The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Petrol
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:54 am 
Graduate

Have they dropped the price here yet? dropped 4p in UK as the oil price is reducing apparantly.

Post subject: Re: Petrol
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:30 am 
Not a chance they'll drop it here, no matter how much the price of oil drops, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't put it up again instead :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:26 am 
Rock Star

Pete wrote:
Not a chance they'll drop it here, no matter how much the price of oil drops, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't put it up again instead :roll:

Pete,

Dont be so negative :lol:

Negative. In the years I have been here petrol has gone up and down and I hear toady on LINtv today the petrol is due to drop soon by a couple of cents a litre.

I also wanted to ask you a question about you floating lounger. Is there a weight/height restriction on them?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:34 am 
There's a weight limit of 250lbs/18-19st but I have a friend who's had 1 for around 7 years & he was 24st, so to be honest, I've no idea what the limit really is, I just know its gurantee'd for upto 250lbs :D

And back on topic, when I was stationed here in 2001, petrol use to be 36 cents a litre, I use to fill my car for Cyp£15, now it costs me around €65 every fortnight, thats €130 a month, that €1560 a year :shock: :shock:

Dropping it a few cents will help but not by a lot, they need to drop it to €1 a litre before I'll be positive about it :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:56 am 
Rock Star

Pete wrote:
There's a weight limit of 250lbs/18-19st but I have a friend who's had 1 for around 7 years & he was 24st, so to be honest, I've no idea what the limit really is, I just know its gurantee'd for upto 250lbs :D

And back on topic, when I was stationed here in 2001, petrol use to be 36 cents a litre, I use to fill my car for Cyp£15, now it costs me around €65 every fortnight, thats €130 a month, that €1560 a year :shock: :shock:

Dropping it a few cents will help but not by a lot, they need to drop it to €1 a litre before I'll be positive about it :lol:

:bounce I they drop it by €1 a litre i will buy two of your floating chair things :celebrate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:00 am 
Not drop it by a €1, tho that would be nice, I said drop it to a €1 per litre :wink: :lol: :lol:

As it is, I've dropped all my prices of my floats, so best get them while you can, as I won't have them for long, not the way people are buying them lately :o :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:59 pm 
Master

copied from the daily mail today:

MOTORISTS finally had some good news yesterday as two of the biggest petrol companies on the island announced price cuts.

EKO announced that diesel will be 2.5 cents a litre cheaper, while unleaded 95 and 98 octane has been lowered by 2.4 cents.

Petrolina is cutting unleaded 95 by 2.2 cents a litre and will also reduce the price of diesel from Monday, when the company is expecting its next deliveries.

Other companies are expected to follow suit.

Three days ago, Petrolina Director Akis Lefkaritis explained that petrol companies’ next deliveries are expected to be significantly cheaper. “This is why we can cut our prices immediately,” he said.

He added that prices on the island are monitored by the Commerce Ministry and denied that petrol companies were operating unchecked.

The price reduction can be attributed to the fact that the price of oil has come down on the international markets.

Yesterday, Crude prices drifted lower to $124.28 a barrel, more than $22 below the all-time high hit just two weeks ago.

A US government report showed a large build-up in oil supplies, reinforcing concerns that energy demand is deteriorating under the weight of an economic slowdown and high prices.

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2008

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:06 pm 
So oil drops $22 a barrel & we get a measly 2.5 cents off a litre, what a bunch of robbing dogs :o :x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:17 pm 
Master

that just about sums it up, robbing Barstewards :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:56 pm 
Graduate

better than nothing thou, heard in the UK its only for 2 weeks then they putting the price back up again! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:01 pm 
Top of the pops

Pete wrote:
The price dropped yesterday and in Cyprus follows the market much more closely than it ever did in the UK.
Quote:
So oil drops $22 a barrel & we get a measly 2.5 cents off a litre, what a bunch of robbing dogs
There are 159 litres of oil in a barrel so that's a reduction of approximately 8 euro cents a litre - and then you have to add on the cost of converting crude to petrol and shipping it from the oil field to the petrol pump. What sort of reduction did you expect?
FWIW at todays crude oil price ($123) oil costs .40 euro cents a litre. The bulk of the pump price is primarily tax.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:23 am 
Regular

I noticed on my way home last night that it had gone down by 2 cents a litre, well thats a start I suppose :!: Maggie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:17 pm 
Junior

KG wrote:
Pete wrote:
The price dropped yesterday and in Cyprus follows the market much more closely than it ever did in the UK.
Quote:
So oil drops $22 a barrel & we get a measly 2.5 cents off a litre, what a bunch of robbing dogs
There are 159 litres of oil in a barrel so that's a reduction of approximately 8 euro cents a litre - and then you have to add on the cost of converting crude to petrol and shipping it from the oil field to the petrol pump. What sort of reduction did you expect?
FWIW at todays crude oil price ($123) oil costs .40 euro cents a litre. The bulk of the pump price is primarily tax.

the maths dont work for me kg :roll:
if the cost of crude goes up 20% we pay 20% more for the fuel if it goes down 15%-17% we pay 2% less someone is really taking the @&ss
:tickedoff :banghead :huff :doh :manic
paul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:49 am 
Top of the pops

Sammia, lets not colour all barstewards the same. There are robbers and then there are the governmental and institutional ones. Private ones will respond and drive and economy, the latter will bleed it dry.

Pete, think yourself lucky about your fuel bill, mine was £7500 for diesel and that was for only 9 months work!! (Hence one of many reasons we are coming over-lifestyle change).

In relation to the price of refining crude to a product, the cost is generally seen as a fixed element per Gallon, with the only variables being the cost to purchase crude and the taxation at the sales point (whereever that may be). So an increase in crude prices should in principal much more closely shaow the cost of crude, however successive goverments have introduced fixed levels of taxation rather than percentages (for certainty of income) therefore that is not now always the case. Oil companies have also learned to create artificial supply and demand situations keeping prices artificially high whenever possible, so buying storage capacity in far off places, floating destinations and other resources, ensuring that even in an oversupply situation, the importation of supply to the UK (and others) is not excessive and drive prices through the ground.

Also governments are happy to turn a blind eye to that situation, as it keeps revenue high, and is a great way to control population...

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:14 am 
Tanny,

I think you'll find its actually the Cyprus Government who've told the fuel companies to drop their prices this time, as they weren't going to bother as its a free for all over here, not the same as in the UK but the Cy Gov have stepped in & told them to lower the prices :shock:

It was mentioned before that the CY Gov were going to start controlling the price of fuel over here as its risen so much in so short a time, they got loads of complaints & wanted to sort it out :roll: lets hope they do & it drops even further :wink: :D

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body