Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:04 pm 
Forum Admin

Dear Friends,

The High Commissioner Stephen Lillie just published a video on our Facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/204010523005302/posts/3672224549517198/?vh=e&d=n
For those that don’t use Facebook they can find the original video here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bdVpa-Cgjtp7GFjpsnNBdvd8vwad3Yl3/view

Transcript as below:

Today I am speaking to British residents here in Cyprus. My message is focused to those of us living south of the Green Line. The British High Commission is here for all Britons in Cyprus and we are putting out lots of information, including through our frequently asked questions page on Facebook.

At this difficult time, we all need to stay safe and healthy. Above all, that means following government of Cyprus regulations, stay indoors, practice social distancing, and avoid social gatherings. If you do need to go out, make sure you comply with the rules. There is information again on our FAQs page. If you are having trouble with the text service, it could be because you are trying to do it from a UK mobile phone. You need to get a Cyprus SIM card and a Cyprus mobile phone number, in order to be able to access the 8998 service. You can get them from kiosks and convenience stores.

If you think you might be suffering from symptoms of coronavirus, for example a fever, a new persistent cough, do not go to the doctor straight away; call the Ministry of Health hotline on 1420. You can access that from a UK or Cyprus phone. They will tell you what you need to do next.

I know that some Britons here are suffering financial hardship because they cannot go to work or maybe they have even lost their job. The government of Cyprus is putting in assistance measures. British residents are entitled to access those. It might take a bit of time to find out the necessary information but have a look at our FAQs page and you can call the government hotline on 1433, again from any phone.

Finally, I know that many of you are frustrated about the travel restrictions. But the bottom line is there is a travel ban in place so it is difficult to leave or get back to the country. I advise you to look at Foreign Office Travel Advice and our own social media pages.

Thanks for listening, stay in touch and stay safe!

Best regards,

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body