The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:50 pm 
Top of the pops

WHAT????
What kind of signal is this sending out eh?

So lawyers are above the law?
So now that a precedence has been set and this case is now 'Case Law' maybe we should try it and complain to the court of European Rights when we aren't pardoned!
How absolutely disgusting. :banghead :banghead

Tiggy

Helen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:53 pm 
Top of the pops

That is unbelievable!!! Let's face it, if it was you or me, would the Paphos Law(less) Society have tried for a pardon for us? I DON'T THINK SO! This sends the worst possible message to the lunatic drivers in Paphos - come on, if stopped for driving misdemeanors (?) which lawyer are they gonna ask for - yes, the unnamed lady lawyer - Emily Lemoniati - oh, sorry, nobody is supposed to know her name are they? That's another wrong - she should have been named and shamed over all the newspapers.

GRRRRR - it makes my blood boil - I am a decent law abiding citizen, who would expect to be punished if I did anything so wrong - but she just thinks she can carry on carrying on with absolute impunity. IT'S SO WRONG :rant

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:01 pm 
Top of the pops

My feelings entirely. I also feel like writing to the papers and venting my views.
I am totally disgusted. :evil:

Tiggy

Helen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:06 pm 
Regular

Below is the letter I have sent to the Cyprus Mail for their 'Readers Letters'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outrage as jailed lawyer pardoned

DEAR CYPRUS GOVERNMENT

With reference to the jailing of Emily Lemoniati for 30 days followed by the subsequent Presidential Pardon for her release.

Can you PLEASE explain to us ‘little’ people how we must conduct our lives in the future here in Cyprus?

Are you NOW telling us that we NO longer need a driving licence to prove we are ‘able’ to drive?

We NO longer need vehicle insurance in case there is an accident?

We NO need a valid M.O.T?

We NO longer need to pay for Road Tax?

THANK YOU ‘Mr President’ you just saved ALL of us ‘little’ people a lot of money!!!

I can assure you ‘Mr President’ that the next time I or my wife is stopped by the Police, for whatever offence; We will just say --- ‘It’s OK, I’m a LAWYER’ and drive away.

I look forward to reading of the counter claims in court due to the PATHETIC and RIDICULOUS decision YOU have made. Any defence LAWYER will now raise the case of ‘Emily’ in defence of their client…

Well-done ‘Mr President’ this is nearly as big a joke as the H2o pipeline.

Yours Sincerely

Stuart May
Paphos

(Ps; ALL Taxes Paid…)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:38 pm 

We are writing to our Lawyer to ask whether he was one of the Paphos Lawyer's who felt that his profession was above the law. Perhaps all of us should do the same. Their answers would be interesting reading!!!

Out of interest Clerides was also the one who decided that the 'alleged' perpetrator of the Sexual Abuse case here in Paphos, should be allowed unsupervised access to the victim (his daughter), resulting in the Mother now being fined €1000 for not forcing her daughter to visit the father.

A Mickey Mouse state this is certainly turning out to be.

Halcyonlady.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:18 pm 
Top of the pops

This has really got my blood to boiling point.

Can we 'see' the list of lawyers who lobbied for her release. I think there was a pettition, Then we BOYCOTT all those who did lobby for her release. AND why don't we petition the Government expressing our anger/despair etc and forward a copy to foreign press - especially where they have expats here.
We cannot just sit and do nothing - can we???

Tiggy

Helen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:13 pm 
Top of the pops

I'm outraged as well, but it doesn't surprise me one bit. The same as the Law Society here they only work for a selected few - she must be one of them. :toetap :evil: :evil: :evil:

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:46 pm 

As my daughter remarked 'How very Owellian - It just goes to show in Cyprus, some people are more equal than others'!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:56 pm 
Major

Did any of yous really think she was going to do her 30 days come on I think not :wink:

john

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:08 am 
Regular

Sorry for my ignorance but whats the story please. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:30 am 
Regular

It just a glaring example of how the legal proffession in Cyprus is allowed to operate. Its not bad enough, that know one trusts the lawyers here, conflicts of interests in all depts, property to name one. Try getting a lawyer to take you case up against a developer or another lawyer. And now we have it all, they dont just make their own rules up, the are above the law in all matters, where the ordinary person, would be taking thier punishment right now, be locked up for the 30 days...ask that Mr Connor if he has had justice, from his property to him being assaulted...bannana republic comes to mind........its supposed be a free democratic EC country, equal rights, the president had an open letter from Mr Conner, did he help him with his problems...does the president not know the message he is sending out....... :banghead ..............Richard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:33 pm 
Regular

Re' my letter to the Cy Mail, I had an email back from the editor:::

Dear Mr May,

Many thanks for your letter, which I plan to publish on Sunday. You will be disappointed to see that I have taken out the name of the lawyer. This is not because of any desire to protect her. I believe she needs to be named and shamed. However, other people clearly want to protect her and our correspondents in Paphos are facing a brick wall and worse in their attempts to secure formal confirmation that she was indeed the lawyer involved. We are now putting in a formal request for the court records, which are theoretically in the public domain, and as soon as we have confirmation we do intend to name her, just as we name other convicted criminals. Until we have that formal confirmation, however, you will understand that we cannot ‘out’ her merely on the basis of hearsay.

