his driving test so he has now inherited a car which he is extremely happy about! As for the furniture, well as I am giving Cyprus 12 months before I make a final decision whether to stay or not (although I really don't think I'll be coming back to the UK) I thought it would be silly to pay a couple of thousand pounds to ship everything over only to have to ship it back / sell it should something drastic happen and I did have to come back. So the decision was to rent furnished for 12 months and take it from there. I am bringing personal items but just small things, I found a great website that will send boxes over to Cyprus, takes just 3-5 days to arrive and their prices are really competitive, the company is we deliver the world. Its cheaper to have your boxes collected from a business address rather than a house but I have my own business here in the UK so that works out fine for me. So thats that part sorted.
I booked a holiday let through holiday lettings for the first 2 weeks so that I could have a look around for a place to live when I arrived. I contaced lots of letting agents by email and gave them a "wish list" of areas of preference etc etc. I found the agents to be extremely helpful not just with the apartment finding but also with other valuable information like their views on some of the areas I had mentioned, public transport, healthcare, utilities etc. However just before Christmas I thought I'd pop a request on Anglo Info, again I stated my wish list. A couple of days later I was contacted by a couple who have an apartment that had just come empty and had all but 1 of my list requests... My friend who lives in Cyprus (who has been a god send!)went to have a look at the apartment for me, took some photographs for me to have a look at, I rang the owner and we negotiated rent etc, they agreed to hold the apartment for me until I arrive, the contracts were signed and deposit made, all within 2 weeks. I can't express what a relief it is to have somewhere permanent to live sorted out, I would have waited had I had to but this is much better. The owner of the holiday let has agreed to just let me have her apartment for 1 week instead of 2. I am still going to use the holiday let so that I can sort out the transfer of electricity and telephone line and internet installed in the permanent place before I move in.
As I said I have my own business here so I've had to employ and train new staff etc but the main gripe with this has been sorting out my tax situation, I'm sure they make tax affairs as confusing as possible on purpose, why can't they just explain things in plain english that we can understand? Anyway I think i've got a vague idea of how it all works now after hours of internet searching and I'm off to see my accountant on Monday o see if I am correct so I will update on this when I know for sure.
Just now I'm trying to decide what to bring with me and what to sell and what to store and what to donate to charity(this is another one I keep changing my mind about) I bought some double walled packing boxes from a business on ebay, they came the day after ordering them, I have decided how many boxes I'm bringing so now I have to decide whats going in them, this could take a while!
Arranged a car boot to do in the middle of March to get rid of the last bits that I don't need, my tenancy here ends in the middle of March too when I will be moving in with my parents for the last 2 weeks before flying out!
Well I've just read that back and it doesn't seem much but, I can tell you so far there has been lots of ups and downs and no doubt lots more to come.
This is all I can think to write so far that may be helpful to others, I'll keep updating as things progress and if anyone can think of anything else that maybe useful to me or anyone else please add :)
I'm also a member of another forum so I'm going to post this on there aswell....
Looking forward to Cyprus see you all soon :seeya

Post subject: Re: My moving Diary
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:45 pm 
Top of the pops

Leesa, reading this has taken me back over 5 years to when I was preparing for the big move :D I have used we deliver the world when I've been shipping back from the UK (think shopping expeditions :lol: ) and I have found them to be very good.

So which area will you be moving to? And don't forget about the taverna nights for when you get here, a good way to meet people and find out more information - we'll have to have a ladies coffee meet as well, when you get here.

Keep us posted on how things are going :greetings :greetings

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:10 pm 
Junior

Hi Jean :greetings
I'm moving to Mandria. Pissouri was my first choice as it's about halfway between Paphos & Limassol I believe and I liked the sound of the village, Mandria was my second choice and the more I've researched Mandria the more I've decided that I have probably got the right place in the end. In any case I have a 12 month rental contract so if I do decide I want to move somewhere else then I can do once I've found my feet in 12 months.
Oh yes I'm really looking forward to the Taverna nights, I'm up for them, sounds great and the meet ups for coffee too.
I looked at quite a few companies to send my boxes over and prices vary A LOT! We deliver the world came up with the cheapest quote and with the well known company TNT so I'm happy with using them.
Can you think of anything else that I (or anyone else) might find useful to know??
Lisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:42 pm 
Top of the pops

Bring what you think you won't need! Bring warm clothes (you'll need them next winter), if you like to be warm in bed, then an electric blanket - it can get very cold in the winter. Clothes are expensive over here, that's why when I go back I end up shipping a suitcase full back :lol:

The thing is, when you get here, and now you've found we deliver the world, you can always ship over again. Mandria has some super tavernas, an excellent fish and chip shop, and not far from town really. You'll definitely need a car up there, but you can get that sorted when you get here. Not long now :lol: :greetings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:42 pm 

Jean

I hate clothes shopping! Both here in Cyprus and when I was back in UK.

