Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:06 am 

A plan has already been drawn up for the coronavirus vaccination process, the health ministry said on Thursday after EU commissioner for health Stella Kyriakides announced that some of the vaccines are expected to be approved by the European Medicines Agency before Christmas or early in 2021.

The health ministry said in a written statement that a plan has already been drawn up for the coronavirus vaccination process in the cooperation with the scientific advisory committee on coronavirus.

“The population groups that will be called to be vaccinated first have been determined on the basis of an algorithm,” the ministry said.

And it added that announcements in recent days by pharmaceutical companies carrying out clinical trials on a coronavirus vaccine were encouraging, since results are positive.

The ministry recalled that Cyprus is participating as an EU member state in all four agreements signed through the European Commission.

It has already submitted its respective quantities: 600,000 doses from AstraZeneca, 200,000 from Johnson & Johnson and 200,000 from Pfizer / BioNTech. Sanofi Pasteur & GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals have not yet asked the countries to place orders, it said.

“Due to the different technologies used by each company for the development of the vaccine, it was decided to participate in all agreements with the maximum number allowed so that Cyprus can have the safe and effective vaccine that will be licensed at its disposal at the same time as the other member states,” it said.

Vaccinations will take place at the vaccination centres and the procedures that will be followed will be determined once there is an indication as to when the vaccine will be available, the ministry said.

Kyriakides told state broadcaster CyBC on Thursday morning that some vaccines could be approved by the European Medicines Agency before Christmas or at the beginning of 2021.

She noted that by the end of November, member states must be ready in terms of infrastructure to receive, store and distribute the vaccines. A health ministry source said that as regards storage, this will depend on which vaccine will be licenced.

Kyriakides gave assurances that under the agreements no member state would have priority in the distribution of the vaccines and that this would be done quickly and simultaneously in all member states.

Responding to a question, she said that based on initial information, the vaccines will be provided free of charge.

She estimated that there would be six possible vaccines in the European Union portfolio but did not know which ones would eventually be approved.

Vaccination is the only way for countries to escape the pandemic’s grip, she stressed and called on everyone to follow the measures.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/11/19/coronavirus-ministry-says-vaccination-plan-ready/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:34 pm 
Master

Good to know - but no idea how keen people will be to participate, particularly in the .early stages

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:21 pm 
Top of the pops

Maybe those who have been most vocal in supporting the lockdown and measures should be first to be forced to take it.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:43 pm 

For those who are young; fit and healthy…it’s your choice whether or not to take the vaccine.
Personally, my wife and I who are not young; not fit and have underlying health conditions WILL take the chance that any long term side effects will be better than being intubated with a large plastic tube down our throats and a VERY SMALL chance of survival if we contract Covid 19 due to those not following the regulations and possibly infecting us.

Even in the hospital today I saw many nurses NOT wearing a mask properly

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body