Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:54 am

The Paphos People Advert

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 pm 
Rock Star

A family member from Israel recently visited us for a week, and we insured him in one of our vehicles,
he was allowed to drive (up to 3 months) on his Israeli licence.
Our English neighbour is worried that members of his family from England will have to have
an International Driving Permit to drive in Cyprus after "Brexit". Currently as UK is an EU Member State UK Citizens can drive for up to 3 months visit to Cyprus on their UK licence.
He tells me that yesterday on BBC TV they were warning that up to 3 million International
Driving Permits would need to be issued after Brexit, unless the Brexit negotiations agree
otherwise, or if there is a "No Deal".
What I cannot understand is why our visitor from Israel did not require an International permit, but
UK drivers MAY need to obtain one.
Can anyone clarify all this please?
Amos.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:39 pm 
Top of the pops

exodus wrote:
A family member from Israel recently visited us for a week, and we insured him in one of our vehicles,
Our English neighbour is worried that members of his family from England will have to have
an International Driving Permit to drive in Cyprus after "Brexit". Currently as UK is an EU Member State UK Citizens can drive for up to 3 months visit to Cyprus on their UK licence.
He tells me that yesterday on BBC TV they were warning that up to 3 million International
Driving Permits would need to be issued after Brexit, unless the Brexit negotiations agree
What I cannot understand is why our visitor from Israel did not require an International permit, but
Amos.

Just another remainer dose of 'project fear', Amos.
If they won't let us drive in Cyprus ... they will have to fill a large euro-deficit in tourism, because we will holiday outside the EU instead !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm 
Top of the pops

Tourists vs permanently living, hence driver license requirement is different.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:46 am 
Rock Star

Sergio wrote:
Tourists vs permanently living, hence driver license requirement is different.

If you read my OP again you will see I was talking about English tourists and Israeli tourists; no mention of permanent residents.
Amos.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:54 am 
Master

SFD wrote:
exodus wrote:
Amos.

If they won't let us drive in Cyprus ... they will have to fill a large euro-deficit in tourism, because we will holiday outside the EU instead !

Hmm Project Fear has rapidly turned to project reality ......

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:35 am 
Rock Star

toonarmy9752 wrote:
SFD wrote:
exodus wrote:
Amos.

Hmm Project Fear has rapidly turned to project reality ......

Noted, thanks. The problem is that Brexit affects not just UK, but other countries also.
I have mentioned this before in another thread.
If the EU, of which Cyprus is a Member State, make things more "difficult" for UK visitors who wish to drive, chances are the same hassle will apply (e.g.) to Israeli visitors.
Amos.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body