All I do is buy jeans, t-shirts and flip flops/sandals - oh, and underwear/socks because the sun rots the elastic very quickly if you hang washing out to dry in the sunshine :shock:

I've managed 7 years and 48 weeks without going back to UK so I've managed to do all of my shopping here in Cyprus.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Blimey, Shell - don't know how you've managed it, although there are now more and more companies shipping to Cyprus. Mind you, I do love to shop :heart :greetings :greetings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:51 pm 
Rock Star

Mandria seems to be a very nice village and can be busy even in Winter. We were there last Sunday at the Fish and Chip restaurant. Boy were they busy. I had the set menu fish, chips, mushy peas, tea and bread and butter. I could not quite finish it all.

Good luck. Trev..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:58 pm 
Junior

trevnhil wrote:
Mandria seems to be a very nice village and can be busy even in Winter. We were there last Sunday at the Fish and Chip restaurant. Boy were they busy. I had the set menu fish, chips, mushy peas, tea and bread and butter. I could not quite finish it all.

Good luck. Trev..

Thanks Trev
I've heard about the fish and chip restaurant in Mandria and about the lovely tavernas (not that they've swayed my decision in any way what so ever :lol: )
Had a lot of positive feedback about Mandria itself too which makes me feel its the right place, for now anyway.
Lisa

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:56 am 
Junior

Went to see my accountant today. My accountant is also my cousin so I do feel that he's advising me with my best interests at heart.
He says he's never come across my situation and that his clients that have moved abroad have sold up before moving "theres always one and its usually you Lisa" is what he actually said So he's going to look into it further and let me know.
As everyones circumstances are different I don't think it would be wise for me to go into detail on my specific case but theres loads of information on the hmrc.gov.uk website for self employed and employed people moving abroad.
Thats all for now
Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:34 pm 

Hi,

In similar situation, but we bought 3 years ago, moving out end April, you will find the paphos peole so freindly and helpfull,as will be most of the locals.

Norman, Tala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:11 pm 
Top of the pops

Wow it all sounds so exciting for you! All the best in your new life here. People are generally very friendly and welcoming, just holler if you need anything! Look forward to meeting you. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:28 pm 
Top of the pops

hi lisa
all exciting stuff
we are in the process of moving here purselves
spent 6 months here for last winter
packed up our things and arived back here last oct
just a couple of things
please bring over your boots.....you WILL need them for wintertime
I gave away some fabulous winter gilets, jumpers and coats.....thinking I wouldn't need them here.....wrong....this winter has been very long, wet and cold......and I definitely wish I had brought my winter things with me
although the temps seem high in comparrison with uk......it can be really cold indoors....or as soon as the sun isn't out......so winter woolies, socks and warm slippers and dressing gown needed
also you will need a winter weight quilt......and we couldn't live without our electric underblanket as the beds can feel cold and damp.....and this sorts that problem out
don't know if you like to cook?
but a potato masher..can't get them here at all....and bring your garlic press if you use one.as can't get a good one of them iether here
this time I boxed up and had sent over early a small food processor./for making cole slaws..cakes.soups etc etc used it loads
know of an excellent car rental guy if you need one :o)
all the best with your move
enjoy Mandria
maggie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:08 am 
Junior

migmogs wrote:
hi lisa
all exciting stuff
we are in the process of moving here purselves
spent 6 months here for last winter
packed up our things and arived back here last oct
just a couple of things
please bring over your boots.....you WILL need them for wintertime
I gave away some fabulous winter gilets, jumpers and coats.....thinking I wouldn't need them here.....wrong....this winter has been very long, wet and cold......and I definitely wish I had brought my winter things with me
although the temps seem high in comparrison with uk......it can be really cold indoors....or as soon as the sun isn't out......so winter woolies, socks and warm slippers and dressing gown needed
also you will need a winter weight quilt......and we couldn't live without our electric underblanket as the beds can feel cold and damp.....and this sorts that problem out
don't know if you like to cook?
but a potato masher..can't get them here at all....and bring your garlic press if you use one.as can't get a good one of them iether here
this time I boxed up and had sent over early a small food processor./for making cole slaws..cakes.soups etc etc used it loads
know of an excellent car rental guy if you need one :o)
all the best with your move
enjoy Mandria
maggie

Hi Maggie :greetings
Thanks for your reply and advice on the things to bring that you wouldn't think you would need, its much appreciated and thanks everyone else for your best wishes and advice too, I look forward to meeting you all soon maybe.

