The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOT CROSS BUNS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:35 am 
Top of the pops

Easter - or at least the Orthodox one - is fast approaching.

Around this time each year my Cyprus family implore me to get the mixing bowl out and make dozens of Hot Cross Buns. I compiled the recipe below using ingredients and techniques culled from a number of Hot Cross Bun recipes. I tweaked and tested the recipe a number of times until I felt I had got as close as possible to Hot Cross Bun perfection. People who’ve tried them say they are the best they’ve ever tasted; and far nicer than any shop-bought variety. Many retail offerings in Cyprus are frankly revolting.

FABULOUSLY FRUITY & SUPER SPICY HOT CROSS BUNS

Some notes about the ingredients:

• Ground Mixed Spices is an important ingredient. And while some brands of Mixed Spices contain just three basic constituents: cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice; better brands such as John Per also contain cloves, ginger, cardamom, cumin, coriander and asteroid anise.

• Waitrose Italian Cut Mixed Peel (available from Papantoniou and Alfa Mega) is IMO about the best. And Harmony brand sultanas (also available from Paps) gives the plumpest and juiciest fruit.

• For the glaze, many recipes suggest a mix of caster sugar, glycerine and water. Others recommend syrup or apricot jam. I prefer honey for a nicer, more natural taste.

Amounts below will give twelve/sixteen buns, depending on preferred bun size. Takes 45 mins prep + 60-90 mins proving (rising) + 15-18 mins to cook.

Ingredients

Dough
500 gms (18 ozs) Strong White Bread (or Plain) Flour
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Mixed Spices
55 gms (2 ozs) Light Brown Sugar (or Dark, or Muscovado)
60 gms (2.2 ozs) Butter (salted OK) softened or chopped up into small pieces
200 gms (7.2 ozs) Sultanas
100 gms (3.6 ozs) Mixed Peel
2 ½ tsp (2 x 7gm sachets) Fast-action or Easy-blend Yeast
1 Egg (Large) beaten
260 ml Milk, warm – not hot

Crosses
40 gms (1.8 ozs) Plain or S/R Flour
2.5 tsp Caster Sugar
Milk (use only as much as is required to convert the above ingredients to a thick paste)

Glaze
Honey (heated in a microwave for 15 seconds to make it runny)

Method

Tip the flour into a mixing bowl and stir in the salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, mixed spice and sugar. Mix thoroughly. Then rub in the butter with your fingertips (or use an electric mixer). Stir in the sultanas and mixed peel. Finally, sprinkle yeast all over the surface and set to one side.

Gently heat the milk in a medium-sized pan until it is warm - not hot. Beat the egg into the milk using a fork, then add to the dry ingredients in the bowl. Using a blunt knife, or a dough paddle in an electric mixer, mix the ingredients to a moist, sticky dough, then leave to soak for 5 minutes. If the dough is too wet, add more flour; if it is too dry, add a little more milk. While waiting, line a baking tray with baking paper, or grease it with butter and dust with flour.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a clean, lightly-floured surface. Pre-warm a large bowl in the microwave. Knead the dough vigorously for 5 or 6 minutes so until it is elastic and springs back when pressed. Throughout this process you will need to keep flouring the surface and your hands to prevent the dough sticking. When ready, roll the dough into a ball, place in the pre-warmed bowl, cover the bowl with clingfilm, and leave in a warm place (a warm airing cupboard, or outside in warm Cyprus sunshine) until the dough increases in size by around 100%. This will take around 60 minutes, depending on the ambient temperature.

When fully expanded, remove the dough from the bowl and place back on the lightly-floured surface. Gently knead for 2 mins. Now roll the dough into a long, even, sausage shape, patting the ends to form a uniform cylindrical appearance. Cut the dough into quarters, then divide each quarter into three or four equal pieces. Gently roll each piece of dough into a ball and place the balls close together, but not touching, on the lined (or greased), baking tray. Cover the balls with a clean tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (takes 30-40 minutes). At the appropriate time, pre-heat the oven to 200C non-fan setting.

Crosses

Now to add the crosses. Mix the flour and sugar with just enough milk to give a smooth paste – not too thick and not too runny. Spoon the paste into a piping bag or cylinder and when the buns have risen, pipe a white cross onto each bun. You can use a plastic food bag with a corner snipped off instead of a piping bag/cylinder. However, I’ve used both, and a piping cylinder with 2mm nozzle is much easier to use.

Place buns on the BOTTON shelf of the oven, pre-heated to 200C non-fan setting and bake for about 15-18 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Take care not to over-cook, particularly if you’ve made smaller buns, otherwise the buns will end up dry. When cooked, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack. Place aluminium foil under the wire rack, then brush the buns all over with honey which has been warmed in a microwave for 15 secs to glaze. This is best done while the buns are oven-hot. Allow to cool.

Then all you have to do is enjoy!

The buns will keep fresh for a day or two in an airtight container. After that they are best served warm and spread with butter.

Apologies, the photos below have come out in reverse order. Click on each to magnify.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: HOT CROSS BUNS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:18 am 
Top of the pops

Looks tasty and they have a cross on them.

Am trying to reduce the sugar these days so may reduce it in the recipe

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:55 am 
Graduate

They look good and so many of them.
But I wouldn't dare say that they look better than my wife's delicious offerings. but if you should have some left over................

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:14 pm 
Top of the pops

STORYTELLER wrote:
They look good and so many of them. But I wouldn't dare say that they look better than my wife's delicious offerings. but if you should have some left over................

You should do the gentlemanly thing this year and offer to make some Hot X Buns for your wife.

Allow her to taste them and then utter the magic words "Actually, these taste better than the ones I have always made. What do you think, dear?"

You have plenty of time between now and then to come up with the most appropriate - and safest - answer ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:19 pm 
Top of the pops

tanny wrote:
Looks tasty and they have a cross on them.

Am trying to reduce the sugar these days so may reduce it in the recipe

I have it on the very highest authority that because these buns come marked with religeous symbology, any sugar and honey used therein contain almost no calories. At all. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:37 pm 
Rock Star

I love hot cross buns , but i am on a diet , so weccan rule out the homemade ones.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:55 am 
Top of the pops

And there was me thinking the purpose of Fasting was to eat fastly so no-one saw!!!!

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:33 pm 
Rock Star

Oh, i thought it meant you borrowed the food , it was Lent to you ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:10 pm 
Top of the pops

While on the topic, perhaps we should turn to Easter Eggs. As if I were a small child, my wife still presents me with a number of eggs on Easter Sunday. Fortunately she does not like milk chocolate, so I am not obliged to share :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:01 pm 
Graduate

The words chocolate and share should never appear in the same sentence.
Easter is still a long time away, I might not be able to resist sampling or even devouring completely a Cadbury's temptation which are blatantly displayed on the shelves of supermarkets everywhere. Ah bliss!!!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body