Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:55 am 
Top of the pops

One of the headlines in the Cyprus Weekly today....

Amongst examples given were parking in the most stupid thoughtless places....
I can testify to that example. We have a set of steps at one entrance to our office block and every single day a cypriot who works in Immigration parks on the pavement at an angle. You can't get to the stairs or walk on the pavement.

But the best by far....and the winner of this weeks 'Bad Driving Award' has to go to..........

The woman who parked her car on the single track road running through the park near our offices and took 27 yes, 27 manouvers, to REVERSE OUT OF THE TRACK.....
For every meter she went back and hit the kerb she pulled forward at least 3!

I just wished I had it on video.

So is it in their genes???

Tiggy

Helen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:40 pm 
Web-Site Admin

I think you have to admire the creativity - I've seen cars parked in places I wouldn't have thought it physically possible to get to!

Mind you, the local Cypriots probably think us Brits are just a bit too uptight about rules and regulations - we need to learn to think outside the box a bit more I reckon! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:14 pm 
Rock Star

I always find it amusing when going to the Paphos Mall, loads of parking spaces available, yet there are still people who feel the need to park in the only place they are not supposed to.... right outside the front door and along the road with the double yellow lines.

Recently I've had to kerb my road rage, when a stupid idiot just pulled out onto the busy main road without a care in the world right in front of me, didn't think to look at the flow of traffic coming in his direction.... that would be too much like sensible driving!

Yx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:14 pm 
Idol

I think it's genetically modified driving.

We used to think if you could open the drivers door by the third attempt you'd passed the test here. Or handed out a big enough brown envelope !!

Nosh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Must admit they are all a bit mad!! but, as they say, If you cant beat 'em join em!!! and keep your eyes up your **** at the same time. My friend, on his first visit from the Uk was out with me one day in my car, and as I was driving past Titania Cafe in Pano Pafos saw some frineds having a coffee. So I stopped just outside on double yellows and went to get out the car and my friend said "What you doing you cant park here its Double Yellow lines", My reaction, "You dont park in Cyprus you abandon!!" His prompt reply (He used to drive for Parceline in the UK, nightmare when trying to deliver parcels to businesses) "Well thats it Im movin over here and getin a driving job, Love it!!"

I do still maintain most of my driving "skills" I was taught in The UK but have found out that if you dont, to a certain extent, learn their "werid" ways you'll get left at the Crossroads!!. I even still indicate if theres nothing on the road anywhere near me, but cant get out of doing that.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:02 am 
Regular

No, the males of this island have better things to keep in thier genes, or they think they have....... :woohoo
Ooooops silly me I meant jeans :wink: .....Maggie

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body