Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:34 pm

The Paphos People Advert

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MOT
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:30 am 
Major

Its that time of year again when we all go to tax our cars and find out we need mot. This should help.

This month I am going to discuses the M.O.T test, recent changes ,what they are looking for and how to make sure your car will pass.

In Cyprus all cars are due an MOT every 2 years, the only exception to this is a car registered new from the dealer these are due after 4 years and then every 2 after that. The test is to make sure you car is road worthy and safe, also you can’t tax your car without current MOT. The cost is 34 euros.

The test in Cyprus has been quite simple up until recently when slowly new regulations have come in.
Bull bars or any accessory that is longer than the bumper must now be removed. Tinted windows are also one of the latest focuses. This also includes faders on the windscreen. If you car has factory tint they wont fail it but the stick on stuff must be peeled off. Before people start quoting European law , I would like to say that I deal in cars and fact and in my experience what they say goes.
Reading this you will realise there is some sense in it all as the next victim is the fat boy exhaust system. The station have all just bought decibel meters, your car must be less than 100decibel at high revs to pass. Well that’s the boy races sorted out however there’s nothing to stop them from changing the exhaust before the test then putting it back, if they can be bothered then they are sadder than I thought.
Rather like the UK all the cars systems should be working correctly, The main fail is the ABS , for those who don’t know this is the anti lock breaks . The light must come on with the ignition and then go out in a few seconds. If it stays on this is a fail. Coming soon if a full diagnostic computer test for your car, where the station will read the fault codes from your cars ECU (electronic control unit) or its brain as I call it. This will of course take longer than the current test and the stations are currently trying to get the price of an MOT raised .

How can you help you car to pass?
Tyres, They are looking for a matched pair on each axel, so have a look at the makes of tyres and maybe swap them about a bit so they match.
Mud flaps, If you are looking at you car from behind you should only be able to see 2/3 of the wheel, if you can see more then you need mud flaps.
Emissions, This is the most popular fail. There are a few things you can do to avoid this. Try to tie in you service so that you have it done before your MOT is due this is guaranteed to reduce your emissions. I have a couple of tips of my own that will help. Go to the EKO petrol station the week before you car is due and buy 100 octane unleaded fuel it cost more but will burn cleaner and will lower emissions. Also the hotter you car is when you take it the better the catalytic converter will work so give it a good thrash on your way to the station.
Lights, Sounds daft but if you car fails you will have to pay 10 euros retest. So get a friend to help you check them. In my experience most cars that come for service at the workshop have more than one bulb gone.
Tyre Pressures, You car will be checked on a rolling road so make sure your pressures are right if anything you want them on the lower unloaded pressure if you have them too hard you could fail when they test the shockers.

However if this all sounds like hard work to you I offer a pre MOT and MOT service. In my experience I get most though first time just for a bit of attention to detail. If you have miss any car care tips from previous months you can read them on my website www.dealsonwheelscy.com or pop down to the workshop if you have any other question.

Post subject: Re: MOT
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 pm 

Hi Simon

After my MOT last year I was told that I would need to replace my tyres with new ones for the next MOT as the ones I have on now (which look perfectly OK) will be out of date. I can not find any date on the tyres I have so how does the MOT station know this?

Is this correct about new tyres and will you please explain the situation?

Thanks

Polly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 pm 

Maybe it was just a friendly warning from your mot tester !
Old tyres tend to crack-up on the side wall long before they look worn out !
(thats 1 of the major things to cause a Blow-out )
Im sure if you nip it round to Simon he will take a look for free and give you an honest answer .........!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:03 pm 
Major

If you look hard at your tyres there is a 6 or 8 digid code normaly the last 2 digids refer to the year of manufacture. however i find that all mot testers are diferent . There is talk of tyres that are over 4 year old failing mot but I dont think is relivent yet. The next new rules that are coming are , test on brake fluid for water and cameras in the station to make sure test are done properly. As Ian has posted I am more than happy to give advice on my opinion if a car will pass.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body