Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 9:14 am

The Paphos People Advert

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK registered vehicles
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:37 pm 
Top of the pops

I see quite a number of (usually higher end) vehicles running for a considerable time on UK plates.

What are the implications for registration, MOT, insurance and other aspects for such an owner?

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:01 pm 
Top of the pops

I can only go on our experience when we bought our Pajero out in 2005. We got insurance from here based on the existing MOT while we applied for duty free exemption to get it registered on Cypriot plates.We paid visitors road tax every month while we waited as it took an age to get the paperwork they required and sent in triplicate to Nicosia where it joined a very long queue. 8 months later we had to return to the UK and as we still had not heard anything from Nicosia we shipped it back.The day after it went on it's cruise we got a letter from Nicosia asking us for another load of documents,copies of the ones they already had.

So maybe that is why you are seeing the UK registrations while they wait for registration over here. They do have to pay visitors road tax and have valid insurance and an in date mot from the UK.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:13 pm 
Top of the pops

Some of them I have seen for a considerable time and there be implications for outstanding MOTS (UK is yearly, Cyprus 2 yearly), is the MOT valid. Is the insurance valid, is road tax paid. Is there any implications if involved in an accident with such a car....

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:33 pm 
Top of the pops

your guess is as good as mine Doug,i know our mot was still in date when we shipped it back and we paid the visitors road tax at the dept of trspt on Polis road monthly ( what a performance that was) and the insurance gave us cover but with our assurance that it would eventually get registered here.That probably wasn't worth the paper it was written on thinking back and knowing what we know now.
I cannot imagine things have changed much since then or what the implications are.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:46 pm 
Master

Some two years ago the Police had a purge on UK reg plates - my advice - drive at your peril.! It generally takes about 6 months to get a UK reg to a Cyprus plate.

John

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:56 pm 
Top of the pops

I swapped mine in one morning after paying the tax and duty. I am just a little puzzled why there is so many that I recognize as having been here for a long time and a growing number of them also.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:34 am 
Graduate

Location: Shrewsbury Shropshire, but preparing for a new adventure
I mentioned this on another thread a short while ago........ Simon replied that they would be unregistered vehicles and therefore not taxed and insured and likely with no MOT either.

It is permissable to drive an imported vehicle on original plates for 6 months but then it must be registered. I did this and registered mine just over 3 years ago. Time consuming and relatively painless apart from paying the illegal duty.

Rob

I'm not lost...........just undiscovered.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:42 am 
Junior

We had the same long drawn out procedure when changing ours, I seem to remember having to go up to the Government offices every 2 months to get a a slip of paper to say we were waiting for our paperwork to come back from Nicosia, so it really doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you have the signed paper from the Gov offices every two months. I also remember if you are still on U.K. plates you are supposed to inform the authorities if you leave Cyprus for any length of time AND pay to put it in storage, the longer your away for the more it costs, you can't even park it outside your own house!
Don't they just love red tape.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:53 pm 

Have you noticed most of them are on private uk plates. The fact is that after 6 months you must re register in any EU country. If you have an accident involving one of these vehicles they cannot be insured as the insurance company must have a copy of a cyprus log book.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body