Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:32 pm 
Regular

We have just booked out seats for our visit in May and received the tickets from the holiday company. Attached to the tickets are various bits of information about other services we can purchase, such as in flight meals, additional baggage and seats next to each other. There was however another piece of information which has caused me a bit of concern.

The holiday company state there is now "an additional charge of 17 euros payable locally for all car hire collected at both Paphos and Larnaca airports". This is the first I have heard of this chanrge and as this is the first time we will have used the new airport we are wondering if this is something the airport operators are charging or if it is something each of the car hire companies are now charging. Has anyone heard about this charge?

We will be contacting our usual car hire company soon but would like to know about this charge before we get in touch with them, just in case.

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Regards.

John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:44 pm 
Top of the pops

This week I enquired about hire for a family member coming to visit and was quoted as well as the daily rate for "Extra 15.00 Euro on Airport delivery fee." I queried it and received this in reply

Quote:
For the purpose of reconstruction/improvement in both International Airports in Cyprus (Larnaca and Paphos). The Government of Cyprus has entered into a 25 year agreement with a strategic Investor who has undertaken the burden of considerable investment in the construction of modern airport facilities with the right of commercial exploitation of all airport resources. (Aircraft landing fees, operation of commercial activities within the airport buildings, -Car Hire included-parking fees etc.

As regards car hire activities the companies licenced to cover this activity have been reduced to 6 by open competition resulting in the considerable increase of the resident fee (rent) plus the payment of an airport delivery fee for each car delivered within the airports vicinity. This becomes effective as from 1 November 2008.

You will, we hope, appreciate that the payment of an airport delivery fee is an unavoidable charge for the facility of airport delivery which saves the customer inconvenience and transportation costs to his/her tourist area destination.

Its common at London airports to pay an extra charge for collecting/returning to the airport but quite why one needs to pay for the privilege escapes me !!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm 
Regular

Many thanks for the quick response.

Does this mean you can only use one of the 6 licenced companies if you want to collect and or drop off at the airport? Or if you use an"unlicenced" company they have to park outside of the airport boundaries? I am sure most of the smaller Paphos based hire companies will not be too pleased about this change in circumstances.

Reagrds.

John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:16 pm 
Master

As an example, Budget do not any longer have a pitch at Paphos or Larnaca airports, but now provide a shuttle bus to their premises 5 minutes away from both airports, and when you return the car they drop you off in the shuttle bus at the airport.

carollynne

ps the boss of Budget did offer to pay the increased charges to remain at both the airports, but Hermes decided they were not a big enough company! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:59 pm 
Regular

Carollynne

Thanks for the explanation. I will contact my usual hirer and see what arrangements they have in place now.

Hope you are keeping well.

Regards.

John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:34 pm 
Graduate

When we were over at the end of January, George (Easy Rentacar) told us about the airport charge, so he parked our hire car on the beach side of the airport road on rough ground, so as to avoid the extra charge. There were lots of other cars parked there too.

Kevin

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body