Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:59 pm 
Junior

Well who would have thought it, Labour had a 13.000 majority in Glasgow East which has swung to a small majority for the SNP.
So what do you think, is it just people are totally fed up with the Scottish Labour party or is this a warning of the bigger picture?
Personally I have been keeping away from the Fort Shopping Centre which has been inundated by poiliticians including the one who claimed she has lived and worked all her life in the East End but in reality lives in a large villa on the south side - one of the posher bits of Glasgow!!
Kate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:10 am 
Top of the pops

If the politician scum who infest Parliament had an ounce of decency they would all commit suicide and clear the way for a real democratic system with the govt. applying the policies that the people of the UK want.

............as it is, the filth that line their own pockets at the taxpayers expense will keep on with the status quo - why should they upset the apple cart? its making them rich after all - why shouldn't all of them get a second home paid for by the tapxpayer and more expenses than they know what to do with - all they have to do is toe their particular parties line, comply with US "requests" (you know, like "nip over to Iraq, destabilise the entire region, and help secure US access to more oil"), and pop into the "office" on the odd occasion to vote themselves above inflation pay rises.

Gordon Brown is the most two-faced piece of sh*t ever to infest Downing Street, and he is at last getting his come-uppance - good riddance to him, may he rot in hell.

Chris

ps - you may have spotted the fact that I REALLY don't like him, and especially Labour since they banned a entire Olympic sport for the crimes of a madman.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:32 am 
Regular

I've got a message for Gordon Brown, Go Away :!: Maggie :banghead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:54 am 
Judge
Don't forget he's is only carrying on the policies of that other piece of doo doo Tony Blair. And now the sunday papers are all saying Jack Straw should be PM. He is the Minister of Justice. Wasn't there a Ministry of Justice in the novel 1984..a story of Big Brother is watching you...a story of a government that had all but extinguished any get up and go in the populace...a story of a government that was elected on lies and "spin"...a story of a government that taxed the populace to death and heaven help anyone who did not agree with their policies...a story of a government that has gagged the population with fears of reprisals if anyone dared to open their mouth?
But, of course, that was a piece of fictional writing and could never happen in real life could it ????????

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:04 pm 
We don't mind members voicing their thoughts & opinions about the government, but if you don't have anything constructive to post, please refrain from posting or we'll have no alternative but to remove the thread iaw T&C's ok :|

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:43 pm 
Top of the pops

The quality of the bulk of MPs has steadily declined throughout my lifetime(not my fault personally), to the extent that none of the cabinet have family members in the Armed forces (so just send someone elses kid to be blown up) and none of them have been involved in day to day work as a "normal" person. They are all career politicians. The last one who had a proper job was Mr Prescott when he was a steward at sea!!!

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:56 pm 
Top of the pops

Pete wrote:
We don't mind members voicing their thoughts & opinions about the government, but if you don't have anything constructive to post, please refrain from posting or we'll have no alternative but to remove the thread iaw T&C's ok :|

Have you deleted a post Pete?.......cos I'm struggling with your post otherwise..............I can only see peoples opinions posted here, some stronger than others, mine included.............I thought that was within the terms and conditions "Political or religious posts: We do not promote these sort of postings but will not hinder any member who wishes to post them, due to it being a fact of daily life. We will however remove any such postings if it starts to get out of hand or becomes necessary due to complaints from other members"

................or has someone complained?

chris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:40 pm 
Regular

I think its my post that has been changed that has caused a problem maybe, it originally said Buy One Get One Free off, now it says GO AWAY, and that goes for Blair as well, GB is struggling to fulfill or change what he decreed :!:
Maggie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:02 am 
Chris, I've not deleted any posts, PP currently allows members to post about Political & Religious issue which aren't allowed by other forums because we feel that people have a right to talk/write about them but only as long as they are constructive & informative because otherwise they get out of hand & it means we'd have to remove them :shock:

Maggie's post was automatically changed by our 'Word Censor' & personally I think writing what she did wasn't very constructive or informative, as no good can come of comments like that :|