So this is my moving diary update hope it helps others! :
Latest......
Been at a bit of a loose end the past week or so as there isn't really a lot more I can do now until nearer the move date, which is a bit frustrating because when it comes to the last 2 weeks I'll be running round like a mad woman trying to get everything done!

But heres what I have managed to do this week so far:
I had another meeting with my accountant, he informs me that I need to de-register for tax with a form P85 (for self employed to be a non resident of the UK but still have a business here) before I leave. I will then still be allowed my personal tax allowance in the UK so allowed to earn £7520 (i think it is) before being taxed in the UK, then I can work in Cyprus and just pay tax in Cyprus for anything I earn over there seperately, I will still have to fill in a self assessment in the UK though.

Had a visit to the doctors to see how easy it is to get a copy of my medical records, quite easy apparantly, they will send them to me on a disc if I want them, for a fee of course!
I also asked about a tetanus injection as I plan on helping out at an animal shelter over there and better to be safe than sorry. The doctor told me that the guidelines had been changed (again) regarding tetanus and so long as you have had the 5 injections they give you when your at school and had at least 1 tetanus then you will be covered for life and won't need another.

Rang the water board and Virgin Media and informed them of my moving date, also rang the electric company however I have to ring them back when I leave with the final meter readings. Rang my mobile phone company aswell to see if I could get out of my contract early (it doesn't end until July) but no joy there, looks like I will have to pay up until the end of the contract, never mind it was worth a try. And finally I rang the Tv Licensing to cancel my direct debit, I was told to ring back 2 weeks before I leave the property and I will probably be due a refund as when you pay by direct debit you pay for your licence in advance

Thats it so far...
Only 34 days now until I board that plane! Wow I can hardly believe I'm finally doing this
Happy Happy Happy :bounce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 am 
Top of the pops

hi lisa
glad all is going so amamzingly well
almost there
we drove to Mandria to visit their amazing fish and chip shop a few days back :D
lovely, small village, after a short past some fields, found the beach,, which was absolutely beautiful, when we got there :D
I did see a bus stop, busses tend to be very cheap over here
not sure on bus times
in the village square we saw @ 3- 4 tavernas..1 does a karaoke twice a week.....a tiny supermarket....more like a corner shop...1 hairdresser....no bank....no bakers or chemist...unless we missed them, or all are incorperated in the corner shop :D
so like jean says a car would apear to be a must eventually for getting to the bigger supermarkets, banks and Paphos etc etc Geriskipou a lively area of Paphos... and is @ a 10- 15 min drive away
unless of course you have a friend or friends with a car allready for weekly shopping :D and getting money out of the bank
just a thought
don't exchange sterling for euro's in the uk...iether bring as much sterling as you can..and exchange down in one of the kiosks down on the Harbour,much better exchange rate than in the UK... or at the moment with RBS I am getting @ 1.20 euro to the £ using an ATM machine.charging @ £1.25 per transaction
hope all this helps
as you say you are almost here
and so is the sunny weather after a very long (for here) cold, wet, windy, spell, which has lasted till nbow from Christmas :shock:
but all warming up nicely now :D
all the best
maggie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:07 pm 
Junior

migmogs wrote:
hi lisa
lovely, small village, after a short past some fields, found the beach,, which was absolutely beautiful, when we got there :D
This is great news as I love the beach and Mandria sounds like just the place I was hoping for!
I did see a bus stop, busses tend to be very cheap over here
not sure on bus times
in the village square we saw @ 3- 4 tavernas..1 does a karaoke twice a week.....a tiny supermarket....more like a corner shop...1 hairdresser....no bank....no bakers or chemist...unless we missed them, or all are incorperated in the corner shop :D
Ooo Karaoke! Best bring my best singing voice :)
so like jean says a car would apear to be a must eventually for getting to the bigger supermarkets, banks and Paphos etc etc Geriskipou a lively area of Paphos... and is @ a 10- 15 min drive away
Got a car sorted, I assumed as I didn't want to live in the tourist area that I would need a car to get around so I'm sorted on that one.
unless of course you have a friend or friends with a car allready for weekly shopping :D and getting money out of the bank
Money out of the bank?? No no no I'm having a euro money tree on my balcony :lol: if only ey!
just a thought
don't exchange sterling for euro's in the uk...iether bring as much sterling as you can..and exchange down in one of the kiosks down on the Harbour,much better exchange rate than in the UK... or at the moment with RBS I am getting @ 1.20 euro to the £ using an ATM machine.charging @ £1.25 per transaction
Great advice, it's funny because I was in the post office the other day and as I was queueing I was thinking about this as they had some posters up about currency exchange, I was wondering what to do...question answered thanks.
hope all this helps
as you say you are almost here
and so is the sunny weather after a very long (for here) cold, wet, windy, spell, which has lasted till nbow from Christmas :shock:
My friend who lives in Cyprus has been telling me about the shocking weather you've been having over there lately, bring on the sunshine!
but all warming up nicely now :D
Thanks again Maggie
all the best
maggie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:01 pm 
Top of the pops

