Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:17 am 
Junior

Can anyone tell me if they have had any success with Hibiscus and Bouganvillea in the higher villages?

We have some in pots and they are looking very sad. We're reluctant to spend money on stuff that will not survive.

I have set my heart on a Hibiscus hedge, so I do hope there is a hardier variety.

We have enquired at a couple of garden centres, who say no problem it will be fine. Well, they would say that wouldn't they?

Any advice or alternative suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Fiona

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:37 am 
Top of the pops

I planted my Hibiscus in June last year and was told by one reseller that the Yellow variety is sensitive but Red is more hardy. We bought yellow as we are down quite low and therefore will be on average warmer than up in the hills.

The leaves from last year are now mostly brittle and have black spots (nearly 60 seperate bushes) and it has been suggested to me that this is down to the cold dry air. My neighbour has the red variety and his are fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:37 pm 
Top of the pops

Have a look what's growing in your neighbours or the local gardens - that will give you a clue as to what will fare best.

Jean 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:38 am 
Top of the pops

Although not in the hills, we have a number of hibiscus bushes and they are still flowering now, they just hate water.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:36 pm 
Rock Star

I agree the best thing is to look at what flourishes in your neighbour's gardens. I have abandoned the idea of a hibiscus hedge after taking advice from others. I do know that the bush (low growing) variety of bougainvillea grows well in Ineia and it looks very pretty. The only problem with both is if you have them planted near a pool, as the flowers drop A LOT.

As we are going to be in the hills too, any advice would be welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:33 pm 
Idol

Hi Fiona,
We have 2 Bouganvilia - climbing red one and low purple bush type - both flourishing - but they suffered a bit in the hard frost we had recently. Have pruned them so hope they will recover OK
Ruth
P.S. Got Haggis and BP at Jim Peck's. Thanks

Qui me amat, amet et canem meum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am 
Top of the pops

Tina,

I have a number of double flowered bougainvillea in the garden and they have been kept low and they do not loose their flowers you have to chop them off as they start to wither. Great near pools and do not make the mess like the other varieties.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:25 am 
Junior

Thank you all, very helpful.

It's interesting about the red hibiscus, as the ones we have are the white ones. May give the red ones a try.

And the bouganvillea Ruth. If it's OK in your garden then maybe we've just been unlucky.

Thanks again
Fiona

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:40 am 
Top of the pops

At the end of the day our yellow variety is a tropical plant (Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis) and therefore any cold spells will be something that it doesn't like. I also read they don't like wet feet so again we have had some rain but the soil has stayed wet for a couple of months now. From June until October they were growing really fast on the irrigation system which i had set so that the soil dried totally to 2" deep and then was saturated for 10mins every few days.

I don't think you should right off your dream of a hibiscus hedge, just accept, like me, that for 6 months of the year it will look pretty battered, ony to (hopefully) look stunning for the rest of the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:54 am 
Top of the pops

I must be really lucky then because our double hibiscus plants are still flowering. In fact there have been more flowers recently than all summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:11 am 
Top of the pops

Candy - Interesting which hibiscus variety do you have ? and how long have they been in the ground ?

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body