Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 pm

The Paphos People Advert

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:03 pm 
Major

I have a car I would like to bring to Cyprus to use when I am there which is around 3 months of the year. I do not own a property but rent, not always in the same place. I have a friend who will look after it when I am not there. Is this possible as I am not a property owner?
Thanks
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:05 pm 

Yes it is ok to have a car registered to you even if you don't own a property but it has to be registered to your address here so, either you would have to changes address each time you move or register it at your friends address. We have always rented and have a car here but at the same address. We got advice from Neil at ANW Cars in Tremithousa and he helped us with the import.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:21 am 
Rock Star

We used ANW also - very happy with them.

You don't say what the car is - have you investigated costs??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:09 am 
Graduate

Location: Shrewsbury Shropshire, but preparing for a new adventure
No need to be an owner.
I brought my car over in 2009 with Grimaldi, http://www.grimaldi.co.uk/AgencyUK/contactus.aspx I sailed with it. It takes around 2 weeks. Grimaldi will be your shipping agent from UK and can advise you on who to use this side. You will need an agent to sort out the paperwork when it arrives in Limassol as Customs will need to check it on arrival.

Quite a painless excerise.

If you want a nice leisurely break come over on the boat with the vehicle as it makes several stops on the way, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt and Israel.

If you are just letting it travel alone don't load it with your belongings as they may go missing. As I mentioned earlier I travelled with mine so that I could check that all was ok as I had quite a lot of gear stowed in it.

You will of course need to get it registered here with customs and the plates changed etc. This is not as painful as some may suggest although it does have a cost.

Hope this helps

Rob

I'm not lost...........just undiscovered.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:03 pm 
Major

Hi, thanks for the replies, sounds good.
JB - The car is a renault megan 2005 15cc. We have had it from new. Part exchange is rubbish over here so have decided to keep it as a second car as it is in tip top condition.
Shropshire Lad - how much did your "cruise" cost.
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:45 pm 
Graduate

Location: Shrewsbury Shropshire, but preparing for a new adventure
Not so much a 'cruise' as such although it is called a 'Freighter Cruise', it is still a 10 storey floating car park. You do get a cabin and you also get fed.
I am not currently in Cyprus and all the figures are in a file in Paphos but from memory I think it was around £1500 GBP.

I will send you a PM of my 'Moving Diary'

Rob

I'm not lost...........just undiscovered.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:40 pm 
Rock Star

chrisand ray wrote:
JB - The car is a renault megan 2005 15cc.

That's quite a small engine :doh

Have you looked at the import 'duty' for this model?

We used ANW as our agent and Andrews for shipping.
We paid €379 'duty' on our HRV as it was en-route before mid Sept 2013 - if it was later than that then the duty was going to be over €3K!!!

Do your sums before you embark on this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:57 pm 
Major

Ha ha, 1500 cc :oops: sorry
I haven't looked for any further information yet
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:50 pm 
Rock Star

chrisand ray wrote:
Ha ha, 1500 cc :oops: sorry
I haven't looked for any further information yet
Chris

better start here then ...

http://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/customs/customs.nsf/All/56C4D9A3AB5A5B0AC2257488003A6B03?OpenDocument

Edit - I just had a quick look and it came out at just over €400, but I had to guess at a lot of the figures.
You said it was 1500, but the options seem to be 1400 or 1600

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:54 pm 
Major

Oh thanks for that JD you are very helpful. The actual cc is 1461, which seems a little weird, I just got it off the registration certificate, so rounded it up.
Looks like it might be worth shipping it over at those prices. I will certainly pursue it more. We paid for 16 weeks car hire last year and will probably do the same this. so if the prices are right it would pay for itself the first year.
As I said before, we are buying new this year and the part exchange is not good. I know it is an old car but the mileage is low and it has been well looked after, certainly a lot better than some of the hire cars we have had!
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:16 pm 

chrisand ray wrote:
Oh thanks for that JD you are very helpful. The actual cc is 1461, which seems a little weird, I just got it off the registration certificate, so rounded it up.
Looks like it might be worth shipping it over at those prices. I will certainly pursue it more. We paid for 16 weeks car hire last year and will probably do the same this. so if the prices are right it would pay for itself the first year.
As I said before, we are buying new this year and the part exchange is not good. I know it is an old car but the mileage is low and it has been well looked after, certainly a lot better than some of the hire cars we have had!
Chris

have a word with ANW cars as they just imported mine and although it costs a little more than doing it yourself they will tell you exact costs including registration, customs, excise etc and they take you to all the places you need to go (which we did in 2 hours)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body