hi leesa
you sound ready for the off
all boundries sound covered
well done you on the car bit
sure you will love living over here
bring us a Euro money tree with you from blighty..as def could use one or three :D
maggie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:41 am 
Junior

Well I've got just 10 days left in the UK.

As suspected this week has been so busy packing and sorting the house out etc etc. Finally everything that I'm sending over is packed into boxes and ready to go. I think the people at my local hardware shop think I have a problem as I have been back so many times to buy more parcel tape! My advice to anyone sending things over in boxes would be if you think you're going to need 10 rolls of parcel tape treble it!!

I've measured and weighed all the boxes and got a quote from we deliver the world, I'm impressed with the price they have quoted especially with the 3-5 working days delivery service.

Got a refund from Yorkshire Water today for £7.15!!! Not a lot but better in my bank than theirs. I have decided to transfer my TV License over to my son rather than request a refund, this has to be done in writing providing both signatures. Just waiting for now to see if I owe the council any money for council tax.

So now all thats left to do is finish painting the house, move to my parents for a week, ring up about my private pension and life insurance, attend my leaving party and get on that aeroplane with my one way ticket :clapping

I've got to say organising everything and packing and sorting things has been hard work, tiring and sometime stressful but I'm sure its all going to be worthwhile. At last my dream is to come true :celebrate and it still hasn't quite sunk in!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:29 am 
Forum Admin

See ya soon
:greetings

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:29 am 

Yep I agree, the packing was the most stressful part too...

Deciding what part of your "life" to take with you and which bit to leave behind was difficult. But, I did bring ALL of my cuddly toys :lol:

They're still in the boxes, never been unpacked since the day we arrived in March 2004 - but at least they're still with me....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:44 am 
Top of the pops

all the best
soon be here
all that packing stress will then melt away :D
maggie :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:28 pm 
Junior

Just 2 days to go! My belongings are on their way and I'll not be long behind!

I've got to say that this week saying goodbye to my family and friends has been even harder than last week when I was packing my things up, selling things and lugging furniture up and down. This week has been emotionally draining and a lot harder than I expected, I'm not sure that I could do it again to be honest, thankfully I only intend on doing it once anyway.

My boxes were collected today by TNT and "should" take 3-5 working days to arrive in Cyprus so I'll be there by the time they arrive. I had a slight hiccup with the delivery company... When I was entering my details for the delivery address a pop up came on the screen saying that the postcode I had entered was in a remote area and there would be a remote area surcharge. I thought "Mandria isn't remote" so I checked on TNT's own website, they provide a list of the postcodes in each country that incur the surcharge, mine wasn't on there. So then I telephoned we deliver the world and explained my problem and also informed them that my postcode wasn't on TNT's website. I was told that they would have to call the delivery company in Cyprus to check if there was a surcharge to pay and how much extra it was going to cost. I must say I had to laugh when I asked how long this would take as I was hoping to get the boxes picked up this week, the reply was "well we have to wait for them to wake up and start work in Cyprus first before anyone will reply" I did inform the gentleman that the people in Cyprus had probably started work well before he did as they were 2 hours in front. I was surprised that he wouldn't know this! :doh Anyway I got a reply within a couple of hours actually from the delivery company in Cyprus saying that my postcode wasn't remote and there wouldn't be an extra charge...phew....sorted!

So now all that is left to do is pack up my suitcase and get on the plane. I have had so many presents bought and I keep buying bits and bobs that I think I'll need that I really don't know how I'm going to fit everything in. Luckily my son and his girlfriend are coming over with me for a couple of weeks so I've already claimed some of their luggage allowance, I still don't think everythings going to fit in but what won't fit can stay here.

