The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ULEZ in Cyprus or not
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:19 am 
Rock Star

I have lived in Cyprus over 20 years and not driven in London since 2001, i missed just by months having to pay the first money collection scheme , forget the name .
Just been reading about Ulez since Yakflier mentioned it , obviously things have moved on i suppose they need to have a multi faceted policy to remove ice cars and bring in evs .

I am not anti ev , but it is a young product supported by a young and patchy infrastructure and is expensive all which makes it in my opinion not a very viable product yet especially when there are cheaper and superior products on the market !
Ultra low emmision, i guess they mean anything 5 years old or younger, so this is fine for those that can afford to squander 30 to 50 grand on a car and lets face it , it is just a car , nothing more. So what happens to those who cant afford a new car, walk ? over priced public transport ? One of those electric scooters we all love so much ?
Ulez in cyprus , i dont see it happening ! You go to a Cypriot with a Mitsubishi twin cab and tell him to scrap it and replace it with some dumb arm-pit cyber truck ! RIOTS are what i see, government over turned . No i dont see it happening
PS i did not write arm pit, and the word i used was replaced , i am very happy with the replacement word as it still conveys my feelings !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:54 am 
Top of the pops

Agree with you Mouse. Despite all the hype and the greenwashing drive by some governments, neither the world, nor the vehicles themselves, are anywhere near ready for mass ev introduction.

Other than countries like Norway (which has so much water-generated electricity it doesn't know what to do with it) most other countries do not have the charging infrastructure in place, nor the reserves of generational capacity, to see them through winter peak demand... or even emergencies. Through lack of foresight and planning, the UK has barely enough electricity to meet conventional demand, without another 30 million evs appearing on the roads overnight.

Oil can be stored. Electricity can't be. Many governments require oil companies to keep 3 months supplies of oil in permanent storage, to see the country through emergencies and crises. You can't do that with electricity.

Now, assume that in time governments force motorists to adopt evs and discard ICE vehicles. One day, Russia, or some other bad actor, decides to take out a nations power generational capacity. What then? At a stroke, complete and utter paralysis of all commercial and personal transport.

More than once, parts of the USA and Canada have had their electricity wiped out for a day or more by sunspot activity and other outages. What then if you only have an ev?

To show its supposed green credentials, one local authority in the UK wants to replace all it's ICE ambulances with electric. Great idea... except, as the ambulance drivers point out, electric ambulances will then only have a range of 70 miles after which they will require 4 hours to recharge. But such is the stupididity of governments and local authorities that I expect this conversion to go ahead.

I have driven evs and they are nice to drive. Our son has a Tesla. Would I willingly relinquish our diesel car and adopt electric? Absolutely not!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:00 pm 
Rock Star

My biggest concern for evs is the charging infrastructure, advertising is try to make them sound good by offering ridiculously fast charging times . So lets do the numbers .
Some sources say 40 kw is average battery size , i would have thought bigger , but lets go with 40kw. Charging is not 100% efficient, trickle charging typically is more efficent than fast charging, so let us assume they have made leaps forward and fast charging is 80 % , charger gets hot ! Batteries get hot ! All lost power. There are all sorts if claims about charging in 10 minutes ! Well lets come back to earth and say your ultra fast charger will give you a full charge in 30 minutes . So 40 kw ÷8×10 = 50kw needs to be put into the battery in 30 mins. therefore 100kwh . If you have a newish big house in Cyprus you can expect 60amp 3 phase supply although more likely a 40amp 3ph supply. So roughly 60 x 220 x3 = 39600watts , say 40 kw . So basiclly if you max out the house supply you can charge in 2.5 hours, theoretically! So lets look at the older more modest house , asumming they make single phase chargers
you can put in a 45 amp spur to run your charger so flat out that can supply 45 x 220 = 9900w , 10kw so a theoretical 5 hr charge . Now multiply this by a 200thousand cars!
Can the cyprus national grid take this load , i think not , can the power stations cope ? Hmmm unlikely . So whilst you can basically pick holes in my figures bascally cyprus doesnt have the power to go full ev and will not in 2030, 2035 time frame either and a would also suspect there are other eu countries in the same boat .
So car owner ship must be reduced and average battery size can easily be halved simply by halving the size of the cars .
So cull the humans , have 15minute city so you can use a bicycle , make car ownership so expensive only a few can afford , ,,,,,,,,,oh look ! Its starting to happen .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:45 pm 
Top of the pops

Couldn't agree more Mouse. And when you think it was "Boris" who came up with the original idea that no more ICE cars should be sold after 2030, that just about says it all. The guy who f****d up the country with Brexit, then disappeared off into the sunset with his newly-acquired €4.5 million mansion and not a thought or care about all the Brexit-related chaos he left behind. And many unanswered questions about colossal overspends on Covid, to say nothing about the goings-on in Downing St. Do you suppose for a moment he has thought things through? Did Boris ever think anything through?

I've been saying for years, this ev thing has just not been thought through. But then, when did governments and local authorities ever think things through? Just look at all the chaotic LTNs springing up in London, Oxford... and elsewhere.

I'm fortunate. If ever I were forced to acquire an ev, I have plenty of room in my driveway to charge an ev. I have a 3-phase supply. But what about all the poor sods in the UK who live in 15 storey high apartment blocks? What about peeps who live in narrow streets in inner city areas, where guaranteed parking is unavailable. How do these folks charge up their evs?

And that's to say nothing about the manufacturers' lies on battery range, which have surfaced in the past week. And if they lied about that, they probably also lied about the longevity of the battery within the car.