Best regards

Kosta Pavlowitch, editor, Cyprus Mail

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:15 pm 
Regular

Please can someone tell me what its all about.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:25 pm 
Top of the pops

PiP

Local female lawyer sent to prison for 30 days for persistant law breaking - driving while banned, no insurance, speeding, lots of other traffic thingys. Has no respect for the law at all - meanwhile, local Bar Society petition the government who release her after a few days! Hence people are up in arms - if it was you or me, would we have been let off? Probably not, but she was. Story in a nutshell.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:00 pm 
Forum Admin

well stuart
it seems that Paphos people are not affraid to tell eveyone that
the cypriot lawyer jailed for motoring offences
was Emily Lemoniati lawyer ... oh well :wink:

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:29 pm 
Top of the pops

Court records are public record.

Getting access to public records here is another matter,

She can be named. End of...

Tiggy

Helen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:50 pm 
Top of the pops

I heard that she was named in the Cypriot Language paper - anybody read Phileleftheros?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:05 pm 
Junior

I just think she should be stuck off, but that's not going to happen is it!!!!!!!

Kittencat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:10 am 
Top of the pops

Mockery of Cyprus law

The Rule of Law, in its most basic form, is the principle that no one is above the law.

So the decision by President Christofias to pardon a lawyer from Paphos found guilty of committing a series of serious traffic violations, has rightly unleashed almost universal ridicule and condemnation.

The lawyer had been sentenced to thirty days in jail for speeding and driving without a licence and valid insurance.

Even worse, it was revealed that it is not the first time she has been booked for traffic offences.

The term "rule of law" embodies the basic principles of equal treatment of all people before the law: fairness, and both constitutional and actual guarantees of basic human rights.

Yesterday’s decision leaves many questioning the credibility of these principles in Cyprus.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:14 am 
Top of the pops

‘Is this the fair and just society?’

PRESIDENT Demetris Christofias is failing to keep his pre-election promise of a “fair and just society” by granting a presidential pardon to a Paphos lawyer recently sentenced to a month’s imprisonment for a string of traffic convictions, DISY MP Nicos Tornaritis said yesterday.

The lawyer had been caught speeding while serving a driving ban, which meant she had no valid licence or insurance cover. She was jailed for 30 days last week by a Paphos district court judge.

A few days later, she received a pardon from President Christofias under recommendation from Attorney-general Petros Clerides, who said he had taken into account “two important humanitarian reasons that were put to him”. These “humanitarian reasons” were not revealed and when asked what they were Clerides told the Cyprus Mail: “I do not have to give the reasons behind my decision.”

Yesterday, deputies across the political spectrum sought to distance themselves from any suggestion that lawyers were above the law: “The law has to be applied to all equally, but some always find a window of escape,” said Tornaritis. “The sure thing is that President Christofias does not give out the message of the just and fair society that he was promising before the presidential elections.”

Green Party leader and MP George Perdikis said he opposed pardons in principle. “Without knowing all the details, I am against granting any form of clemency because no one is above the law,” he said.

DIKO deputy Antigone Papadopoulou agreed that, “as a matter of principle, all people are equal before the law,” adding that, “if it is judged that someone should be granted clemency, the reasons behind this form of pardon should be known so it does not upset the citizens because they have a right to know.”

“I am sure that if the President granted his pardon it is for important reasons,” Papadopoulou, whose party is in coalition with Christofias, added.

DISY deputy Eleni Theocharous was also unwilling to criticise Christofias in this case: “I will not judge President Christofias’ decision for pardoning the young lawyer, but I would like to point out that some people in society such as lawyers, MPs and doctors have to be an example of upholding the law and of proper social behaviour.”

Her sentiments were echoed bu Evroko deputy Rikkos Erotokritou, himself a lawyer: “I do not personally know the circumstances under which the pardon was granted or the reasons as to why it was suggested, but if it was granted under no significant grounds it is unjustifiable and no one can be above the law. Everyone should be equal before the law and since no explanations were given, each citizen has the right to believe that because of her profession [as lawyer] that makes her more equal to the law.”

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:14 pm 
Forum Admin

I was speaking to a friend today
who is in the legal business , they
informed me that Emily Lemoniati the cyprus lawyer,
was pardoned from jail after her very, very well off
boyfriend , made a very large donation to the football team
of the governing party ... and it was a very large donation :shock:

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:12 am 
Regular

I thought the lawyers name was to remain anon. Now I know her name, and I know she is one of the good people of Anarita. I also know to stay clear of a certain car that regularly drives through our village. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:05 pm 
Forum Admin

WHAT !! you mean she is still driving ?
that cant be right ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:47 pm 
Top of the pops

NOVELTY VEND wrote:
Re' my letter to the Cy Mail, I had an email back from the editor:::

Dear Mr May,

Many thanks for your letter, which I plan to publish on Sunday. You will be disappointed to see that I have taken out the name of the lawyer. This is not because of any desire to protect her. I believe she needs to be named and shamed. However, other people clearly want to protect her and our correspondents in Paphos are facing a brick wall and worse in their attempts to secure formal confirmation that she was indeed the lawyer involved. We are now putting in a formal request for the court records, which are theoretically in the public domain, and as soon as we have confirmation we do intend to name her, just as we name other convicted criminals. Until we have that formal confirmation, however, you will understand that we cannot ‘out’ her merely on the basis of hearsay.

Best regards

Kosta Pavlowitch, editor, Cyprus Mail

Did they ever 'out' her? Or was the whole thing conveniently forgotten?

Lesley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:58 am 
Forum Admin

I dont think they did :tickedoff

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body