Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

The Paphos People Advert

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:46 pm 
Star

We finally got around to exchanging our UK photo card driving licences for Cypriot ones today . I think we got our timing wrong , we arrived at 11am , lots of learner drivers being delt with . But the helpful staff guided us through filling in the Tom form , photos taken , it was 12 noon when we left . 40€ for me , free for the wife , collect in 2 weeks .
I thought I had read somewhere that you need to be taken outside to read a number plate , but they didn't with us ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:37 pm 
Top of the pops

I don't think that is a requirement when changing from a UK licence to a Cypriot one. I didn't have to when I changed mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:41 pm 
Star

Made me doubt myself , but when I had a look it was toonarmy that posted it .

toonarmy9752 wrote:
THE OPENING HOURS FOR THE ROAD TRANSPORT DEPT in PAPHOS
8am to 3pm, call them to check 26821336
Went to the Dept yesterdya and all done and dusted in under one hour left with a cypriot driving licence

you are ALLOWED to change it for the cypriot one if you choose to do so - after 185 days of residing here. Your existing licence can still be used legally as long as it is valid by the photocard date

Note... the time limit for use of a UK driving licence is until it expires - but be aware the on the plastic card the date that the photocard expires is different and shorter than the one on the paper section... usually 10 - 15 years life depending location of issue.

for example the wifes plastic card expiry was 10th May 2015 but paper section was 2028???? and the paper bit will no longer be valid after 1st june 2015....

TIP - - -
Dont go to the main desk where the queue is - if standing in the queue LOOKING AT THE GLASS OF RECEPTION go down the corridor to the right of the reception office - 2nd door down on the left

If renewing / replacing here - just remember to take everything with you and copies plus €40 too makes it so much easier and quicker... this is the list i used - - - - - - -taken from an email i received from the dept.

I would like to inform you that according to the Cyprus legislation you are allowed to drive in Cyprus with your U.K driving licence until it expires. After the 6 months permanent stay in Cyprus you are allowed to exchange your driving licence with a Cyprus one.

(In order to exchange your driving licence you must be a permanent resident (185 days) of the Republic of Cyprus.)

Converting foreign driving license in Cyprus:

• An application for driving license (TOM 7B).

• Two recent photographs sized 40X35 mm

• Identity Card (Certificate of Alien Registration (for foreigners) (original and one photocopy).

• Passport (original and a photocopy of the first page with the details of the applicants).

• Foreign driving license (original and a photocopy of all pages). (The foreign driving license will be sent to the Competent Authority of the State of issue).

• Translation of foreign driving license unless it is in English or Greek language. The translation must be made by the Public Information Office or the Embassy of the country that issued the foreign driving license (original and a photocopy).

• The application along with all relevant documents should be presented in person to the District Offices exam guide for relevant inspection and approval of the conversion.

The cost is 40 Euro. It will be done on the same day

note - once the official has checked the paperwork over he will hand it back and then do a sight test - you get asked to read a number plate in the car park from the office - and this was so funny he asked my missus to read the plate and because she read it accurately and quickly (clearly thought it was our own car) he then asked her to read another plate... now.... the second one definitely was our car!!! lol PMSL .. then a fingers flexing check... bith hands...... job done....you then simply go to the reception area with €40 and pay then she will print and issue the licence.
Mind you its not a plastic card. we got one thats a pre-printed pink card with the photo stapled to it.. and stamped..lol . also be wary of typo errors on the new licence - luckily we checked ours for errors and sure enough they got the name wrong but hey ho they sorted it out... and Trassos was superb and very helpful. Hats off to him.. vey helpful

No medical required as long as you ask only for classes b and b1.... if you need to drive vans trailers and minibuses then be aware they will ask you for a medical certificate. My local med centre quoted me a charge of €35 for a driving licence medical with the GP. So pleased we didnt need it.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body