Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Miserable Bar Stewards
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:08 am 
Top of the pops

Pafos Waterpark - no discount for residents this season!!! :evil:

Typical Cypriot reaction - taking less money............put up the prices!!!

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:11 am 
Graduate

TBH i have only heard of Fassouri park giving discounts to residents, not the Paphos one, could be wrong of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:51 am 
Top of the pops

Chris I understand what you are saying, but they do have running cost to consider. It can't be cheap to run the water park, and it only busy for a few months of the year so they need to make as much as they can. How disappointed would you and others be if they closed down?. Myself i can't blame them for not giving a discount.

JUST MY THOUGHTS :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:17 am 
Star

I agree with them trying to make a living etc, but I did get in touch with the Pafos one and asked if I would have to pay even though I would not use the water at all (dont do water :cry: ) but only be sat there while my daughter uses the water park, and was told, 'yes you have to pay, even if you just sunbathe'.... :x I would not pay €28 just for the privelidge of sitting on a sunbed :tickedoff
They could give discount to parents who would not be using the pools, then I would take her.
Not stopped my daughter going with her pals and their families though, she loves it!
Wendy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:33 am 
Top of the pops

Wendy you are right you should get a discount, if you not useing the pool ? But who would know if you did use the pool, as i am sure some people would just say this to get in cheaper, then use the pool :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:02 am 
We got a discount at Fassuori by showing a utility bill but I'm not sure they did that at Paphos last year either :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:45 am 
Top of the pops

But why should the tourists (non residents) pay more than residents ? Both are using the same equipment? Buying somesort of season ticket should be the way forward not pricing on whether you live here or don't. Imagine going to a restaurant whilst away on holiday and seeing that if you can prove you are a resident you get a discount off the bill ..... sames meal, same service, same drinks but more expensive because you are on holiday.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:15 pm 
Rock Star

We live in Bath and we do get discounts from some of the "attractions" in town because we are residents, including the Roman Baths and the new Bath Spa, we do have to present a utility bill at the time of booking. Of course the attractions are part funded by the council so an element of community charge is used.

Hudswell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:38 pm 
I think residents should get discounts, as we're paying rates for living here so why shouldn't we get something in return :? :D

I give PP member a discount when buying things from my shop, so why shouldn't I get a discount if I visit the water park or go-kart track & can prove I live here :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:35 pm 
Graduate

I agree if we live here then we should be encouraged to use the facilities here, a discount works for me!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:41 pm 
Idol

In previous years Paps have given out vouchers( if you spent £20) that would allow a 50% reduction to the entry fee at the Water Park. Not sure if the offer is still on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:12 pm 
Top of the pops

im all for a club/site membership or loyalty discount/bonus scheme but just giving discounts on a place of residency - that isn't fair for me. If the discount was given on religion, hair colour, shoe size or nationality there would be surely uproar, so why does residency make it ok ?

If this waterpark is worth (example) €30 entry and residents pay this discounted rate, why should a tourist pay (example) €35 - money is money so why is the resident able to pay less for the same thing. Using the logic of we live here so should be encouraged to use the facilities would suggest that by not having an even price for all that tourists are not being encouraged .

As i said before why should the tourist pay more ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:26 pm 
Because they're tourist :roll:

If you go back the the UK, do you get anything discounted, NO :!: but as Hudswell said, he gets a discount in Bath for certain attractions & my brother who use to live in the village of Alton, use to get 8 free tickets to Alton towers every year, so why shouldn't we as residents get something for paying into the system :?

Feel free the next time you go somewhere Geoff to say 'No thanks, I'm a resident but I don't want a discount' I'm sure they'll be quite happy to oblige :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:51 pm 
Top of the pops

Pete wrote:
I think residents should get discounts, as we're paying rates for living here so why shouldn't we get something in return :?
You pay (very low) local taxes for a limited number of local services. Long may that remain the case. The Waterpark appears to be a private business. I don't know about you, but I would be rather annoyed if my local taxes were used (or worse still raised) to prop up private businesses.

I agree with Big Dutch and don't see any reason why there should be a two tier pricing structure for tourists and residents. Surely there are enough complaints of the 'ripped off tourist' variety without encouraging more of the same?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:02 pm 
Well KG, as you know you're quite entitled to your opinions & I've nothing against them but I think if we did a poll on whether residents should get a discount for water parks, I think you'd find that most residents would be quite happy to accept a discount, especially in todays climate with the cost of everything else going up, don't you think :D

Just a quick question, how many times have you been to the water parks around Cyprus, I don't mean just the Paphos one, I mean the others, as for me, Paphos is the closest but it way smaller, more expensive & doesn't have as many rides as the others across the island, so maybe this is why they do give residents a discount :shock:

I know for a fact, that the 'Fassouri Water Mania Park' use to only charged service men/women from Akrotiri Cyp£8 for each visit, that's even cheaper than residents, might have changed or gone up since 2001 but I use to go there nearly every weekend on that price, do you also think that shouldn't happen :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:16 pm 
Top of the pops

If you ask residents whether they would prefer to pay less for facilities, then the answer inevitably will be yes. If you ask tourists whether they are happy to see residents paying less, then the answer would be rather different. If you want to try a poll then ask the question:

Is it acceptable or fair that residents should get a discount on services provided primarily for tourists simply because they live here?

