Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:38 pm 

Cabinet approves draconian bill for those caught breaking quarantine

The cabinet on Thursday approved a bill amending the law on spot fines to include a €150 fine for offenders breaking quarantine orders issued by the health minister.
The fine will be imposed by police officers on anyone violating the restrictions in circulation and other bans introduced by the government on Monday in a bid to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
Justice Minister Giorgos Savvides said some offenders should not expect to get off with just a €150 fine.
“There is the capacity, if judged necessary by law enforcement officers, not to impose the fine and take the case to court,” the minister said. “In this case, the offender will face a jail sentence and a fine that is much higher than the spot fine.”
The Quarantine Law provides for a jail sentence of up to six months or a fine of 450 Cyprus pounds (about €768).
That fine however, was increased by the cabinet on Thursday to €3,000
The bill needs parliament’s approval.
The minister said that despite the limitations imposed by the courts on the cases as part of the measures, “violations of the Quarantine Law are among the exemptions … so they will be submitted and tried immediately”.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/03/26/cabinet-approves-draconian-bill-for-those-caught-breaking-quarantine/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:58 pm 
Top of the pops

Wish that they would all start with the dozens of idiots all posting on another forum on face book ...all bragging about taking walks around their area post codes! And not near to their homes!

There are dozens of them ..all British ....all talking about stretching the rules!

They truly do NOT give a dam!

Peyia post code like other area post codes covers miles!

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:35 am 
Major

migmogs wrote:
Wish that they would all start with the dozens of idiots all posting on another forum on face book ...all bragging about taking walks around their area post codes! And not near to their homes!

There are dozens of them ..all British ....all talking about stretching the rules!

They truly do NOT give a dam!

Peyia post code like other area post codes covers miles!

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

:congrats I couldn't agree more ! Plus all the people who have normally walked their dogs twice a day and are now doing it 3, 4 or more times !

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body