Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:22 pm 

Coronavirus: Special hours at pharmacies, supermarkets for vulnerable

Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou has issued a new decree setting special hours at pharmacies and supermarkets for vulnerable groups, the latest in a series of measures to contain the spread of coronavirus.
Earlier today Ioannou had urged everyone to comply with rules to stay at home so as to break the chain of transmission and protect the old and vulnerable who are at most at risk for Covid-19.

The decree comes into force at 6 am on Saturday, March 21. Supermarkets and pharmacies will cater ONLY for the special groups from the time of their opening until 10 am. It covers people who belong to the vulnerable groups as set by the Ministry on March 16, those over 60 and the disabled.

The decree also covers quarantine facilities where all arrivals must stay for 14 days. It prohibits access to these facilities to anyone without the permission of the Health Minister or on duty at the facility from entering.
It also prohibits anyone without the permission of the Health Minister from approaching closer than one metre anyone who has tested positive for coronavirus, is quarantined or in self isolation.
It also authorises those shops still allowed to operate to extend their hours so as to prevent congestion, on condition that employees’ rights are not affected and they do not violate the rule of not more than one person for eight square metres.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:41 am 
Top of the pops

So do we take our Blue Parking Badges with us as proof of disability then?! Not all disabilities are visible!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:04 am 

No idea HOWEVER wouldn't do any harm to take anything to prove you are 'a pensioner' or disabled

I always have proof of age since nobody believes I am over 60 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:47 pm 

A new decree issued by the Minister of Health notes that
"persons who belong to the vulnerable groups of society must be able to present identification or proof of their condition if asked"
to be allowed to enter supermarkets before 10am local time.

The decree which comes into force from Saturday, is necessary, it said due to the non-compliance with the original decree and issues raised regarding the vulnerable groups of society.

Supermarkets will exclusively serve people who belong to vulnerable groups of society, those 60 years and over and people with disabilities from opening until 10am

http://www.parikiaki.com/2020/03/new-decree-for-vulnerable-groups-issued-by-cyprus-minister-of-health/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:29 am 
Top of the pops

Did the weekly shop again early this morning. You would never guess there was a contagion apart from the extra security and hand sanitiser (gloves too at Lidl) at the doors. I was rather flattered when at two different stores I was asked by security if I was over 65! Younger folks were being turned away and told to come back later.

There were no queues and no sign of shortages, certainly no evidence of panic buying but some of the staff understandably looked a tad worried. Ikagora had had a delivery since last week so were well stocked.

After the reports of what was little better than looting in the UK, let's hope it stays like this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:40 pm 
Rock Star

KG wrote:
I was asked by security if I was over 65! Younger folks were being turned away and told to come back later.

Can I just double check this with you? Did they actually say 65, as the rule is people over 60. OH is off shopping tomorrow and falls into the over 60 but under 65 bracket and I am now worried that there might be an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:54 pm 

‘Extract’ from Cyprus Mail today
Despite grumbling by some customers who were unaware on Monday that new regulations meant only people over 60, and the vulnerable could shop at supermarkets between 7am and 10am on producing ID, most people fully complied supermarkets said.

Full story
https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/03/23/coronavirus-grumbling-but-compliance-by-early-shoppers-forced-to-show-ids/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:01 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks for that Dave. I read that story before my post above. I just wanted to check whether KG was actually asked to prove he is over 60 or 65.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:43 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
KG wrote:
I was asked by security if I was over 65! Younger folks were being turned away and told to come back later.

Can I just double check this with you? Did they actually say 65, as the rule is people over 60. OH is off shopping tomorrow and falls into the over 60 but under 65 bracket and I am now worried that there might be an issue.
They said 65 at Lidl, 60 at Sklavenitis. Both took my word for it when I gave my age.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body