Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:38 pm 

European Union country members, including Cyprus, will receive the new coronavirus vaccines by September, European Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakidou said Monday.

This will happen when and if they are approved by the European Medicines Agency, the commissioner told radio Trito.

The expected jabs against Covid-19 will be adapted to the new variants, she said, adding that they will be distributed in European countries around mid-September.

Kyriakidou also stressed that people over 60 and immunosuppressed should receive the fourth dose (second booster) to prevent serious illness.

Eligible groups for the fourth optional dose of the covid jab in Cyprus include people over 60 years old; those who live or work in care homes and closed facilities; immunocompromised or immunosuppressed patients, people with diabetes mellitus; and people with severe obesity; provided that a period of five months has elapsed since receiving the third dose.

The fourth dose is administered through walk-in vaccination centres in all districts.

Coronavirus cases and hospitalisations recorded a decline according to data provided by the health ministry.

Asked about the epidemiological picture over the weekend in relation to Covid-19 on Monday, health minister Michalis Hadjipantela confirmed the decline. He said that there are currently 98 hospitalisations of patients with Covid-19, to note that on Saturday the cases were 989 among 9,838 tests and on Sunday 537 among 8,389 tests.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body