And for those who can't afford a new ev, would you be stupid enough to buy a 6 or 8 year old car, where you might be faced with an imminent €12k-€15k cost of a replacement battery? And if peeps won't risk buying a 6 or 8 year old ev, how do you envisage selling your ev when it is 6 to 8 years old? Who would be foolish enough to buy it?

A number of Times journalists have written articles in recent months, explaining how after jumping on the ev bandwagon early on, they have now sold their ev and gone back to a conventional car.

Be an ev 'early adopter' at your risk. I for sure won't be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:03 am 
Top of the pops

People in Canada are telling their high tax, net-zero politicians where they can get-off.

Justin Trudeau’s allies turn against him over carbon tax
David Millward
Sun, 31 March 2024

Justin Trudeau’s political allies have turned on him over his “net zero” tax policy, as his Liberal Party slumps in the polls.

The Canadian prime minister is facing a rebellion within his own party over the unpopular 23 per cent carbon tax rises, which will see drivers charged more for fuel from Monday.

The federal carbon price is set to bump up from Can $65 (£38) to Can $80 (£47), meaning the extra charge on gasoline will increase from 14.3 cents to 17.6 cents per litre.

As things stand, Mr Trudeau’s Liberal Party is heading for humiliation in Canada’s federal elections, which are due to be held by October next year.

According to one poll, the Conservatives, led by Pierre Poilievre, are on course for a crushing victory, gaining 92 seats, while Mr Trudeau’s Liberals lose 96.

Canadian voters appeared to accept the carbon taxes – charging businesses and citizens for using fossil fuels – when they were first introduced five years ago.

But with the country facing a cost of living crisis, Mr Trudeau’s flagship policy has become a political millstone around the Liberal Party’s neck. Mr Poilievre and his allies have dubbed the latest rises an “April Fool’s tax hike”.

More worryingly for the 52-year-old, key Liberals across the country are voicing their opposition to the next batch of increases.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:25 am 
Top of the pops

EV's and the Green Lobby climate heating etc etc lobby is nothing more than a massive control grab and shift of wealth to the usual suspects. There is no part of their agenda that has turned out to be correct.

People are waking up way to slowly and still believe the parasitical liars they think they are voting in!!!!

Oh and its 0600 I live in Kallepia and my wife is now on her way to the single charging point at the AIK to pick up a stranded friend who runs an EV and regrets it every day.

Maybe by lunchtime she will have the juice to get back to Limassol.......

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:33 am 
Top of the pops

And to prove my point yesterday, an article from today's Times. And you still think LTNs are about better air quality?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:48 am 
Top of the pops

When the MSM is starting to step out of line and report these things you know there is cracks in the facade.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:17 pm 
Top of the pops

:smilielol :smilielol :smilielol :smilielol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:32 pm 
Rock Star

if the highly improbable was to ever occur and i was to buy an ev then i would install netvmetering system and charger prior to purchase . If it proved immpossible to have a solar powered ev charger then i would cancel the purchase. Owning an ev and relying on public charging ! Apsolute maddness. I expect the car salemen were telling enormous porkys .

If a product is suitable for use , competitively priced , is backed by fair warrantee and usage infrastructure then it WILL sell , so why are the government give discount/ money back incentives ?

I think a compact 2/4 seater city car is practical for an ev , my choice would be somthing similar to my mid80s mk2 polo, it was a mini 3 door estate , small , light, narrow , very practical for london . It would have probably a 10to 15kw battery that would mean realistic charging times on the lower powered cyprus electric , we have 3 phase 20 amp ! Yes honestly ! I know it woolarbra wonga !

Yes yak , i agree , living in the real world and not some salesmans paradise , evs are are only for those with a driveway . Tnose that live in Teraced houses , flats , town houses will have to go electric scooter or public transport ! But thats ok ! How far do you need to go in a 15minute city .

Re ULEZ if i still lived in wembley and they were charging me £ 12.50 a day to use my car i would be the head of a vigil anti group planning " Guy Falkes 2" . I realise goverments only apply polices which is dictated to them by those in control but you need to start somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:54 am 
Top of the pops

Bravo mouse.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:42 pm 
Rock Star

If they want to deprive me of my car ! Then they will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands , i buggered if i will go without whilst the rich have everything !
Re Guy Falkes 2 ! After the fireworks the PARTY :banana i believe there are those who feel similar in Estonia too .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:03 pm 
Top of the pops

Mouse, you will be pleased to know that there are still many vigilante anti ULEZ-camera groups in and around London. One of them posts almost daily on Twitter, accompanied with a pic of a newly-installed ULEZ camera which met an untimely end, usually laying as a mass of tangled parts on the grass verge. So sad to see. Not. Others have been innovatively hooded with a bat nesting box. I am led to believe that if a bat takes up residence in the nesting box, then the ULEZ gestapo are not permitted to remove the box, as that would be against environmental laws. Camera thwarted. Other times, tall vans are placed immediately in front of the camera and left for long periods with the driver nowhere to be found. This makes it impossible for the cameras to perform their snooping mission.

So fear not, others continue to take action against ULEZ cameras, and I can envisage that no less would happen in Cyprus, if such a stupid law was enacted. Think of all the farmers, and people from surrounding villages, who chug around in their old pick-up trucks; are they supposed to suddenly find €50k to go out and buy a shiny new EV? Utter rollocks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:35 am 
Top of the pops

One of the more peaceful protests is by the group installing BAT habitats on the poles. Once erected they cant be moved as they are protected.

But its about time that people here and elsewhere started to stand for themselves and as groups in so many different aspects of life lest they give away all the freedoms previously won.

Cyprus is no different and I see so many locals and foreigners who simply sit back and allow themselves to be forced into actions they dont want.

Live your dreams.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body