I understand Maggie wanted to get that off her chest as by the sounds of it, Maggie doesn't like the Labour Government but all it's going to do is enrage other members who will start posting the same & turning this thread into a slanging match, which isn't what we want because we'd have to remove the thread/post :roll:

People who have a problem with the current Government should try to remember what life was like 12-20 years ago under the Tories before they were ousted, I remember it all too well & personally don't want to go back there :shock: because in another 8-10 years, you'll all be shouting 'Tories Out' or comments like that :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:55 am 
Web-Site Admin

I have no particularly strong feelings about any politicians if I'm honest - seems virtually impossible to tell them apart these days.

It does seems Brown has been unlucky to a certain extent in taking over at a time when the global economy looks to be heading for recession, but as he was largely responsible for fiscal policy he has to shoulder at least a share of the blame.

I don't see anyone I could say I would be happy to see take over though, in any of the parties - genuinely gifted individuals seem to gravitate towards private enterprise these days, where the potential rewards are far greater.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:58 am 
I think they should let the Lib Dems have a go, I mean after all, the Tories & Labour haven't done any better, so why not :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:38 pm 
Top of the pops

:greetings Morning Pete,

Think we have to remember it is "the floating voters" that get UK gov in to power.
The basically three system (in my lifetime) all have their "staunch supporters" and the voters "sort of at the top of the pile" who switch their allegiance get a :celebrate party majority.

At least with UK democracy no one gets :pow shot for a change of power!!! (Yet!!)

When I was in the service's (22 years) we all ways got a better pay rise with the conservatives in power, though never thought it was enough!! (Though I didn't vote, we signed our allegiance to the Queen) but we still had the opportunity to vote!!

When I came out and started my own business (25Years) and became an unpaid "tax collector" for the government Via VAT and gross earnings tax I started to think all "public servants" got too much. :banghead

Though I do appreciate my "index linked pensions" :clapping

My private pensions are steadily being eroded with inflation :huff :there

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:42 pm 
Have the 'Lib Dems' ever been in power :? If not, how can we know what they'd be like :wink: :lol:

They may actually be better than the Tories & Labout put together, who knows :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:29 pm 
Top of the pops

The LibDems have not "per se" ever been in power - as a party they never existed until the merger of the Liberal Party and the Social Democrats led by the famous "Gang of Four".

However, the Liberal Party has been in power, and until the early part of the 20th Century when the Labour Party was created (from a cow pat), the two parties who regularly swapped power were the Whigs (later the Tories) and the Liberals. The Liberals were effectively undone by the First World War when the returning soldiers expected a darn sight more from life in Britain than a polite thankyou from the ruling classes..............anyway, enough of the history lesson...............

I too am fed up with the constant change from one party to the other because we all know that in a few years it will swing back the other way..............and I am sick and tired of seeing the same snouts in the trough, albeit with a different label each time...............No, there has to be a better way.

In the first place, the UK is NOT a democracy...........it is officially a Parliamentary Democracy, except we all know that the govt. of the day is pretty much guaranteed to get what ever it wants onto the statute books, so I really do question whether or not it is a democracy by any sense of the word.

The UK needs to do a number of things:-

1. Making voting a legal obligation
2. Require all MP's to hold referendums in their constituencies on matters of national importance, and require them to vote according to the results of that referendum and NOT the way their party tells them to.
3. Make all Manifesto promises legally binding so that farces like ratification of the Lisbon Treaty would not have happened and would have required a referendum to be held as promised by Labour in its manifesto.
4. Make all Political Parties financially dependent on the state and ban private donations.

I am sure given further consideration we could all come up with a whole raft of things that would change the way the system works; these are just my initial thoughts given a few minutes contemplation.............so what else could be done?

chris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:52 pm 
Top of the pops

Judge wrote:
The LibDems have not "per se" ever been in power - as a party they never existed until the merger of the Liberal Party and the Social Democrats led by the famous "Gang of Four".

