Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:50 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 am 

:greetings

Hello everybody, stumbled across this site and so glad that I did, some fab advice on here.

Sorry if I repeat previously answered topics but am trying to get as much research together to help in my move.

In short, am getting divorced and at a crossroads, so am looking to move to cyprus later in the year, as has always been a place I've loved (was in the WRAF here for a while). Have managed to get alot of info which is needed about moving, but was wondering what the job situation is like? I've previously been in tourism and nursing but would be willing to do pretty much anything (within reason lol!!). Wouldn't need to earn alot etc so am realistic. Also have seen that there are some good markets/car boots and as I like nothing better than a good carboot, was wondering if this is a good option to earn a few euros.

Any thoughts or advice you could offer, would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Debbie B.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:45 pm 
Master

If you were a nurse in the WRAF they maybe an oportunity at RAF Akrotiri although they have scaled down the hospital. Private hospitals and clinics often have openings for english speaking nurses but pay less than the public sector. I can't comment on the tourist industry but must be worth looking into. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:11 pm 
Top of the pops

Whoops knew I should have done something before I moved here...research!!..I just packed me bags, put my car & house on a boat & turned up never having been to Cyprus apart from 4 wks before I landed to "have a look"..... Now 5 1/2 later Im still here..Oh well think I may stay now
Good luck just do it, you can always try it then move on

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:26 pm 

:D
Wow wish I was so brave, still getting used to the idea of being divorced after a long time, so hey ho.

Am defo going to do it, just need a few more things to fall into place then cyprus it is.

hope to meet some of you then and thanks for the advice.

x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:09 pm 
Top of the pops

We sold up and came to live without doing the research and although at the time it turned out to be a bad move due to poor choices,we are now back to retire and are enjoying life here.
The only good bit of advice I can offer is to make sure you arrive with enough money to last at least 6 months should you not find work very quickly or that pays a living wage.
You can find some very cheap rentals (200 euros a month) plus same again for utilities, municipality taxes etc.You will need a car in most village areas and 2nd hand ones are mega expensive here and some pay upwards of 800 euros road tax plus insurance(expensive).Pajeros 4x4s for example.
You need about 100 euros a week for food,petrol,toiletries,drink etc so that gives you a rough idea of living modestly.
I think 250 a week is what you need to be earning and what you need to bring with you is about 26 weeks worth in cash.
Cyprus is not for the faint hearted but it has it's rewards and I for one do not miss the UK at all.
There are lots of clubs and organisations to suit all ages and sexes and people are friendly on the whole.Beware of the con men though as there are plenty here and sorry to say a lot are British.It can be a bit "dog eat dog" when it comes to work so beware of "Greeks bearing gifts" as they usually end up costing you!
Sorry about your divorce,it is like bereavement without the closure isn't it? You will get over it in time and learn to enjoy your "freedom".
Hope to see you when you come over.
Bev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:27 pm 

Hi Bev

Many thanks for all your tips, it's always better to get local knowledge.

I'll have enough money to live on without having to work for say 12 months if needs, but really wanted to try and get something if poss so don't spend all of my savings in one go! Hence was wondering about the car boots etc.

As for car's, really need to find out whether it would be cheaper to buy a new one in the uk and export it or buy a new one in cyprus instead, as I had read that they were expensive there. Didn't realise that the road tax was so dear though. However, cos I'm not retired, the export duty is also high, so not sure if it's catch 22 so to speak.

Anyway, will be coming for a visit beforehand to look around and may trawl round a few garages etc.

Thank you for the sentiments and yep, it's really hard but not my choice, so life goes on. Lots of people in worst situations though, so looking forward not back.

Thanks again and hope to meet you.

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:34 pm 
Top of the pops

As far as cars go, it all depends on the engine size - I have a Kembara (like a Terios) which is a 1300 and I have just paid €61 for the year, road tax. Just to give you an idea, here's the link to the list of road tax charges for Cyprus

http://www.cyprusdriving.net/documents/ ... Cyprus.php

:greetings :greetings

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:49 pm 

Thank you, a really good link. Am abit happier now about the cost of the tax, abit more affordable.

Cheers
Debbie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:52 pm 
Top of the pops

Welcome to the forum.
As to cash, I think the idea of having 12 months money behind you is a good one. I guess you will be renting accomodation here. Don't be yet another victim of Place in the Sun and get a huge villa. Get something just big enough for you and you can always move later if you wish to.
There is significant unimployment here, and if you don't speak Greek you are looking at the tourist industry, ex-pat services, or nursing in a private hospital. Be aware that the tourist industry is in recession and there are many applicants for every job. Also, the pay is low. You will be lucky to get 5 euros an hour as a waitress/barmaid.

Car booting is definately an option. You won't make lots of money but you will make a bit and make friends as well. You will need a car big enough to carry your stock and tables etc.
Boots are at the Carob Mill, Duckpond, Next to the UKCA club, the EKO garage near Peyia, Timi, with more to follow I understand. Auctions and charity shops are potential suppliers of stock.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:01 pm 
Regular

Hi,

Not sure when you were in Cyprus with the WRAF’s, being an ex myself both WRAF and divorced (both ex’s ex services) life is a bit different to when I was in Limassol/Akrotiri to today. We now have a house in Paphos and enjoy the time we have out there but it’s not like it used to be and although socially life is good (if you go out there and join in) but it’s not the protected service life as we knew it. Try it out first not sure where you intend to live but Paphos is different from Limassol as Limassol is different from Nicosia. I wish you well and hope you find a nice place to live and a job to also to enable you to live.

Rita

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:32 pm 

Really good advice and yep that will help.

Have been looking at small apartments or a townhouse (although could be tempted by a luxurious villa!!).

I'm abit of a booter fanatic, so that sounds good, although not the reason coming to lovely cyprus for.

Anyway, thanks for your time, everybody has been really helpful.

Kind regards

debbie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:39 pm 
Forum Admin

Welcome to P.P Debs
Keep an eye out for the p.p nights out , you can meet lots of new friends and get Ideas
from them ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body