Put me down as a no!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:22 pm 
I might just do that but then we will only get a small percentage of what the real residents would say because not ever resident in Paphos reads our forum, more's the pity :lol:

As for me, I'd defo take any discount given to me, as it's not very often you get anything given to you these days but if you're that well off you don't need to accept discounts, please feel free to pass them my way anytime :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:28 pm 
Top of the pops

Well, just got back from the waterpark - no option of deciding against going because it was for our grandaughters benefit.

Cost for 2 adults and 2 children (6 & 4) 86 Euro - no family ticket option, or in fact no option but to pay per person.

Of course tourists can get a bus ride to the waterpark and get their bus ticket price refunded, so free travel for them.........as a resident I don't get that option as I don't live on a bus route, so its cost me more effectively..............so why is that fair based on the arguments put forward for not getting a residents discount?

I dislike the system in the park of not paying till you leave - too easy to rack up a large bill without realising..............lockers were 5 euro (!) - 3 small cheeseburgers, 1 Ham, cheese, cucumber and tomato roll, 1 small orange, 2 small cokes, 1 large coke, 2 x fries - 34 Euro - a 60cl beer was 3-50 Euro (!!!!!!!!!)

I thought the place looked tired myself.................guess what, the place wasn't heaving - I wonder why?? :roll:

Having said all that, my grandaughters and wife thoroughly enjoyed themselves and loved every minute of it.................of course come xmas I'll be saying "Bah Humbug" with the best of them :lol:

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:00 pm 
Junior

My family love the water park in Paphos and due to the cost we haven't been this year. :(
I think it is a good day out but I have back problems so can't go on anything except lazy river and may be in the pool.
I think they should issue a cheaper ticket for people like me and many others like me who spend their time on lazy river and pool and don't go on any rides.
They issue a cheaper ticket for a child under 12 so they are stopped going on rides for the older children so why can't they issue a ticket for a mum who wants to do the lazy river and nothing else except watch her children and husband have fun.
We will be going once this summer but I do get cross for having to pay full price and lay on a sun bed and maybe go on the lazy river. I don't mind wearing a different coloured wrist band :)
Sarah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:06 am 
Top of the pops

My main reason for thinking that residents should have a discount is that the wages here are only a fraction of the UK and to me that warrants cheaper facilities. I dont do water parks or anything like that, but that might change if the grand daughter ever comes to Cyprus or any future grand children.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:39 am 
Graduate

As we live here we have the option of going to use these facilities far more often than the tourists who come once or maybe twice a year, if there was a reduced price for the residences we would/could use them far more often, ive never been to the waterpark because of the cost involved, i like the bird park and go every year, i would go 2 or 3 times even more if the price was reduced, but can only go once due to the cost involved.
I go to a certain shop every year to buy my shoes (same ones - i like them) the owner knows me know and always knocks off a couple of euro as he knows i will be back - whats the harm?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:16 pm 
Web-Site Admin

paphosgirl wrote:
As we live here we have the option of going to use these facilities far more often than the tourists who come once or maybe twice a year, if there was a reduced price for the residences we would/could use them far more often

I think that's the key point - recognition by the business owner that offering a reduced price to someone who lives locally is likely to result in increased visits, so therefore higher overall income.

It's the same reason the savvy local taverna owner will chuck you in a few freebies once he realises he's going to see you once every couple of weeks rather than a couple of times a year - there's nothing especially altruistic in the gesture, just decent business sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:40 pm 
Top of the pops

For sure giving incentives to regulars or to encourage new customers is good business sense but i just find the black and white "branding" of residents vs tourists with published (is/was it?) seperate pricing as being plainly unfair and basically doodoo approach to tourism !!

A restaurant that had marked its menu with two columns "resident / tourist" would not, im sure, get away with it, however the restaurant that knocks something off the bill or gives freebies to regulars can get away with giving a discounted overall experience. This is just because of the method in which its done and primarily because the people paying more will not know that others have paid less !! The end result is the same, i guess, but its how its carried out that matters - splitting hairs :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:17 am 

the phuket chinese restaurant are giving discount vouchers for pafos waterpark, 8 euros discount for adult and 5 euros for child,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:26 am 
Top of the pops

hmmm............does that mean you have to actually eat something there? :shock:

(UGH)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:31 am 
None of the waterparks in Cyprus advertise different rates for tourist & residents, its just a case of just asking & providing proof that you live here is what gets the discount :o

As you said Geoff, no one would get away with showing a menu with 2 different rates on it but if you pay with say a Alpha Bank Card, they take it your a resident & give you a discount or if you regularly go to the same place, then they will recognise you & maybe ask if you're a resident, they did with us at Fat Mama's & Chloe's2, not that we go to Fat Mama's that often these days, but we enjoy our chinese every other week :D :D

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body