However, the Liberal Party has been in power, and until the early part of the 20th Century when the Labour Party was created (from a cow pat), the two parties who regularly swapped power were the Whigs (later the Tories) and the Liberals. The Liberals were effectively undone by the First World War when the returning soldiers expected a darn sight more from life in Britain than a polite thankyou from the ruling classes..............anyway, enough of the history lesson...............

I too am fed up with the constant change from one party to the other because we all know that in a few years it will swing back the other way..............and I am sick and tired of seeing the same snouts in the trough, albeit with a different label each time...............No, there has to be a better way.

In the first place, the UK is NOT a democracy...........it is officially a Parliamentary Democracy, except we all know that the govt. of the day is pretty much guaranteed to get what ever it wants onto the statute books, so I really do question whether or not it is a democracy by any sense of the word.

The UK needs to do a number of things:-

1. Making voting a legal obligation
2. Require all MP's to hold referendums in their constituencies on matters of national importance, and require them to vote according to the results of that referendum and NOT the way their party tells them to.
3. Make all Manifesto promises legally binding so that farces like ratification of the Lisbon Treaty would not have happened and would have required a referendum to be held as promised by Labour in its manifesto.
4. Make all Political Parties financially dependent on the state and ban private donations.

I am sure given further consideration we could all come up with a whole raft of things that would change the way the system works; these are just my initial thoughts given a few minutes contemplation.............so what else could be done?

chris

:congrats :goodpost Now we are ex-pats over here, do you think next generation will ever arrive with a "better system"? :there

Can't do with them, can't do without them situation, eh? :manic

In my air force days we had OLD pilots and BOLD pilots. :celebrate
But no OLD BOLD pilots.!!! :doh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:16 pm 
Junior

Hi Chris,
One thing that should certainly be done is to get MP's financial greed under some sort of control. Thanks to the Taxpayers Alliance we are now being given the figures that show the extent of their claims. What other job provides you with a new kitchen like Tony Blair, and the others with their snouts in the trough.
People here are really disgusted with the out and out greed , you can hear it being discussed in supermarkets, buses etc .

When I worked in the NHS, we had to account for every penny claimed in expenses, to the extent that you wouldn't be refunded if you had taken a taxi where a bus would have done, and most employers whether private or public are the same.

Kate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:28 am 
Regular

As an old sod who has watched governments come and go over the years the only significant change i have ever witnessed was when Margret Thatcher got in power.Labour,tories,lib dems will any of them make REAL change like she did.Its someone with b#*+s we need of any party who can make REAL change.Alas that won't happen,the British bull dog is now to old and toothless.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:50 am 
These comments seems really one sided, is that because people are fed-up with the Labour Government or is that you're all Tories :?

I don't see much coming in favour of Labour, maybe in another 12 years time, it will be the other way round, everyone saying the Tories shouldn't be in ppower again, it's as Judge said, a merry go-round, you have a government in power & because they don't do what everyone wants, they need to be removed until the next government gets to the same stage & needs to be removed also :roll: :roll:

Yes things have to change & no I don't think it will happen in our lifetime, I also don't think another Iron Lady as in Thatcher will make any difference these days, it's got to change from the bottom up, starting with the way we raise our kids & what they chose to do with their lives will make a big difference for the future :shock:

Todays kids have no respect for the law, if that changes, it will have a domino effect on everything else, we as parents need to install discipline & respect into our children, who in turn will respect others etc :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:28 am 
Top of the pops

To be honest Pete, I think thats a Sea Change that is beyond the UK if you leave it to grass roots level parenting.

I for one would examine the role of schools and the level of discipline they can impose, and also require all parents to attend the schools and thrash out a co-operation framework that they will agree to abide by so that kids are hit from all angles - and that would include the police as well, so that everyone provided a consistent message to the little darlings. Its also appropriate to introduce Parenting classes so that they little darlings can experience to true delights of bringing up babies and to stop seeing them as Benefit Aids or Designer Products.

I would also introduce a form of National Service, be it military or within the community, but two years work in a team helping others (NHS/Old Peoples Homes/Community Work etc, or three years in the military).

chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:00 am 
:goodpost I agree :congrats

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body