Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:59 pm 
Forum Admin

I was sent this by email today

Dear Editor and Assistant Editor,

Early this morning, Monday 6 July, I picked my two boys up from Cardiff Airport. You may imagine both my shock and horror to find that they had been attacked and beaten up by a gang of Cypriot youths, 10 of them to be exact, in Coral Bay on Saturday morning.

Whilst this unprovoked attack was bad enough, leaving my youngest boy with a broken nose, two black eyes and massive bruises - it was even worse to discover that not a single person would help them, despite pleas from my oldest son, who asked in several restaurants for assistance. There was not a single Cypriot who would help them in the surrounding area....or even give them the number of the police, the boys were badly beaten and alone. THIS IS DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!

We have visited Cyprus many times and previously had no concerns for our safety there, however this attack, the lack of care and assistance from the locals in Coral Bay and the pathetic response from the Cypriot Police - who, after very many calls from the staff in Panaretti's Royal Coral Bay - [who were incredible and acted as I had assumed all Cypriots would have], finally turned up at the hotel, without the slightest bit of interest in the attack, scribbled a few notes and drove off. The boys were given no incident number, which in itself is unbelievable, and against the law in most European Countries!!!!

No wonder the number of tourists to Cyprus is falling, it is becoming too dangerous to go out at night!!!! I would have expected something like this to have happened in a large inner city, in which case neither of the boys would have considered going out, and not in a small town in Cyprus, where the crime rate is supposed to be the lowest in Europe - although that fact is probably due to the fact the Police don't turn up or take any interest in the crime!!!

Yours faithfully
Chendore Luan Doxsey

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Quote:
I would have expected something like this to have happened in a large inner city, in which case neither of the boys would have considered going out, and not in a small town in Cyprus

WOW what a sweeping statement.

Its truelly a shame that your sons were not offered assistance, hwever we have not been party to the incident, maybe they deserved it?

We came from a very small fishing village in Scotland about the size and population of Neo Chorio (tiny), we had junkies, gang fights, drunk fights, stabbings, and murdurs. Why should Cyprus be any differnet. We have the conundruym of living in a peaceful pre war Cyprus or a modern facility with running water, you take your choices..

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:28 am 
Star

Neil, as you say this is a very disturbing email and made very unpleasant reading.

I hope by now the boys have recovered from what happened.

On another note last year 4 friends of ours were sat in one of the smaller bars on the strip one of the ladies was pregnant, all were enjoying a quiet early evening and minding their own business. When one of the men got up to go the loo he was surrounded by a group of local Cypriot youths, this chap did nothing, never got into conversation didn't want to exacerbate matters despite their threats.

When he got back to the table and told the others they decided to leave, the pregnant lady was very worried, when they got up to go and crossed over the road the youths surrounded them and were even more threatening.

If it hand't been for one of the other bar owners who saw the incident and he brought reinforcements goodness knows where it would have ended! The 4 were very upset.

The bar owner told our friends the youths were known to the police and would have been known to the bar owner where they had been sat, and live up in one of the villages and come down to the strip to sell their 'substances'.

A few days later they returned to the original bar and they have used this place for over 2 years (they own property here) and spoke with the owner and asked him if he did know the youths and what they were doing to which he said he did. Needless to say they don't use it now.

They had very good reason to thank the locals, unlike the two youths we read about.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:09 am 
Rock Star

tanny wrote:
hwever we have not been party to the incident, maybe they deserved it?

Sorry Tanny but NOBODY "deserves" to get beaten. EVER.

If you believe they do you have no right to call yourself civilised.

True we cannot know all the fact as we are only hearing one side of the account BUT that makes it no less disturbing.

Perhaps a little more understanding and sympathy could be appropriate in this instance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:02 am 
Web-Site Admin

tanny wrote:
We came from a very small fishing village in Scotland about the size and population of Neo Chorio (tiny), we had junkies, gang fights, drunk fights, stabbings, and murdurs.

I hear it's got a lot better in the last year or so....

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:18 pm 
Regular

Hi there,

This is a very disturbing and upsetting story.

However, why are you advertising to book a holiday in Cyprus
underneath such appalling behaviour???????????

PLAZAN SKIN CARE
BOOK YOUR CYPRUS HOLIDAY DIRECT AND SAVE POUNDS
We lead, others just copy us.

Does not make any sense ????????????

