The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mobile speed camera van
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:48 pm 
Rock Star

I was driving along today about 2 or 3 cars behind a speed camera van, he was doing a good 60 in a 50 , can he knick himself for speeding ? These new allsinging alldancing traffic cams really work for me , i am very cautious and keep to the speed limit and unlike many i dont spend my life on the phone , zo thats no problem either

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am 
Top of the pops

For your virtuosity's sake I hope this isn't a case of "famous last words" :lol:

So many top Police inspectors in the UK were caught over the years preaching one motoring moral code, but practicing another.

Might work for you, but clearly the driver of the van doesn't believe in what he is doing for a living. For those guys it's just a case of earning as much revenue as they can, by hitting an easy target.

I will be very, very surprised if these guys are not on a commission structure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 pm 
Rock Star

Yes Yak i am sure you are right thatvthe drivers are on commission, a few times now coming past atlantica hotel the sign has been well hiden in the bushes whilstvthe van lays in wait at 'simon the flyman ' .
Another thing i noticed , heading in coral bay direction , come past the Aspire school there is a permanent speed control sign ! When the van is parked 300m further along there is no other temporary sign , so anytime you see a fixed sign there could be a van working ! Added to this the all singing all dancing traffic cams i take extra care now ! I used to potter down tomk dual carriage way at 55 to 60 whereas now i keep to the limits and try to negotiate smart cam junctions perfectly . I just cant afford tickets for no good reason .
I do believe many on the road need to buy an alarm clock and attend a course of time managment lessons.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:59 am 
Top of the pops

I do believe that Paphos has to stop being sterilized by constant impositions of all types of control from cameras, to humps, to walkways and so many other items.

For the small number of accidents I have witnessed in 20 years he expense and impositions on others is just not worth it. Furthermore the constant push to control is sickening.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:33 am 
Rock Star

Well i suppose we could look at it differently ! Lets go the whole 9 yards too, no speed limits , no safety signs , no safety booklets supplied with products , warning signs , food allergies and disband the HSE and allow Darwin to Naturally cull the herd.
I too find speed bumps very annoying , it wastes fuel and i get people in bloody great suv trucks getting impatient ! Well if they were intelligent they would realise this is a problem of their own making ! If they were able to exercise self control in their speed then the speed bumps would not exist , necessity is the mother of invention

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:34 pm 
Top of the pops

tanny wrote:
I do believe that Paphos has to stop being sterilized by constant impositions of all types of control from cameras, to humps, to walkways and so many other items.

For the small number of accidents I have witnessed in 20 years he expense and impositions on others is just not worth it. Furthermore the constant push to control is sickening.

Couldn't agree more. It's a failing of the human condition that some people like nothing more than to exert control and dominance over others. You only have to look at Putin, Xi and - closer to home - Sadiq Khan for examples of that.

You and I know that traffic cameras and ULEZ zones are nothing more than revenue-raising scams.

Wife and I were saying last night that if ULEZ does ever come to Cyprus, 80% of the cars and pick-up trucks would fail the arbitrary emission limits.

There wouldn't be a breakers yard big enough to house all the ULEZ cameras which would sadly meet an untimely fate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:51 pm 
Rock Star

So you agree with speeding, running red lights , blocking pedestrian crossings at traffic lights ,chatting and texting on phone whilst driving ,Ok now i know !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:33 am 
Graduate

Great! A thread at last. keep it up, let's get the forum back to how it used to be.
Incidentally, I agree that speed control systems are annoying but why speed anyway? This is Cyprus, a leisurely little Island where you can live your remaining life at the pace you want.
Let the 'racing drivers' overtake, speed, and hopefully get caught. They won't catch me speeding, I did all that stuff back in the UK all my working life, occasionally I got caught, but honestly - by a patrol car not a faceless camera. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:33 am 
Top of the pops

Mouse wrote:
So you agree with speeding, running red lights , blocking pedestrian crossings at traffic lights ,chatting and texting on phone whilst driving ,Ok now i know !

Not once did I say or suggest that. You are adding 2 and 2 to make 5.

There is no nation on earth where motorists are paragons of virtue, least of all Cyprus. But as I said earlier, most camera detection systems are nothing more than revenue raisers dressed up as accident prevention or air quality enhancement schemes. The infamous current mayor of London once admitted that when there were no more "polluting" vehicles to bring in £12 a day income per vehicle, he would then move to a 'pricing by the mile' system. This so that his income stream was restored once more.

Naturally, with local elections coming up, Sadiq Khan has temporarily disavowed this ambition.

Last edited by Yakflyer on Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:51 am 
Top of the pops

STORYTELLER wrote:
Great! A thread at last. keep it up, let's get the forum back to how it used to be.

Yes, it's nice to have a forum where freedom of thought and expression are permitted and where you are not required to acquiesce to the forum owner's stolid views. I agree, let's use the forum more for interesting debate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:24 am 
Top of the pops

Sadly it is also a modern condition of the human that they simply sit back and comply.

