The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Second Chance!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:25 pm 
Top of the pops

Now I am not moaning about the way things turned out, but if YOU had the chance to do exactly what you wanted in life career wise what would you do?
When I left school unless you wanted to teach or be a secretary then your only option was to marry. I had to wait till much later to go to Uni to do what I wanted.
Now there is sooo much opportunity and careers that just didn't exist in my youth.

Me, I would have Crime Scene Investigation ( if only to work with 'H' :celebrate )

What career would you choose now?

Tiggy

Helen

Post subject: Re: Second Chance!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:36 pm 
Idol

Hmmm, that's a poser Tiggy given that with years of experience we know the ins and outs of certain careers. I think I would have made a good detective, not much gets past me and I love seeing what I can find out!! Plus Owen has a schoolboy crush on Helen Mirren and I'm wondering what the fuss is about?? :wink:

I really wanted to be a nurse on leaving school, went for the interviews, exams etc and at last minute decided against it because I didn't want to be working nights and weekends when my friends would all be out enjoying themselves!! Ended up in book keeping/admin but have had a good living out of it along the way, usually for myself.

Kaz x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:37 pm 
Rock Star

I'd be a formula one racing driver.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:41 pm 
Top of the pops

Karen, I think most women are naturally good detectives!!! :lol: It is just in our nature......

Tiggy

Helen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:56 pm 
Top of the pops

........... to be suspicious !
gary :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:04 am 
Rock Star

discopants wrote:
........... to be suspicious !
gary :wink:

..........usually with good reason :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:13 am 
Rock Star

The one thing I regret is not traveling.
I know the opportunities for travel back in the late 60's early 70's were not as great as they are now but they did exist.
Back in those days we still had a merchant navy and a few of my friends joined as engineers and electricians after they completed their apprenticeships.They became officers, traveled the world and had a whole lifetimes worth of experiences before returning home (mostly) and settling down and getting married.
I just served my apprenticeship then got a nice stable job with a good employer. Got the three millstones (wife, Mortgage & kids) and spent the following 29 years wishing I'd done things differently. (Bitter? Me? Never! lol)
I keep telling my kids to travel whilst they are still young.
I'm trying to catch up now and visit all the incredible places the world has to offer. (so many places so little time)

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:23 am 
Top of the pops

Tiggy and Karen, I too would have liked to have been a detective, however a spelling mistake on my school leavers application sent me to the 'defective' occupations. :cry:

I would have loved yo have spent more years at sea and travelling.

But in general no regrets.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:40 am 
Rock Star

Well strange you should mention CSI, I actually did want to be a forensic psychologist, but I started working while still at school and have to say I enjoyed what I was doing at the time, was good at it and opted to climb the career path that way.

Going back to studying this year to do something I love, not university level, but gives me what I need.

It's never too late to start those dreams and aspirations!!!

Yx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:43 am 
Top of the pops

That is very true Yvonne.

I got my TEFAL certificate out here at the tender age of 49! Not used it yet but you never know.

Tiggy

Helen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:04 pm 
Top of the pops

Tiggy wrote:
That is very true Yvonne.

I got my TEFAL certificate out here at the tender age of 49! Not used it yet but you never know.

Tiggy

Pardon my ignorance Helen, but what is TEFAL? I know it's nothing to do with saucepans, but it's now intriguing me.

If I had my time over, what would I do? I would have loved to have worked in the travel industry - I always said I wanted to be an airhostess, but didn't really know what it meant :roll: However, when I left school in 1964 I didn't know how to go about it, so ended up being a comptometer operator (hence the bad finger joints now :roll: ), and then spent over 30 years in customer service when comps became defunct.

