Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:37 am 

The health ministry announced on Friday that 7,263 Covid infections were detected during the past week, while another two deaths have been attributed to the disease.

The two deaths attributed to Covid concern an 89-year-old woman who died on June 19 and a 37-year-old man who died in September 2021, therefore raising the total number of Covid deaths to 1,072.

The ministry further stated that 47 Covid patients are receiving treatment at state hospitals, although it did not clarify whether they were initially receiving treatment for other ailments and subsequently tested positive during routine checks. One of the 47 is intubated while three are in high dependency wards.

This week’s detected positives were identified following a total of 74,362 tests, resulting in a positivity rate of 9.77 per cent. This week’s 7,263 positives raise the total number identified so far in the Republic to 504,717.

PCR tests accounted for 4,111 such checks and uncovered 572 positives, while rapid tests accounted for the bulk of the tests with 70,251 having been carried out – identifying 6,691 infections.

Government advisor Petros Karayiannis, speaking to the state broadcaster just prior to the ministry’s announcement, deemed Cyprus to be on the cusp of a sixth pandemic wave.

He added that the B2A5 sub-variant is likely to have prevailed and taken hold, as he warned that initial research shows it to impact the lower respiratory tract to a higher degree.

Karayiannis expressed the hope that the antibodies generated through the vaccines will help prevent a rise in serious hospitalisations

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:42 am 
Top of the pops

I and my husband are still wearing our masks when in a supermarket ...and cleaning our hands going in and out and cleaning the trolley handles...as advised for vulnerable people
it has been interesting to see .... that we are virtually the only ones

Even with strong antibodies ...I just do not want to take the risk

Let’s hope that herd immunity will happen soon

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body