Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:20 am 
Rock Star

Our water pressure pump system failed in the 'on' position - the pump running continuously.
It seemed likely that this was an issue associated with the pressure controller, so I considered buying & fitting a replacement unit myself to avoid the additional labour cost from a contractor.
However, before I did buy anything I asked a contractor to assess the situation & quote me for the necessary corrective works.
He considered that the solar panel expansion tank diaphragm had also failed & a new tank was also required.
Given that the 'foibles' of this system were new to me (I didn't know what I didn't know), I decided that it would be more cost effective to have the work done by the contractor & I would watch, ask about the process & learn for the future.
The work was duly completed & we have an operating system again, however, I have noticed that the pump now 'kicks-in' again for short periods following water draw-off from the taps or flushing of the toilets.
I have searched for leaks & found that one toilet was losing water into the bowl,which I have now corrected.
The situation however, remains unchanged.
Can anyone advise what I need to do to rectify this situation, or should I just refer it back to the contractor?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:36 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
I have noticed that the pump now 'kicks-in' again for short periods following water draw-off from the taps or flushing of the toilets.

I have just checked to see if anyone has responded & realised why not!
This sentence (refer quote) suggests the pump & its pressure control are working correctly.
However, what I meant to impart was that following the 'normal' top-up run of the pump after water draw-off & the pump stopping, subsequently after a small delay the pump kicks-in again usually a further two or three times for short periods.
This I know is not 'normal', but am looking to understand why this should be happening when there are no visible leaks to the system?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:22 am 
Rock Star

Topgun wrote:
following the 'normal' top-up run of the pump after water draw-off & the pump stopping, subsequently after a small delay the pump kicks-in again usually a further two or three times for short periods.
This I know is not 'normal', but am looking to understand why this should be happening when there are no visible leaks to the system?

Ours does this too - I decided that by worrying about it, it made it worse so didn't bother.
Been like it ever since we moved in about 7 years ago!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:06 pm 
Star

Hi

It can be one of a couple of issues .

1 : There is a small leak somewhere which is causing the pump to stop and start to pressurize the system .

2 : The pump pressure switch ( if it has one ) is defective

3 : If it has a pressure vessel there could be a fine pin hole in the diaphragm .

4 : Pressure setting are too close together and need to have a wider Start ? stop range .

Les

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:32 pm 
Top of the pops

I had the same problem with my water pressure pump, would come on for a few secs and go off again with no apparent water been drawn off!!!
I closed the feed tap for a few seconds at the bottom of the plastic hold reservoir tank, Ran the pump with the adjacent power switch for a few seconds, heard a small clunk, switched the tap on again with pump running and it cleared the problem, sounded as though somehow air had got into system, been OK now for over two weeks, pump just runs when responding to a tap in the system being opened !!!
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:05 am 
Rock Star

Hi Oakland,
I have a new pressure controller & expansion tank fitted, so am assuming that these are working correctly.
However, though I cannot see any leaks in the system, it could be a possibility. I have a spray-on solution to test for leaks, so I'll test more scientifically rather than trusting to purely visual inspection.
Also I am interested by your item #4 about the settings on the pressure controller being "too close", how do I go about checking this situation & amending them if needs be?
Hi Malsue,
Thanks for your advice I'll try this & see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:15 am 
Rock Star

Hi JB,
Given the price of electricity in Cyprus & the cost of replacement water pressurisation pumps & associated equipment, I thought it prudent to try & get the system to work as it should. Hopefully this will minimise my electricity bill as the pump will only kick-in once for each time water is drawn off & this would also mean that the pump should last longer as a result because of the minimised workload.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:50 pm 
Star

Hi

Not on all pump , but you should see a small box about 10 cm x 5 cm , maybe with a central screw , if you undo that there should be two screws with a Plus and Minus on them , sometimes they are coloured , the plus increases the cut in pressure and the minus drops the cut off pressure . Turn one ( the + ) a quarter turn clockwise and the other anti clockwise .
The turn a tap on an off to ensure it cutting in an out , then try . If its no better then you have a leak .
But would suggest you return them to the settings prior .

Les

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body