Still, I would have liked to have given air hostessing a try - always seemed so glamorous. Either that, or gone on the stage - loved it when I was in Amateur Dramatics and Operatics :lala

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:30 pm 
Graduate

I wish that I had gone on to university. I went back to school to do the 6th form but all my friends had left and I didn't enjoy it. My Dad told me that I could leave if I had found a job with a fortnight, which I did. For the last 20 odd years have worked as a travel agent, but it is one of the worst paid industries to be in - at least waitressing you get tips!!! In the beginning you used to get really good travel deals, but they have gradually got more and more expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:42 pm 
Junior

Oh Lush, you could have gone to Uni if you had really wanted to.

I left school with no qualifications and became a GPO telephonist. At 38 I decided I needed to, improve my mind, so started evening classes and went to uni when I was 44, got the bug and did a masters at 50, nothing to do with work, purely self satisfaction.

But what I really wanted to do was work in Air Traffic Control. Unfortunately by the time I had the qualifications to do that, I was too old.

Jo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:50 pm 
Rock Star

One thing I wish I'd done was go into the WRENS when I was 19. I'd been going out with someone who worked in the same office as me for 2 years and when it came to the day I was giving my notice in he asked me not to go.
6 months later I found he was two timing me anyway but the opportunity had passed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:54 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Jean,
TEAFL (or TEFAL) as it is pronounced is Teaching English as a Foreign Language.
Wouldn't mind teaching adults but not anyone under the age of 21!! :wink:

Tiggy

Helen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:42 pm 
Idol

Hi.

It's so strange, I'll never forget what my dad said to me when I was younger, You see my sister was a real 'swot' and I was a daydreamer and always in trouble for not doing my homework or concentrating. A bit like my middle daughter and I'm always telling her (if she only knew!). I was more the artistic type.
This day my dad was reading the newspaper and there was a list of jobs, 'up there' he said was my sister, a teacher,(he was right she has her Masters, etc, etc)....and there's you at the bottom of the list....A Laundry worker. I was upset by this as I believe people are different and I was compared to my sister at home and at school and no one ever saw that I was good at anything until I found my own way.....starting my business from scratch in U.K. all those years ago, sold up when I met my Cypriot husband and then loosing it all on a restaurant when I first came to Cyprus in 1991and starting from zero and less again, single handed, as making Curtains was a 'womens' job'. :? (my dad would be proud of me today.)I know my mam is.
Anyway to cut a long story short we have partitioned my shop and made a Laundry....how strange is that, my dad was right!
To change my job?....no I'm happy being creative each day and being my own boss, my sister, highly qualified, good money hates her job. So I have no regrets about what I'm doing it just took longer to get there.

Jill....rambling on again!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:46 pm 
Top of the pops

I always wanted to be a rock star.

You should see me on air guitar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:57 pm 
Idol

Hi.

Sorry forgot to add, this is boring. The day I left school I still didn't know what I wanted to do but was offered a job in the local nursery school working for Social Services looking after children from poor backgrounds. I went to Durham Tech for 3 days a week and got my NNEB. Got married at 21 worked from home looking after 3 children for SS. Divorced 2 years later, found a job in Fenwicks Newcastle in the Cosmetics department working for various companies, went on their training courses.
I was so bored every day I decided to do something with my life so I went to the local college to do a pattern cutting course for 4 years, City and Guilds, meanwhile making clothes in the evening for people to pay for a morgage and my little car. Times were hard......just as well I had my dads looks and was often invited out for 'free' meals :lol: God knows what they would think if they saw me these days, the stresses and strains of every day family/business life.....now I'm going to become a Laundry worker....what's my chance?

Jill.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:25 pm 
Star

I would loved to have become a midwife, I just love everything about the job, the mums, the babies everything, but never got there as I had a part time job at a Vets while still at school.
Left school on a Friday and started full time at the Vets on the Monday, and there I stayed for 26 years! I just loved the job!
I did do some 'midwifery' skills by helping with caesarians on animals, so really part of my dream came true :lol:

Good story Jill :clap you turned out brilliantly in the end :celebrate

Wendy. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 pm 
Junior

All the best things in life are worth waiting for. Never say never and you will get there.

Jo

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body