Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

The Paphos People Advert

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Timing belt/chains
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:52 pm 
Top of the pops

How frequently would you suggest a timing belt is replaced as a matter of course?

Is it on vehicle age, mileage or what criteria?

When looking at a belt, what indications are on it to suggest it may have damage and need replaced?

What are the consequences of not replacing a timing belt?

Lastly, as a routine job, what should an owner expect to pay for the job.

Live your dreams.

Post subject: Re: Timing belt/chains
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:38 pm 
Master

tanny wrote:
How frequently would you suggest a timing belt is replaced as a matter of course?

It really depends on the make of the vehicle but on average around 60/70,000 miles or if the vehicle is around 7 years old which ever comes first.

tanny wrote:
When looking at a belt, what indications are on it to suggest it may have damage and need replaced?

Even If you can see the belt its very hard to tell unless its thread bearing making it really obvious also if you look on the casing there may be a label with the date of the last change on it.

tanny wrote:

Disastrous your worst nightmare very expensive repair job and if the belt does snap under no circumstances restart the vehicle or you will cause even more damage.

tanny wrote:

Again it depends on the make of the vehicle how much work involved so anything between £200-£500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:39 pm 
Master

The Highlander wrote:
tanny wrote:

It really depends on the make of the vehicle but on average around 60/70,000 miles or if the vehicle is around 7 years old which ever comes first.

tanny wrote:

Even If you can see the belt its very hard to tell unless its thread bearing making it really obvious also if you look on the casing there may be a label with the date of the last change on it.

tanny wrote:

Disastrous your worst nightmare very expensive repair job and if the belt does snap under no circumstances try to restart the engine or you will cause even more damage.

tanny wrote:

Again it depends on the make of the vehicle how much work involved so anything between £200-£500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 pm 
Top of the pops

When you consider the cost of a new engine, it seems a reasonable price to pay.

Should any other items be replaced at the same time. maybe our sponsor provides this service?

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:09 am 
Master

tanny wrote:

Should any other items be replaced at the same time. maybe our sponsor provides this service?

Again it depends on the vehicle, say for example my car, at the moment my toy is a Yellow Seat Leon Cupra R 300 bhp not for the faint heated, when replacing the timing belt you also have to renew the pulley tensioners and water pump.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:09 am 
Top of the pops

tanny wrote:

Hi Tanny, Give Simon a call, he will give you the quote!!!

http://www.dealsonwheelscy.com/servicing.html

I had a brand new Daewoo Leganza,in 1998, thought good saving at the time to last me 5 years till we retired to Cyprus, 3 years all included service etc,etc, it had a 2 litre australian 'Holden' general motors engine which in the instruction manual recommended belt change at 70,000 miles, I had done 65,000 miles and was giving the car with my business I sold, Sue was driving the car (slowly thank goodness!!) and the belt broke (ie no inlet/exhaust valve timing) and the pistons hit the valves on the 19th Aug 2003 (We were moving to Cyprus 'lock stock and barrel on the 21 September!!!) I was lucky it only cost approx £500 to get fixed + a hire car while it was being fixed.

I found out then that General Motors and reduced the 'belt' change to 50,000 miles but at the time Daeooo went 'bust' and I never got info from General Motors who took over Daewoo !!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:54 pm 
Major

Most manufacturers recommend belt to be changed at 60000 miles . It hard to see the condition of the belt without removing . If the belt snaps the valves will be open when the piston comes up . Normally bending all valves. Valves can be up to 50€ each plus engineers cost and mechanics labour makes it a costly job. I would look for a undamaged used head.
However I have a special offer any belt changed for 199€ I will also change aux belts . I will on some cars change tensioner included in price. If customers want or I recommend I will fit water pump at cost. Some water pumps are not part of the t belt system. Water pumps cost 60/70€.
So for less than 300€ you can have the whole job.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:23 pm 
Star

For peace of mind I always used to have the timing/cam belt changed when I bought a second hand car.
One did snap on me at around 30,000 miles, I was lucky as the engine was an 1987 Vauxhall with an 8 valve engine, so no damage to the valves.
Ever since then I have only bought cars that use timing/cam chains, with regular servicing they are a lot more reliable and should last the lifetime of the car.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Heard Simons article on Rockfm this morning about it (the only reason I tune in!!) and it was interesting, full of sense.

Live your dreams.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body