Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 am

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re thinking about moving
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:39 pm 

just back from cyprus again.boy i hate this coming back to uk lark. but he ho.
thinking about moving out next year.we have a house in kissonegra etc.we know a fair few folk etc.
but what to do
hubby old enough to retire but i am nowhere near it yet.
what does anyone think.
i am a very big ann summers party organiser here.
would it work in cyprus or would it not????
also if that did not work what about is there anything missing at the duck pond market that people would like and would work.
i am a ver good baker also very good at shopping in primark etc.
give me some helpful tips.
ps neil your coffee still is great on a sunday when you get it and books r us well love books. nikki :huff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:35 pm 
Top of the pops

niknak wrote:

also if that did not work what about is there anything missing at the duck pond market that people would like and would work.

erm!

Whats missing is Neil in a thong serving his "butties"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:57 pm 

neil in a thong serving his butties now that would be worth moving out for ha ha
luv it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:07 am 
Master

Quote:
ps neil your coffee still is great on a sunday when you get it and books r us well love books. nikki

The one thing that is deffinatley missing at the Duckpond is an original idea, not a copy of an existing stall.
Also, Books r us is a not at the Duckpond unlike Richards Book Exchange, which is by the way brilliant!
:greetings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:48 am 

thats what i meant what original idea has not been tried at the duck pond. sorry richard you know i meant your book stall as i was chatting to you on sunday whilst buying books for the way home.
so come on bright ideas anyone after all you live there i dont as yet.
as i said what is missing that people would like or need????? :manic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:02 pm 

I'm 100% sure there was a Anne Summer stall at La Fontine but it stopped. Not sure what happen to her. The prices where so high.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:13 pm 
Idol

Niknak, please forgive my bluntness but you would really be better trying to think of a business idea of your own rather than get everyone else to do it for you. I see this question asked so many times on the forums. I realise you are not resident on the island and maybe one day when you are you will understand how difficult it is here for traders to protect the investment they have made, the hard work it entails and the associated risks. The 'leeches' as Neil calls them sit back and watch you put in the hard work, see if it is successful and then open up next to you the very next week selling exactly the same! Or, they listen to so called friends bouncing ideas around and get in first.

As a trader I very often get asked 'what can I do or sell at the market' and my answer is always to tell them to find something original, do your own research and keep all ideas to yourself. You would not believe the amount of times I am asked where I get my stock from or how much is it to ship it in. Hellloooo, if you walked into ICI or M & S and ask for all their business details what do you think the answer would be?? This applies to any business idea not just at the markets.

I am honestly not trying to be beligerant or hard-nosed, just give down to earth, solid advice based on experience. I hope you find something that goes down well and wish you good luck. :greetings

Regards
Karen

Post subject: Re: reply to ali.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:16 pm 

only been at la fontane twice so possibly walked past it.
the euro rate is so crap at moment it doesnt help but i would be bringing in from uk where it isnt quite as expensive but just trying to suss all out which will take time as by looking at the ann summers website for cyprus it looks totally different from uk one so will see what gets back to me with what info.
thanks for reply.
enjoying this forum now. :?:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:27 pm 

thanks karen for your blunt but honest opinion. i do understand where you are coming from but he ho i just wanted a bit of friendly advice.
i am a business woman through and through .
i have a uk e bay shop
i own a bar ? donut trailer /work part time in a bakers/also sell ann summers.
all i was basically asking was is there anything that people fell they are missing out on for a market. i can think quite capably of a few but just wanted to see what other people thought after all many heads together are great.i have no desire to copy some one else that is boring.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:38 pm 

niknak wrote:
just back from cyprus again.boy i hate this coming back to uk lark. but he ho.
thinking about moving out next year.we have a house in kissonegra etc.we know a fair few folk etc.
but what to do
hubby old enough to retire but i am nowhere near it yet.
what does anyone think.
would it work in cyprus or would it not????
ps neil your coffee still is great on a sunday when you get it and books r us well love books. nikki :huff

I would personally GO FOR IT! I wanna be back over there, theres nothing in the UK.. :congrats

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:03 pm 
Rock Star

Sports wear people - decent - reasonable priced sportswear.

Everyone (ok almost everyone) I know in the gyms wait until they have a trip back to the UK to stock up on sportwear.

I ask loads of people where they get their kit from and the answer is always the same - the UK.

I've splashed out a few times on the ridiculously overprices sportswear here in Paphos, only when I've desperately needed it!

I, like many, don't go back to the UK very often so this isn't an option for me - I know I'm an ebay fan, but sportswear is something I have to try on and make sure legs are long enough, tops are supportive etc.

I used buy new sportswear every pay day, yoga pants, shorts, vest tops, t-shirts and regularly buy new trainers and squash rackets etc. It's just not a viable option here so anyone looking for a business - there's one for you!!!

Get your business advertised in the gyms, word of mouth, you'd soon build up a decent client base who would be regulars!

xxxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:20 pm 

cheers fot that peppermint.sportswear is expensive here too. not a thing i would be buying often anyhow .
but cheers anyhow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:09 pm 
Not being funny but do you really think if there is a gap in the market here someone would of thought of it ? and made loads of money at it, even if you do someone will come along and undercut your prices being British or Cypriot in time. Your best idea is keep making donuts, shopping at Primark , baking and doing your Anne Summers parties in the UK because all this has been done here.

james

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:06 am 

well thanks for that cheery note james you know how to brighten up someones day dont you.lol
but dont panic as i cant see it happening in near future as right now i am way too busy with all my jobs paying for all those lazy gits who dont work he ho.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:19 am 
Top of the pops

niknak you forgot to mention your Farm. Marj :lol: :smilielol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:08 pm 

To much you can and cant sell at mkts here never been to a mkt in uk were you are told you can and can not sell because some one else sell ridiculuse need to wake up and relise this is a open enterprise and should not be left to one person only as this leads to a crap mkt other stall holders paying extra rent because the organisers can not have any more stalls on so less stall more money to pay for pitch less punters because the have no choose when will the organisers relise the bigger the mkt the more punters less pitch money more for everybody every business has a risk attached Go to any mkt in uk lots of same thing lots of punters Too much of a closed shop not good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:32 pm 

niknak

If you are a seriously good shopper at Primarni - then it would be a great idea to ship stuff out to Cyprus...

I've got friends over on holiday in Limassol just now and they are absolutely appalled at the clothes prices as even a simple vest top is €5 or more when they can buy them in Primark (or Primarni as they call it) for £1.

We were in Sports Direct in E&S Landmark on Anorexia Street in Limassol at the weekend and LA Gear, Donnay and Lonsdale stuff was reasonably priced and similar to prices we used to pay in the UK.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body