Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 am

The Paphos People Advert

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: import duty calculator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 pm 

Hi all, i have just used the software calculator to find out how much i would have to pay to bring in my one year old Discovery4 HSE. It works out around 19,000 euros! :shock: surely that can't be right? Am i doing something wrong?

I have already paid VAT and tax in the UK when i bought it brand new.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:16 am 
Major

Unfortunately that figure is correct . You can bring in under change of Europe resistance but can't be sold for three years or driven by anyone who is not a family dependant. ie son daughter wife. The duty will be nothing but dose not apply the visitors only residents coming for first time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:12 pm 
Top of the pops

You need to speak to your Euro MP as this duty is illegal. There is a free movement of peoples goods anywhere in the EU providing you have owned and used them for a minimum of 6 months. They are regularly fined for doing this but the fine is miniscule compared with the income from their nefarious dealings.
We shipped our car back to the UK in 2006 because they wanted what amounted to 20 thousand sterling on a car worth 3 thousand in the UK. It is theft and should not be allowed to continue.
Maybe this new President will start to weed out all these old practices that rip people off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 pm 
Major

What we must not forget is that we are visitors to this loverly island though our own choice. To call their laws theft and bang the eu drum could be consided rude. If you were a visitor to uk and were critising the law would that be well recived.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:32 pm 
Top of the pops

Simon Emery wrote:
What we must not forget is that we are visitors to this loverly island though our own choice. To call their laws theft and bang the eu drum could be consided rude. If you were a visitor to uk and were critising the law would that be well recived.

Visitors we may be, however complaining about what appear to be illegal practices is not in my opinion rude! The law is not being criticised but the apparent lack of following it. I don't want to comment too much as am not conversant with relevant rules, however I am sure someone can clarify it all for us.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:13 pm 
Idol

Quote:
What we must not forget is that we are visitors

We are NOT visitors to this island. We have made our homes and futures here in exactly the same way as many hundreds of thousands of Cypriots have done all over the world.

And it is certainly not rude to complain when the law is being broken nor is it rude to criticise when we are continually and blatantly being ripped off by a government department. Or anyone else come to that.
I don't think 'visitors' would have invested the many millions into the country the same way legally entitled EU citizens have done.

Foreigners we may be but visitors we are not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:34 pm 
Top of the pops

Nosher wrote:
Quote:
What we must not forget is that we are visitors

We are NOT visitors to this island. We have made our homes and futures here in exactly the same way as many hundreds of thousands of Cypriots have done all over the world.

And it is certainly not rude to complain when the law is being broken nor is it rude to criticise when we are continually and blatantly being ripped off by a government department. Or anyone else come to that.
I don't think 'visitors' would have invested the many millions into the country the same way legally entitled EU citizens have done.

Foreigners we may be but visitors we are not.

Well said.I totally agree.The law does not apply to Cyprus where we "visitors" are concerned. When we shipped our car back to the UK and phoned the DVLA to re register it as back in the country ,the gentleman asked why we bothered to ship it back and when we told them that Cypriot customs had asked for 20 thousand sterling import duty he catagorically said " oh no no no ,the duty was paid on it in this country so does not have to be paid again as Cyprus is in the EU ". From the horses mouth I think!
All the car sales charge this knowing it is illegal and I can only assume that they may be getting a cut to keep doing it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 am 
Idol

When I came here I wanted to bring my Audi A 6 with me.
I was told I'd have to pay 100% duty so practically gave it away in the UK.
Time this lot were made to pay proper fines and punitive damages.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:39 am 
Major

Just a note about eu duties , Ireland are chargeing a vrt on all cars imported , I have done a comparison honda hrv duty in cyprus 2005 year , 411 euro . Ireland vrt 1175 eruo . I was aware of the duties before i came here and have paid duty on about 600 car over 7 years . In a country of relitively low taxes i think we can let them have some thing. As per first post you can bring car under change of normal residence. As to getting commision I wish. I would love for the dutyies to be ended so i could sell my car cheaper but in the current state of the country and the fact the Ireland have been charging VRT for years I think it is very unlikely.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body