Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: School advise needed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:27 pm 

thanks have never been on any site like this before and was very nervous but already feel very welcome! does anyone have any info about what the schools are like in peyia i have 3 children ages 3, 18 months and 15 weeks so need to make sure the schools are good - i have heard only bad things about the private schools but a bit worried about putting the kids into a native speaking school

Post subject: Re: School advise needed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:11 pm 
Forum Admin

Hi
I have moved this post from the introduce yourself thread into the 2day2
main forum , you will get a better response here..

Welcome again

:greetings

I am sure some people who can help
you , will be along soon..
(I dont have kids) :wink:

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:14 pm 
Top of the pops

Hello again,
As well as the local Greek schools (which are great for most children) there is a number of private/independant schools in Pafos, including the International, Americal academy and Pegasus.

The schools you decide on depend upon the strengths etc of each child and the needs of the family.

For young children I suggest going to Greek school and learning the language and culture at as early an age as possible, if a higher/ further education is planned away from the Island then a tailored study of A level and further can be had at many different institutions, but the essential early years is important.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:27 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi

I was talking to a friend tonight, who was telling me her little girl is 5 years old, goes to local school, and is fluent in Greek. At the age your children are, it would probably be best to put them in local school. That way they can make friends in all communities, and learn the language while they are very young, and able to take it in very easily.

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:49 pm 
Master

HI,
my 2 youngest children go to peyia school eldest 12 youngest 6.They dont actually start primary over here till they are 5 yrs 9 months joe was 10 when we moved here and i was dreading him going to greek school my only son lol but has settled in brilliantly can speak fluent greek and is getting As in his greek tests. Eryn did not have a good time at all at first let me tell you and i went through a really traumatic few months worrying about her but now she is fine. They go to the kindergarten next door to the school at i think 4 but i put Eryn and she hated it as she did not understand the teachers at all so we took her out and put her in a private kindergarten which was very cheap compared to uk and the lady who runs it is lovely Katerina. Anyway she she speaks perfect english so we were on a winner and she spoke to Eryn in greek all the time and if Eryn didnt understand she told her in english bargin. So then we cut eryn down to afternoons at Katerinas and she went to kindergarten in the morning so we broke her in slowly then when it was time for her to start school this sept she couldnt wait and now she is also fluent in greek and doing really well and loving school so much she misses it when they have holidays. Joe goes to Emba in sept and really doesnt want to leave peyia at all he loves it aswell.
any other info i can help you with i will try my best you only have to ask.
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:22 am 
Junior

Same here my daughter (4) is also at Katerinas school. She went when she was 2 1/2 and did not speak a work of greek and now is very good at her greek (even if she refuses to speak it infront of her mummy and daddy :roll: . We are currently waiting to hear from the local kindergarten (baby school as MJ puts it) to see if she has been accepted so fingers crossed. Apparently the local schools now have to provided and english speaking assistance when there are english kids in the school in order to ease the transition from one language to another.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body