Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:11 am

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: medical issues
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:54 am 

Hi can anybody help me on living in cyprus for 6 months and living in england for 6 months i want to know on the medical side off this. I rung the pensions about this and they said its a grey area we can only live in one or the other to get permanent medical care. we are both retired and will be moving to cyprus on october 2nd but coming back to england end of april next year to work the season as this boost our income, then back to cyprus again in october.we have opened a nationwide flexi account like jean told us to do for our pensions to be paid into. but its just this that is worrying us. regards sue

Post subject: Re: medical issues
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:30 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Sue

It is a grey area, not only the medical, but also including the tax and residency!!

Sorry I dont know the answer........ :?

Treat others as you want to be treated

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:54 pm 
Top of the pops

susanknap wrote:
Hi can anybody help me on living in cyprus for 6 months and living in england for 6 months i want to know on the medical side off this. I rung the pensions about this and they said its a grey area we can only live in one or the other to get permanent medical care. we are both retired and will be moving to cyprus on october 2nd but coming back to england end of april next year to work the season as this boost our income, then back to cyprus again in october.we have opened a nationwide flexi account like jean told us to do for our pensions to be paid into. but its just this that is worrying us. regards sue

:greetings Maybe some info if you 'click' on this :-

http://www.swcms.com/pdf/UK%20taxation% ... abroad.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:58 pm 
Top of the pops

As I understand it, you have to decide which country to be resident in. That would usually be the one you spend most time in, even if the difference is only one day. If it is the UK then you need to do nothing as you are there already. If Cyprus you first have to register with immigration (currently a two month wait for appointment) and then you can register at the hospital. This assumes you are over UK state retirement age. If you aren't, then you don't get free medical care other than A&E, and have to use private health care.

As to where you pay tax, it's in the UK if resident there. Go for the Cyprus system if resident over here as you will be better off (unless you don't earn enough to pay UK tax).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:04 pm 
Top of the pops

The 183 Day rules:-

The 183-day rule for UK visits
Whilst out of the UK, you have to ensure you do not breach the 183 day rule by which you
could technically become resident again, merely by visiting too often or staying longer during
your visits. To retain your non-resident status, your visits to the UK should not exceed 183
days in any one tax year or 90 days a year on average over the period of non-residency.
The 183-day rule for your country of residence
Just as in the UK most OECD countries have the equivalent of the 183-day rule. This means
that you will not be considered as resident in that country, unless you are there for more than
183 days. The rule varies from country to country however and this is where one must
exercise caution. In some countries residency starts from the day you arrive whereas in
others, it starts after the 183 days. It is important to check this before you settle in, preferably
even before you accept the overseas posting. It is possible to be resident in more than one
country at the same time but where this is the case, any double taxation agreement existing
between the countries would more than likely cover for this and prevent you from being
treated as resident in more than one of those countries.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:38 pm 

Dear All

The 183 day and 90 day average over 4 years Rules are for TAX purposes.
So if you have taken advantage of the lower rate of Tax in Cyprus and then spend over this time , either 183 day or a rolling average of 90 day is any given 4 year period. The HMRC in the UK can start to investigate you for UK tax on your Income.

Medical Health Care issues

A person must choose where they wish to be permenantly resident.
If they choose Cyprus and are retired then after they get their residency permit they can apply for the Cyprus medical card based on the E121 or S1 as its called now.
Cyprus Medical Treatment and medicines if taken from the general Hospital will be free of charge, although you will pay 2 Euros at the administration desk at each visit to a doctor.

They will also get a EHIC ( European Health International Card) issued from UK which covers them for Nessessary or Emergency Treatment in other countries as well as the UK.
If you then visit a GP in the UK and he deems that the treatment is NOT Neccessary Treatment or Emergency Treatment then he may charge you.

I have just had this clarified by the UK DWP Medical Services.

So if you chose the UK as your residency, you could not obtain the E121 or S1 so you would therefore NOT get your Cyprus Medical Card, unless you can prove your personal income is below 15,377.41 Euros or family income is below 30,754.83 Euros
However your EHIC Card can be used in Cyprus for Neccessary or Emergency treatment.

I hope this helps
PM if you need further help

regards Paphian4761

Website & 2011 Price List
http://www.paphospeople.com/white_georgiou.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:44 pm 
Top of the pops

this an excellent post

thanks for all of the replies

as we also will be looking to stay in Cyprus for upto 6 months from the end of this Oct to end Of April next year

during my looking at the ins and outs of this

apparantly to keep your UK GP you need to stay as someone else has said under the 6 month ruling...or you can loose your GP back here

we sent for our EHIC card a few months ago

and are going to use this......as we also have health issues

migmogs :wink:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body