Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:17 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:08 pm 
Junior

Hi Julia Here

I have just spotted this diary thing and thought i would write something....

Tony and i got married in 2006 and have both been married before and we have been renting a house in Stockton-on-tees
He has always wanted to live abroad as long as i have known him anyway. Earlier this year we thought if we don't emigrate now we never will as we are always talking about it.

So we have put the plan into action. Firstly i sold stuff on ebay. Then for weeks i have been doing car boot sales. This has helped pay for storage of stuff with Britannia. They came round and you can buy used boxes off them for £1.00 each. I packed the boxes and they wrapped the furniture in protective foam stuff, and took away about 29 boxes of belongings i am keeping. The other furniture cooker, washing machine, dishwasher, settee, fire, wardrobes the new tenants bought them off us.
Last of all we took the remainder of the bootsale stuff that didnt sell to several charity shops and i feel liberated and clutter free.
The van we advertised at the last bootsale we did!! and someone bought it. We have been living at my mums for the past two weeks. Tony is just surviving as my mum angry with him for taking me away :) Its quite funny as she slams his cup of tea in front of him!! Our flights are booked for this sunday!!!
Its scary but we have done it now :roll: I feel emotional, up and down, but i will see my family again :shock: I never saw a lot of them anyway! my daughter is at university for the next 3 years in london and my son said he will visit me whos 24 so thats the story so far...........

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:21 am 
Master

All I can say it that I have been here since July and I love love love it... Its a wonderful place. I hope you settle in and feel as good as i do. The kindness i have experienced here is amazing. its like England used to be 30 years ago, where people put themselves out for you. Its not driven and busy and over regulated. And its warm ..

Hope you have a good flight. Book into the next forum event!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:11 am 
Top of the pops

Hi Julia and Anthony

Well, you will be going through all sorts of emotions now, happy, sad, excited, terrrified, but don't worry, it's perfectly natural - we've all been there :greetings Just get on that plane tomorrow, and set off for your new life in the sun. The pace of life here is much slower, although it can be a little frustrating, but just chill and remember the Cypriot mantra . . . . . . siga siga . . . . . . slowly slowly. I'm sure you'll both be very happy here, so enjoy your flight and call me when you get here. :greetings

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:28 am 
Master

good luck Julia & anthony :greetings :greetings :greetings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:18 am 
Web-Site Admin

Good luck with the move, and keep us posted - I know lots of people find reading these diaries really useful when considering their options!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:44 am 
Junior

Hi in uk at moment flight about 2 O'clock, We have packed and have been weighing all our luggage. we have contacted on ebay a courier who does tnt courier service and for £80.00 plus vat will deliver a large box full of our belongings over there in 3 - 5 working days this is for a very large heavy box. So all good at the moment. We are currently searching for accommodation just for one or two nigts till we find long term rental as we will be arriving about 9-30 pm tonight. Last night was very hard saying bye to daughter sob sob sob :) But we are keeping in contact so i keep telling myself to stop getting upset. How do i feel at the moment!!! tearful, upset, nervous, also excited , loads of emotions but also optimistic :shock: :shock: :shock:
speak soon julia :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:51 am 
Top of the pops

:greetings Aaaww - I know how you feel Julia, that we us four years ago and never looked back since....... :lol:

You wil meet lots of lovely people (especially from this Forum) and no doubt will have a lovely life..... :celeb2

You take care and safe journey to the both of you....... :greetings :lol:

Treat others as you want to be treated

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:00 am 
Junior

Hi all we are here!!! we are staying in a lovely apartment called theseas apartments It is a fab location near the harbour and it is has fridge, kettle iron and ironing board loads of utensils nice furniture and for two people 35 euros a night . What a difference to being at the hilltop which was miles away from everything. The weather in uk when i left was very windy and has been raining for days and floods galore. I feel sorry for the people in Carlise i used to go singing at the workington social club there and those poor people what they must be going through! its all being doom and gloom on tv in uk grey and cold and very depressing. It is very sunny here and what a difference
i feel better already. Today we are going looking at long term rentals. Something cheap and cheerful till we get on our feet. I think when you emigrate its a really strange feeling, because no home no vehicle all your things are in storage and feel like ive been through a tornado and now its the calm after the storm. I feel like i need a couple of days to get a good nights sleep as for the last two weeks we have been sleeping in my mums loft, on 2 matresses on the floor with a duvet thrown over it. It wasnt properly converted just carpeted out and lined with cardboard It was noisy and cold with the battering winds and the rain and the seagulls and the bin men waking us up all the time. lol speak soon julia :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:25 am 
Master

As someone posted when I arrived - 'Welcome to the sunny side'

I am sure you will settle quickly. Its a lovely pace of life here and people smile.

My one piece of advice this early on is, after the first couple of weeks, try not to live like you are constantly on holiday. Limit your meals out, it gets boring in the end, stops being special and racks up the pennies.

Other than that, keep posting questions on this forum where you need advice or ideals - people will be only too glad to help or pass an opinion or recommendation. They certainly helped me - from Sky tv issues to parking at the airport, etc etc .. And find the Duck Pond market on the coast road between Paphos and Coral Bay, Sundays and Wednesday - lots of people there to meet and mix with, its a forum focal point.

Have a good time x

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body