Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:16 pm 

Health authorities have gone on high alert following the emergence of a new Coronavirus variant of concern, dubbed Omicron, that was first reported to the World Health Organisation (WHO) from South Africa three days ago.

It has also been identified in Botswana, Belgium, Hong Kong and Israel.

Early evidence suggested Omicron has an increased reinfection risk, compared with other variants of concern, the WHO said.

The variant has a large number of mutations, which are thought to increase its ability to spread and bypass some, but not all, vaccine protection.

However, there was still no clear real-world data.

Cyprus has already banned entry to travellers from eight African countries, as health authorities have been holding meetings and consultations.

Health Minister Michalis Hadjipantelas is expected to meet the leadership of the state health services organisation on Sunday to discuss preparedness and on Monday he is scheduled to meet the advisory committee.

Following the example of other countries, on Friday Cyprus banned entry to any person who during the last 14 days before arrival has either resided or passed through the territory of South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi and Botswana.

The travel restrictions do not ban Cyprus or EU citizens or permanent residents, but they will face mandatory quarantine at their own expense.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:32 am 
Top of the pops

Stay safe everyone
Sadly this awful virus still has a way to run

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:58 pm 
Master

Happy with the precautions we have been taking for several months now - too many people have become too relaxed about the situation, which is not going away any time soon.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body