It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:12 pm 
Forum Admin

Ayia Napa like a ghost town
By Nathan Morley

Is this the begining of the end :shock:

Deafening silence as tourism slumps to record levels

ALARM BELLS are ringing in Ayia Napa as the once-popular resort is reeling from a record low year, with most bars, restaurants and theme parks reporting virtually no custom.

Many businessmen and tourism workers throughout the resort are said to be terrified that if things don’t pick up soon mass redundancies in the sector could be on the cards.

Last night, Nissi Avenue, the town’s main thoroughfare, was now virtually a ghost road, with the deafening silence broken by empty taxis and the odd curious tourist.

Countless restaurants, bars and shops have not even bothered to open for the season, which is being described by many as ‘the worst in living memory’.

In addition to dire tourist figures, many of those that have arrived for a holiday are becoming increasing vocal about what some describe as a ‘1970’s tourist product’.

Mounting numbers of complaints about inflated prices and shabby service are commonplace, with some customers point blank refusing to pay what they describe as ‘pure extortion’.

Mark Field, 34, from Manchester claimed he was charged €4.50 for a pint of beer in Ayia Napa and vowed never to return.

“Do these people think we are made of money, what they think we are, all dimwit millionaires coming here?, “he said.

“They charge us more money because they have fewer customers, its madness. Do they think we will come back,” he added.

More worringly for tourism chiefs, reports about the flagging tourist product are immediately being posted on holiday website message boards by disgruntled holiday makers, with some notices warning prospective visitors to ‘Avoid Cyprus at all costs’.

The town’s mayor Antonis Tsokkos brushed off claims that Ayia Napa had hit rock bottom, but did acknowledge things were bad.

“It has been worse, during the first Gulf War, but I admit we are affected by the current worldwide problem.”

Tsokkos also warned tourists not to fall into what he described as a ‘trap’ and check menus and prices before ordering drinks.

“I know some people are overcharging, it is out of my control. These are not the recommended prices, these are criminal, and I urge people not to get overcharged, check the prices before ordering,”

The municipality has also been blasted by local business owners for digging up the main streets of Ayia Napa in an ambitious roadwork’s programme, which coincides with the start of the tourist season.

Ollie Greggila from Finland has been a twice-yearly visitor since 1993.

“It is a disgrace, and not clever, who would order road works in the centre of the town, when tourists are here, this is stupid and an insult to people who have paid to visit this building site,” he told the Cyprus Mail.

Tsokkos said the road and path upgrades were designed to make a difference to Ayia Napa and would pay off in the long term.

“I don’t care about the long term, I just paid to come here now, why do they trick us into these things,” Greggila said.

Revenues the tourism sector plunged 12.8 per cent in the first quarter from a year earlier, signalling a tough year ahead amid the global recession.

Income from tourism, which forms 12 per cent of GDP has plunged to an estimated €124.8 million in the three months to March from €143.2 million a year ago.

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2009

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body