Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:28 pm 

Jet2 budget airline announced on Wednesday it was suspending all flights to Cyprus and Greece until next year.

In a written statement, the airline said that due to the latest travel advice, it has taken a decision to suspend flights and holidays to Greece and Cyprus.

“We are planning to restart our flights and holiday programmes to Greece from 30th March 2021 and Cyprus from 13th February 2021,” the statement said.

The company said that it would be operating a programme of flights up to November 8, including for its customers who are currently in resorts.

The announcement comes after the UK put Cyprus on its list of countries from which passengers will have to quarantine for 14 days upon their return effective from last Sunday.

The UK is also due to go into a month-long lockdown from Thursday under which most international travel will be banned until December 2.

TUI tour operator has also announced that following the recent UK government announcement, that flights departing from airports in England and Wales, between November 5 and December 2, “are unable to go ahead”.

The suspensions could affect Cypriot students in the UK wanting to return to the island to avoid the lockdown.

The head of the Association of Parents and Guardians of Cypriot Students Nicos Petrou told the Cyprus Mail a number of students are expected to return to the island within the week.

“So far, we have not received any complaints from students that airlines have cancelled their bookings,” he told Cyprus Mail on Wednesday.

“However, bearing in mind that several airlines are planning to suspend their outbound flights from the UK for some months, we expect that some students will see their flights cancelled.”

Petrou also hinted that the government might bring back repatriation flights soon.

“A well-placed source in the government told me that, should there be more cancellations in the coming days preventing our students from coming back, a plan to reinstate repatriations through charter flights might be set in motion.”

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/11/04/coronavirus-jet2-suspends-all-flights-to-cyprus-until-2021/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body