Oh one more thing, I've been and got myself a reloadable euro travelex cash passport card, there aren't any charges on these cards to add cash or withdraw from cashpoints or on purchases. They can be loaded online, by telephone or at asda or a travel agents. I think this card will save me quite a bit on charges etc that you get from banks so seems a good idea to me.

Thats all for now, I'll probably be in beautiful Cyprus for my next update :celeb2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:00 am 
Top of the pops

all exciting stuff
and the weather is here as well now :D
beautiful and sunny :D
like you we found the last weeks physically and emotionally draining....but once we got here......all that was soon forgotton :D
as we settled into our new laid back lifestyle
glad your son and girlfriend will be here with you for the first 2 weeks.
whilst you make friends and settle in
have a good one
maggie :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:58 pm 

Hi
Just been reading your diary and really really interesting, as I too am looking for make the move later in the year. Let me know how you are getting on and how you are finding it.

Many thanks

Debbie.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:22 am 
Junior

Hi everyone
Well I arrived last monday so been here a week and a bit now and so far so good! My friend here has been a godsend, showing me around and introducing me to people and coming to my rescue when I broke down! I have to say I'm glad I've got someone here to help me out with things, its made life much easier as I have been messed around a few times, by an english person! But hopefully that's all sorted now. Last week was a little stressful but I knew it would be, I've just moved to another country, new place, new people, new culture and a new way of life, I'd have been silly to have thought anything else. Not half as stressful as my life in the uk though and once I got into the swing of things everything is easier.
I had a holiday let already booked for my first week so I flew in and stayed there 1 night, then moved into my rental the next day as it was ready, well sort of.
The first week has been a case of driving round and getting my bearings really. I signed up with primetel for my internet and landline and ended up with a great deal including a mobile at half price, €24.99 for 6 months with free installation. You have to pay a deposit which was €50 for the mobile and €164 for the internet and landline. They normally install within 15 working days but as its easter soon mine will take around 20 but at least its sorted.
I love the village I chose to live in, Mandria, its everything I expected and wanted and I think i'll be happy here. The people are friendly and there's most things you need up in the square but paphns is just a short drive away too.
My boxes arrived in 2 parts, some came friday and the rest yesterday. I would highly recommend wedelivertheworld.co.uk. Everything arrived on time and in 1 piece, just one of my boxes had been opened and checked by customs but that was a box with some tools in and everything had been put back neatly packed. Cannot fault their service at all!
So as i haven't got my internet on yet I'm using my mobile, blackberry do a roaming service which is £15 per month, unlimited internet and that can be ordered either at home or when you arrive, its been a bit of a lifeline for me this passed week I have to say. Mandria village has free wifi too which is handy!
So now I need to unpack my stuff and get into cyprus living!
I haven't any regrets at all about moving but the hardest part was saying goodbye to my parents, I knew it would be hard but it was 100 times harder, I'm glad I'm here now though. Its 8am the suns out and I'm sat on my balcony with a coffee listening to the birds singing away, what more could I want!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:35 am 

Welcome to Cyprus. Sounds like you have made great progress in such a short time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:45 am 
Master

Well done Leesa it's good to hear the final part of your story and all is well.

We was in mandria for fish and chips yesterday....yum yum.

Good luck for the future.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:41 pm 
Junior

Just wanted to share my fantastic news with everyone.

I went for an interview this morning and was offered the job this afternoon! I start tomorrow. I am so happy, I can't believe how everything has fallen into place for me since moving to Cyprus 16 days ago.

Happy happy happy! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm 
Forum Admin

It was very nice to meet you at the market on sunday .
had you come in an hour before , You could have met all the others , they had not long gone.
Though I must say , I would not have recognized you from your picture on here ..
you look much younger in real life ..
(I try to stay away from compliments, as I normally put my foot in it)
:doh :lol:
Congrats on the new job ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 pm 
Junior

Neil wrote:
It was very nice to meet you at the market on sunday .
had you come in an hour before , You could have met all the others , they had not long gone.
Though I must say , I would not have recognized you from your picture on here ..
you look much younger in real life ..
(I try to stay away from compliments, as I normally put my foot in it)
:doh :lol:
Congrats on the new job ..

Hi Neil thank you and yes my photo does make me look a tad over my tender 21 years doesn't it :smilielol :smilielol

I met up with Jean today, we were wondering if you were going to sort a taverna night out soon then I can meet the others?
Make sure its somewhere I won't get i.d'd though won't you, its so embarassing when that happens haha [ :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:55 am 

Congratulations Leesa on the new job. I hope alll continues to be positive for you here in Cyprus. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:28 am 
Top of the pops

Glad to hear all is going well for you :D :D

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body