Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:35 am 
Rock Star

ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Cyprus' new president said Thursday that he expects to meet the Turkish Cypriot leader in the next two weeks to try to revive talks aimed at reunifying the island.

Dimitris Christofias' election on Feb. 24 has renewed hopes that the 34-year-old division of Cyprus can be resolved. Hours after winning the election, Christofias called for talks with Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat.

Peace talks have been stalled since 2004.

"I expect the meeting with Mr. Talat to occur between the 17th and 24th of this month," Christofias said during a news conference in Athens, where he was ending his first official foreign visit as president.

"It is my wish, yes, to resolve the Cyprus issue during this five-year term ... that's my aim," he said. "We will work tirelessly for this, but this also requires the cooperation of others."

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded the island in response to a coup by supporters of union with Greece. The island joined the European Union in 2004, but the bloc's benefits are only enjoyed by the internationally recognized Greek Cypriot south. A breakaway Turkish Cypriot state in the north is recognized only by Turkey.

"We are both Cypriots. Mr. Talat is a Cypriot and so am I. ... He is an old friend of mine," Christofias said. "(But) the umbilical cord must be cut between the (Turkish Cypriots) and Turkey."

On Wednesday, Christofias said that although his first meeting with Talat would be "exploratory," he hoped the two would agree to open two new crossing points on the divided island.

One will be at Ledra Street, a busy pedestrian thoroughfare in the heart of Cyprus' capital. It has come to embody the island's division, and opening a crossing there would be highly symbolic. Five crossing points have been opened since Turkish Cypriot authorities relaxed restrictions in 2003.

Talat has said he believes there is hope for resolving the Cyprus problem by the end of the year.

Peace talks between the two sides have been stalled since 2004, when Greek Cypriots voted in a referendum to reject a U.N.-backed reunification plan. Turkish Cypriots accepted the plan in a separate vote.

Christofias has said the ultimate goal would be to have a unified, demilitarized Cyprus.

The island has two sovereign British bases, created when the British colony gained independence in 1960.

"We have no plans to touch the (British) bases ... but full demilitarization of the island remains a long-term goal," Christofias said.

A research report released Thursday said a reunified Cyprus could gain an average $2.75 billion each year from new trade with Turkey and other business.

The report, sponsored by the Cyprus Center of the Peace Research Institute of Oslo, predicts a windfall for tourism, trade, construction and other economic sectors, if Greek and Turkish Cypriots reach a political agreement and reunify the island.

The authors said they based their calculations on the increase in commerce between traditional rivals Greece and Turkey after the thawing of relations between the two in 1999.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:43 am 
Top of the pops

For someone trying to forge closer ties with the Turkish Cypriots his first action as President is to go to Greece, probably like every other RoC president since independence.

Why can't he just invite Talat over for a quick coffee on day 2 of his presidency ... now that would have shown better intent !

Same old, same old

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:03 pm 
I think this guy wants to make up with the Turks so he will get their backing when he tries to get the British & American military off the island :roll:

As the Yanks have bases in Turkey, they're not so bothered about Cyprus anymore, so if they fix the divide between the island, he thinks the Yanks will pull out, just leaving the Brits to get rid of :roll:

Or maybe I'm completely wrong & he just wants to have a unified island & be president of it all, instead of just half :D :D

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body