Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Irrigation!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:47 pm 
I have a small strip of garden, approx 40ft x 5ft which is irrigated, its set for 3mins every other day :!:

Now I was wondering if I should turn it off during the winter months or keep it on just incase its a dry winter like last years :?:

Any advice welcome :?

Pete :Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:33 pm 
Junior

Pete

If your plants are already "established" then most people turn the irrigation off December to March inc., But if no rain for say three weeks put it on again until it rains.

But if your plants are not established, say within a year of first planting then continue as you are.

John

Planet Cyprus News,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:43 pm 
Top of the pops

So continue to irrigate. Like we is. :D

Verity. 8)

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Image

http://coecyp.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:02 pm 
My plants have only been in for a few months, so I'll keep it as is for now, even if its rains.. thanks for the info John :D

Pete :Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:41 am 
Top of the pops

I planted my garden between March and September this year and come October reduced the watering down from 2x4min sessions twice a week to 1x4min session twice a week. By end of November the whole lot has been off. Most plants go dormant or slow right down (banana, palms, hibiscus, passion fruit) in this time so don't need water, those that are still growing (lemons, conifers to name a few) are getting water from the rain and unless it doesn't rain for weeks then won't need watering !!

If you have stones over the earth that your plants are in, then the sun/wind won't dry it out as quick as bare earth so it remains moist longer and therefore doesn't need watering!

I planted grass seed the Saturday before Christmas which i have watered a number of times whilst it is bursting from seed but once the blades are up i`m expecting the ground to remain wet enough until April/May by which time the grass will go dormant anyway (winter grass - lolleum !?)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body