Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:18 am 

People at risk of serious illness if infected with the coronavirus should not be vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine because of its lower efficacy, according to a pharmacology expert.

Assistant professor of pharmacology at the University of Cyprus Nicolas Dietis said the AstraZeneca vaccine was very safe, but it showed a lower efficacy compared with the Pfizer Biontech and Moderna vaccines.
Germany and Sweden have already said it will not give the AstraZeneca vaccine to those over 65, while Poland has said they will only give to those in 18-60 age group.

Dietis said the health ministry should plan ahead and avoid vaccinating people with AstraZeneca who could fall very ill if they are infected by the coronavirus.

“It would be good if the particular vaccine had a higher efficacy, but it is over 50 per cent, which is the threshold set by the European Medicines Agency and it has secured approval,” he said.

Dietis said the ministry should at least name the vulnerable groups as recipients of the more effective vaccines for starters.

Just because there is a shortage of vaccines at the moment “we should not vaccinate an 80-year-old with the AstraZeneca just because we do not have any Pfizer doses,” he said.

The AstraZeneca, or Oxford vaccine, covers six in 10 people, he added.

“We must not raise the risk for the elderly ourselves.”

To prevent cases of serious illness even with the vaccine, “I think such planning is necessary.”

Dietis also suggested that Cyprus would not follow Hungary’s example and order the Russian vaccine, Sputnik V unless it is desperate.

To use the Russian vaccine, it must be approved by EMA first and the European Commission, he said.

For that to happen, the manufacturer must apply for approval.

“This application has not been filed yet.”

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/02/03/coronavirus-high-risk-groups-should-not-be-given-astrazeneca-expert-says/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:51 pm 
Top of the pops

Poor excuse for the EU incompetence !
They just want to cull the pensioners ...
and give the meagre amount, which they have managed to get, to inject the 'money men and public sector staff'... so they can go to work and keep the taxes and fines cash rolling in.
Disgraceful !!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:46 am 
Top of the pops

Definitely EU incompetence SFD

I Know quite a few now in the uk ...who have had the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine
and all have been fine

Read in the Cyprus News that Oxford-AstraZeneca is about to arrive here in Cyprus....E U are sending us 7500 doses next week :shock:

Might be a bit of a wait then for my doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca :roll:

The Russian Sputnik Vaccine has been peer reviewed and now written about in the Lancet as an excellent vaccine with very high efficacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:23 pm 

All they are saying is it's not as effective on the over 65's That doesn't mean they will be culled, just they they should be given an alternative / different one

From the Cyprus Mail

Citing the opinion of the scientific advisory committee on coronavirus, which was based on the opinion of the European Medicines Agency (EMA), the ministry said the AstraZeneca vaccine would be administered in Cyprus without any age restrictions.

The vaccine’s lower efficacy compared to those from other companies, prompted some countries to announce they would not administer it to people over 65. France, Germany and Sweden said that they would not give the AstraZeneca vaccine to those over 65, while Poland has said they will only give to those in 18-60 age group. Greece said it would administer it to people between 18 and 64.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/02/05/coro ... on-monday/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:02 am 
Top of the pops

I have been following the science behind the vaccines for quite some time now

It would appear that with the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine
You need a larger amount of time between each jab for better efficacy
Upto 12 weeks same as in the uk roll out
I will be requesting a longer time between the. Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccinations myself following the science
Efficacy then goes up similar to the efficacy of the newer Pfizer/Moderna vaccines
So personally I will be asking for a longer period of time between each of my Oxford-AstraZeneca jabs...not 3 weeks ...but longer ...possibly 10 weeks?

I cannot have the Pfizer type vaccines because of health reasons ....my husband can and will do if he is offered Pfizer etc

Of course if the science changes between time ...I will follow upto date scientific advice

Stay safe all

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body