Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:17 am 

Cabinet on Tuesday approved the administration of a Covid booster jab to children aged 12 and over and the rollout of a fourth vaccine dose to those aged 70 and over and the immunocompromised.

Following the administration of an mRNA booster jab to severely immunosuppressed children aged 12 and over at the end of February, the council of ministers approved its administration to all teenagers as long as six months have elapsed since the latest dose.

The fourth dose was recommended for the over-70s, the immunosuppressed or those belonging to vulnerable groups, provided five months has elapsed since they received the booster dose against the virus.

The immunosuppressed refers to those on active treatment for solid tumours and haematological malignancies, people with a history of solid organ transplantation receiving immunosuppressive therapy or with a history of primary hematopoietic organ transplantation receiving immunosuppressive therapy as well as people with renal failure undergoing dialysis or peritoneal dialysis.

People with hereditary immunodeficiency, with HIV infection/AIDS or those on immunosuppressive therapy including biological agents are also eligible for the fourth dose. Also some people taking cortisone are eligible.

The fourth dose was also approved for health professionals, residents and employees of nursing homes and other 24/7 facilities also receive the fourth dose, regardless of age.

The health ministry noted those additional jabs are optional, meaning the validity of the European Digital Certificate (SafePass) will not be affected in case children choose to not receive the third or adults the fourth dose.

The exact date of the rollout will be announced at a later stage.

The decision comes following relevant recommendations by the vaccination advisory body last week and amidst a recent spike in the number of cases.

A total of 5,286 new infections were detected on Monday.

Scientific advisor Petros Karayiannis called the high number of cases “unexpected” and said one of the main reasons behind the spike can be explained by a shift in people’s mentality regarding the virus.

“Many no longer wear masks indoors or in busy places, I receive complaints every day about it. We are no longer careful,” he told Alpha TV on Tuesday.

“Unfortunately, I believe the number of cases will further rise in the upcoming days, I expect we will reach 6,000 daily infections very soon.”

Karayiannis, Professor of Microbiology/Molecular Virology at the University of Nicosia Medical School, added that by next week the Omicron 2 variant will make up 90 per cent of the total cases.

“Data recorded in Greece shows that the Omicron 2 variant affects unvaccinated people as young as 40-years-old, many of whom end up hospitalised. Pregnant women are also at risk.”

The possibility of further relaxations of coronavirus measures will be reviewed in two weeks, health ministry spokesman Constantinos Athanasiou said on Monday.

“We are in talks with the health ministry regarding the next steps to take, especially as far as rapid tests are concerned, specifically who should do them and how often. We need to be prepared,” Karayiannis concluded.

Another government coronavirus advisor, Zoe Dorothea Pana, said the recent bout of severe weather and the fatigue accumulated after two years of the pandemic also contributed to the rise in cases.

Speaking to the Cyprus News Agency on Tuesday, Pana said the spike is currently affecting the entire European continent.

“The new and more transmissible Omicron 2 variant has resulted in more chains of transmission within the community,” she said.

“Coupled with the bad weather and with the fact that everyone is less inclined to observe measures after two years of living with the virus, it was inevitable we would see a spike in Covid-19 cases.”

With the vast majority of people in Cyprus already vaccinated, Pana said the important thing is to observe how serious cases are and whether they lead to increased hospitalisations.

“We have to monitor the situation and find a balance between the number of cases and the number of people hospitalised with the virus.”

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/03/22/coronavirus-cabinet-discusses-fourth-dose-amid-surge-in-cases/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:21 pm 
Top of the pops

Heard of quite a few people now with Covid

A lot are saying how ill they unexpectedly are

They thought Omicron would be a lot milder than it is
It is knocking them off their feet

One terminology used was ...it was like your worst cold on steroids!

Covid is still here

Stay safe all

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:55 pm 

Further relaxations in next 10 days if hospitalisations remain stable

There will be more relaxations to Covid-19 measures in the next 10 days, provided hospital admissions remain stable, Health Minister Michalis Hadjipantelas said on Friday.

Speaking to reporters in Paphos after the March 25 student parade, the minister noted the surge in the number of infections but said that authorities were currently focused on the number of hospital admissions, the Cyprus News Agency quoted him as saying.

If hospitalisations remain stable – on Thursday, there were 151 Covid-19 patients in state hospitals of whom seven were intubated – more relaxations will be introduced. He did not elaborate.

There was speculation earlier this week that cabinet would follow other countries in easing Covid-19 restrictions. But authorities opted for a wait-and-see approach amid a persistently high number of new infections of between 4,000 and 5,000 a day and a positivity rate close to 5 per cent.

Health ministry spokesman Constantinos Athanasiou said after Monday’s meeting of the scientific advisory team that the possibility of further relaxations will be reviewed in two weeks.

On Thursday, Cyprus recorded 5,186 new infections, but no deaths. Experts have attributed the latest spike to the more infectious Omicron 2 strain, the cold weather which restricts people inside and a general fatigue among the population, two years after restrictions were first imposed.

Health authorities are keeping a close tab on hospital admissions, and especially the number of serious cases and intubations. They note that even though the hospitalisation rate may be lower with the Omicron 2, the big surge could spell pressure on the health system down the road.

Against this background, Hadjipantelas was asked whether the SafePass, which is no longer needed in a number of outlets including bakeries and supermarkets, will be scrapped for other venues.

The minister responded that he would wait to hear the views of the scientific advisors before announcing any relaxations.

As to the fourth dose of the coronavirus vaccine, Hadjipantelas said it has been approved by cabinet for some population groups and that an announcement will be issued by Monday regarding the practicalities, so that the programme can get underway in the next few days.

Initially, it will be made available to people aged over 70 provided five months has passed since the third dose, as well as to people with medical conditions, he added.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body