Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 pm 

Hello
I am looking for someone who has a heat-seeking camera.
I have a problem with a water leak in a house that I can not find any trace of water or damp spots. Total loss of water in 24 H is approx. 60 L
So I have to flush the hot water in the pipes and seek with a heat-seeking camera and perhaps in this way be able to find the leak.

Is there anyone who has such or know someone else who has please contact me by phone 99187096 or my email [email protected]

Best regards

Juhani Blomfjord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:32 pm 

Infra Red App
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPRGcDT4zbo

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:05 am 

Hey. Can it be that easy, I have it on my iPad, I had not thought of it before, I must try.
Thanks so much for the the idea.

Juhani

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:44 pm 
Star

Hi

Just a question ??? if its a new build , then its more then likely a Pipe in Pipe system , and to trace that I would suspect will be very difficult .
Seems very strange it would be a pipe leaking , I would be more inclined to look for other options , such as a Cistern .

If you know the routing of the pipe , maybe a Moisture Sensor would detect damp in the wall / concrete .

But if it is Pipe in Pipe you will not find the leak , as it will simply run don the inside to the lowest point .

If you can expose the base of the pie and find which is leaking , maybe and you have to be sure , you could cut the offending section and pull it out and insert a new piece .

Maybe someone nailed it and its still in there .

Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:59 pm 

Blomman wrote:
Hey. Can it be that easy, I have it on my iPad, I had not thought of it before, I must try.
Thanks so much for the the idea.

Juhani

Let us know how you got on

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:53 pm 

Hi.
The house is 5-6 years old and there is no pipe in pipe installed, there is copper pipes that goes down into the concrete floor.
I have been in contact with the construction manager at Leptos and there are no drawings for the water pipes.
There are no indications of water leak either on the walls or floors.
I've checked all the toilets, sinks, showers, washing machine and dishwasher, I have checked the safety valve on the hot water tank there is nothing leaking.
When it disappears as much as 60L/24H I think it's a very strange leak.
It has been an expert from the insurance company and looked at the problem but he did not find anything, but he gave me the advice to flush hot water and search for water pipes with a heat-seeking camera.
I have a theory that the leak is in the bottom slab and the water finds its way down and underneath it.
If anyone has other ideas, I'm happy to try them.

Thank you.

Juhani

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:30 pm 
Star

Hi Juhani,

how have you managed to be so precise in your calculation, ie 60 litres in 24 hours?

My water meter shows 4 digits which turn around slowly, showing cubic metres of water consumed. A cubic metre of water is 1000 litres. I would be hard pressed to guess how much water I used in 24 hours other than to wait for the integer dial to move round by one unit and then divide by the number of days since the last reading.

In Kato Paphos, the charge per cubic metre (1000 litres) is 0.85 euro per cubic metre, for the first 30 cubic metres of consumption.

So, if you are losing 60 litres per day, over a 3 month water bill period you will have lost 5,475 litres, costing you an extra 4.65 euro per quarterly bill.

I guess that all I am suggesting is that, before you embark on major expense to rectify this leak, consider what it is actually costing you each quarter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:39 pm 
Star

M.A.D wrote:

Comes up with not available in the uk on my iPad ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:19 am 
Star

Hi

Yes this is a problem to resolve , and if as you say the pipes are copper , even with a soldered joint , there could well be a pin hole that in the floor , will be hard to detect , and depending on the build ( difficult one ) the water could be disappearing into the subsoil and you will never find it .

One option which I have come across before , if the setting on the Hot Water Tank when the Immersion is on , or if the tank should get to hot they blow off minimal amount , but I am sure you would see this , unless the pipe discharges somewhere , may be worth checking as they can let by regardless .

There was a product a few year back now , that if you had a very minor leak you could put it in the system and it claimed to stop it < sorry never tried it , but it could ( if available ) be a cheap attempt .

Regards

Les

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:05 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
I am looking for someone who has a heat-seeking camera.

It occurs to me that your man from Leptos may have had a sense of humour, he could have just been winding you up!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:06 pm 

M.A.D wrote:

Hi Dave
I have been looking for the Infra red app but have not found that one.
I had a photobooth app downloaded which had a type of infrared camera function but it measures only on surfaces, not in depth, for example, in the walls or floors.
But thanks so much for the tip.

Juhani

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:18 pm 

keving wrote:
Hi Juhani,

how have you managed to be so precise in your calculation, ie 60 litres in 24 hours?

My water meter shows 4 digits which turn around slowly, showing cubic metres of water consumed. A cubic metre of water is 1000 litres. I would be hard pressed to guess how much water I used in 24 hours other than to wait for the integer dial to move round by one unit and then divide by the number of days since the last reading.

In Kato Paphos, the charge per cubic metre (1000 litres) is 0.85 euro per cubic metre, for the first 30 cubic metres of consumption.

So, if you are losing 60 litres per day, over a 3 month water bill period you will have lost 5,475 litres, costing you an extra 4.65 euro per quarterly bill.

I guess that all I am suggesting is that, before you embark on major expense to rectify this leak, consider what it is actually costing you each quarter.

Hi Keving
On this water is 8 digits and the last digit shows liters and there is a red pointer spinning around that shows dl, so therefore I know quite precisely how much water is lost.
It's not huge sums it gets but there is fear that the water might destroy the house.

Juhani

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:35 pm 

oakland wrote:
Hi

Yes this is a problem to resolve , and if as you say the pipes are copper , even with a soldered joint , there could well be a pin hole that in the floor , will be hard to detect , and depending on the build ( difficult one ) the water could be disappearing into the subsoil and you will never find it .

One option which I have come across before , if the setting on the Hot Water Tank when the Immersion is on , or if the tank should get to hot they blow off minimal amount , but I am sure you would see this , unless the pipe discharges somewhere , may be worth checking as they can let by regardless .

There was a product a few year back now , that if you had a very minor leak you could put it in the system and it claimed to stop it < sorry never tried it , but it could ( if available ) be a cheap attempt .

Regards

Les

Yes it is a difficult problem and more problems will be when there is underfloor heating in the house, so I assume that the pipes are under the heat pipes. I suppose we may draw on new visible pipes throughout the house, to get away from the problem completely.

I have come up with that it is the cold water pipe that is leaking, because it is only when I flush cold water that air comes out of the tap.

I remember that I fixed cooler on my Volvo 244 -74 with ground ginger, but I hardly think it works in this case. :grin:

Juhani

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body