Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ME AND MY DOG
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:22 pm 
Graduate

Me and my Dog
He is awake at 6.30 this morning, out of the ordinary, even for him. I swing out of bed pulling on my clothes and head for the door, step into my comfortable shoes and away we go. Tail wagging, his not mine, we’re going down the steps to the road.
Only five yards and we stop he is sniffing the lamp-post. Back leg is almost vertical, head down scanning the horizon for potential enemies. He is ‘clocking in’ leaving his calling card for the next dog to sample. I keep watch while he is busy, as he will for me when I go to the toilet at home later. It’s the pack instinct, me being the ‘Alpha’ male it’s expected.
As we go down the road the local street-wise dog, Rinky, approaches, ducking and diving like he is being pursued by the dog warden. They meet exchange pleasantries sniff each others’ bum and carry on their separate ways. I can’t help wondering how it would be if people behaved that way. It certainly would be an ice breaker at parties.
Several pees further on we meet the builders arriving for work on the large complex being constructed on the main road. Making a fuss of him they greet me with ‘Good Morning’ in many languages. Tail wagging, his not mine, we trot down to the waste ground which will soon become another building site. The long grass at this time of year attracts him, pushing his way through, sniffing and snuffling as he goes.
What’s that noise? We stop and listen alert for any possible threat of danger. A large digger truck is coming around the corner belching black exhaust fumes.The driver’s obligatory cigarette giving off clouds of smoke creating an unhealthy atmosphere in his cab. It passes and we prepare to cross the busy dual carriageway. I wait while he sits down at the kerb. I listen then look both ways. It is clear. ‘OK let’s go’ the command he knows and is expecting.
On the other side of the road I assert my leader of the pack role and steer him the way I want him to go. He complies somewhat unwillingly and we head off to the park, tail wagging, his not mine.
The grassless area of the park is full of many new smells and he takes his time to absorb the variance of scents available to him.
Then he stoops, his tail stuck straight up behind him his head down looking out for assailants waiting to take advantage of his vulnerable situation. I take a ‘pooh’ bag from the container attached to his lead and put my hand inside. Watching out for the wind direction I bend to pick up the deposit. As I pick it up, something bright and sparkly catches my eye. On investigation I find one of my wife’s gold earrings which had gone missing the night before. Well that really is something out of the ordinary!
Back home I present my wife with the, now washed, lost earring tail wagging - mine not his. I didn’t tell her exactly where I found it of course!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body