Be born.
To what is permitted
Learn what is permitted
Pay the tax on it during the useful lifetime
Be allowed to die

Follow the pattern.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:40 am 
Rock Star

I dont just sit back and comply ! There are a number of things i wont do or dont want to do , basically i say no to an electronic life , i use cash in , cash out , no electronic payment systems, no online shopping or food delivery, no smart phone as i see no use for most of its functions and cannot justify the high cost and large clumsy form.
This is what i have against our new " Paphos smart city " it is designed to encompass the up and coming controls you say sicken you ! I honestly cant be bothered to sod about with my phone on a sunny day and cant read it, so paying for a parking space is right out unless there is a meter, so if the shop does not have a carpark then i nolonger go there and use another outside of the numbered parking space zone

Just a side thought , i find it funny when people say " the old town " because there is not one, its been rebuilt in our smart city
Back to the roads , they are used by many people , so when many are sharing a common infrastructure a fair degree of patience and consideration is needed to make it work , as we know this is not a common trait of a driver hence controls need to be implimented to counteract the impatience and arrogance , the highway code!
Whilst many of these controls are money making schemes drivers bad attitudes are just playing into the EU s hands making it all possible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:50 am 
Rock Star

storeyteller
Yes it is good to get feedback and have some lively banter, it would be really boring if we all had the same opinion.
as you correctly commented BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:32 am 
Top of the pops

The new systems that have been imposed have done nothing for the local population apart from the normal restaurants and shops who are the Koumbares of the ruling boob.

Tsada to Bank of Cyprus in Kennedy square only a couple of years ago was to put the car in neutral and roll there in 6 minutes (I timed it often), now is a minimum of 20 minutes using power....... wonderfully green.

There is so many road constrictions now, lack of parking etc etc etc that your every move is being controlled.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:04 pm 
Rock Star

Clearly you drive a manual ! Quite rare now !i do too , I dont like autos , if you cant be bothered to drive get chauffeur. Yes rolling , free wheeling or as my brother in law said in the 70s , Jewish overdrive ! Yes it is very green, especially for those with an old non fuel injection car. Yup on a good day i can make it in neutral from the silly roundabout at the entrance to Kamares ( nice fountain they just put in :sunny ) all the way to the Wembley / walking football place ! Greener than an ev ? My fiat 128 and older Toyota corolla didnt have power steering so it turned the engine off too ! Of course according to some blithering old fool , chief of the met police said on national tv that coasting was dangerous and you had appsolutely no control of the car ! I would have loved to pose the question to him , so how come automatics are road legal then ? That was in the days of hydraulic mechanical autos and not todays computer gizmos , actually i believe there are about 4 distnctly different computer controlled auto transmittions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:45 am 
Top of the pops

Coasting is inherently dangerous; inasmuch you are not in complete control of your car.

As for me, I love automatics; have bought them for well over 40 years. Never quite understood why people would want to make driving more difficult or complicated than it needs to be.

It was always the case that 90% of cars in America were auto, with just 10% manual. I read recently that the UK is fast catching up with the USA... and that Gen Z prefer autos to manual.

You'll be telling me next that you prefer to wash clothes by hand. And dishes. And probably watch B&W TV ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:13 am 
Rock Star

My experience of autos is totally outdated but back in the 80s when you took your foot off the throttle the car felt and im sure was Coasting ! How is this different from slipping a manual into neutral ?
I dont understand !
Please explain how coasting you have less control over the car ? If you require engine braking thren simply slip it into a suitable gear, how else can coasting effect the control of the car ?
I must admit " experts " have rattled on for decades about coasting but i dont know why ! In 46 years of driving i have never felt out of control or had a crash when coasting
Yes to washing machine and colour tv , hmm yes and no to dishwasher ! Yes to Delongi coffee machine that grinds the beans and squitrs the coffee :sunny , yes to fridge as opposed to calling the ice man , yes to gas cooker as opposed to open fire , electric, halogen , induction .
We could have a thread about which version or type you prefer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:51 am 
Graduate

This is brilliant! How we got from a mobile speed trap to a Delonghi coffee maker. Keep it going. I personally don't rate these coffee machines very highly, a cup of quality instant and a kettle does for me, with a Yakflyer hot cross bun of course.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:27 pm 
Top of the pops

Continuing off-track, nothing but nothing beats a Nespresso machine. A double Ristretto and a bar of choccy after my evening meal and I'm in 7th heaven. Rest of the day I drink Jacobs Gold freeze-dried... and very nice it is too. Suffice to say that Nespresso Ristretto is what British Airways serve in their long-haul First Class cabins... that's its impeccable pedigree and status.

But anyway, I digress. Now where were we? Ah yes, mobile speed camera vans. And Mouse free-wheeling silently past them in the hope they won't spot him and blemish his 'model motorist' reputation :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:01 am 
Top of the pops

Quote:
You'll be telling me next that you prefer to wash clothes by hand. And dishes. And probably watch B&W TV ;)

Actually. Yes. Yes and dont have a TV as such apart from watching the football so your really close.

But the overall picture of over control, over watch and the ability now for your entire system to be closed down in a second is available and those you elected (you thought ) to serve are in control.

Live your dreams.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body