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:21 am 
Graduate

Captain Fantastic wrote:
tanny wrote:
We came from a very small fishing village in Scotland about the size and population of Neo Chorio (tiny), we had junkies, gang fights, drunk fights, stabbings, and murdurs.

I hear it's got a lot better in the last year or so....

:wink:

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:36 am 
Top of the pops

Sevener I will replace the word deserved, with contributory.

Without a balanced or witnessed view, one side will tend to be skewed.

On the bright side (if there is one) they were not stabbed or similar.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:55 pm 

tanny wrote:

As a new member please pardon me for 'butting in' but 10 against 2???? No way could that be a fair fight no matter what the boys had 'contributed' tanny - and it's very worrying that some locals would not help the 2 boys when they most needed it. I hope the 'gang' culture is not becoming a way of life for young people in Cyprus as it has in many other countries.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:11 pm 
Top of the pops

Old Woman wrote:
tanny wrote:

As a new member please pardon me for 'butting in' but 10 against 2???? No way could that be a fair fight no matter what the boys had 'contributed' tanny - and it's very worrying that some locals would not help the 2 boys when they most needed it. I hope the 'gang' culture is not becoming a way of life for young people in Cyprus as it has in many other countries.

Hello Old Woman and welcome!.
Not butting in at all, feel free to expound on anything you'd like!. Know what you mean, 10 versus 2 is hardly fair, but also, that sort of mentality is really not wanted here, but alas this is the real world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:29 pm 
Top of the pops

Hello Old woman and equally warm welcome. Yes I'd rather there wasnt a gang culture, however it is pervading every society on the globe and is worrying. Yes 10 - 2 may be unfair, Yes it maybe wasnt right that they were offerd no help.

However 2 things come to mind here, firstly on the not helping thing. Remember Stephen Lawrence (the teacher who helped) and many more like him who have helped, most places in the world will now no longer offer help and indeed turn away.

Secondly, we are basing our assumptions her on a single ladies letter to an editor and she clearly has a massive bias, so we can hardly have a balanced view of events that night (if anything did happen). How much did they provoke (if at all), did they shout scream punch out, throw objects etc etc etc, we wont know and one view is often skewed.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:35 pm 
Rock Star

This is definitely not the norm for Coral Bay, we've been out and about a few times there as we live in Peyia, I've never seen or heard anything like this happening before.

It is very strange that absolutely no one stepped in or said anything, I know a few of the local bar and restaurant owners who would be more than happy to tell some kids to pack it in or try to disperse a mob beating, it's certainly not good for business!!

I hope the boys are ok and recover quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:36 am 

One does have to be alert and careful, including kids when out and about. You don't always have to look for trouble, it sometime has a way to find you.

Maybe they deserved a back lash and maybe they didn't, gang beatings are not right and the police really should show a bit more respect to the folks that bring "prosperity" to Cyprus. Let's hope they did learn something out of this.

This recent article does bring to the forefront of some of the serious issue we have with the young.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... itain.html

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:15 pm 
Top of the pops

I go to Coral Bay at least 3 times a week and sometimes I go alone, I feel really safe there. Its a shame to read something like this happening in such a friendly place

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:42 pm 
Top of the pops

Quote:
police really should show a bit more respect to the folks that bring "prosperity" to Cyprus.

Thats wrong, their should be exactly the same cosidration to everyone whether Pondi (ouch), Pole, Pakistani or Englishman. The wealth for outwith Cyprus is certainly not coming from the UK....

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:52 pm 

tanny wrote:
Quote:
police really should show a bit more respect to the folks that bring "prosperity" to Cyprus.

Thats wrong, their should be exactly the same cosidration to everyone whether Pondi (ouch), Pole, Pakistani or Englishman. The wealth for outwith Cyprus is certainly not coming from the UK....

O.K., not to be picky here, but many foreign ports of call have "Tourist Police" just for that reason. I never meant that some people should have differential treatment, nor did I say that.

I probably should have written, the local police should have taken more interest in the situation as it may leave a poor impression for those going back home, where ever that may be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:10 am 
Top of the pops

Gary, whether it be tourist police or just the normal police with different liaison skills, any such situation needs nipped in the bud.

However also having said that, weve walked the TOKR, Bar street, and some other areas where tourists are drinking (often British and between 15-25), the provokation of shouting, rudeness and general rowdiness could drive anyone maddd. Certainly to the brink of doing something silly.

Live your dreams.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body