The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:23 pm 
Graduate

It’s got one wheel and flies!

There was great excitement in the village, the old Manor House, which had been empty since Brigadier Beauchamp had popped his clogs some five years ago, had finally been sold at last, the listed building had been the subject of much speculation by the villagers who wondered what would happen to it. Whether it would be changed into multi living units, or be purchased by a personality who would become ‘somebody’ in the village and indeed in the local community. Now it was revealed that the new owners were The Co founders of a very successful chain of bedroom furniture shops called ‘Beddybyes’, called Mr. and Mrs. Scanlon. They were instantly christened Mr. and Mrs. Beddybyes throughout the area.
To celebrate their arrival in the village they threw a huge reception at the house inviting everybody, from the village road sweeper to local dignitaries. When everybody was there all tucking into the sumptuous spread laid on by the Beddybyes, they unveiled their plans for the house and grounds.
It was what you would expect from a ‘nouveau riche’ couple with money to burn. There were to be extensive renovations to the house. All exterior work keeping to the original specification of the building and obeying the regulations regarding listed buildings. Interior work would be up to the minute luxury standards, with extra bathrooms, en-suites and of course their specialty, Luxury Bedrooms!
Regarding the land, most of the fields rented to the farmers would remain as they were, except for the two that led up to the house. They were going to be cleared to enable the building of a runway for Mr. Beddybye’s personal private executive jet plane!!
After the presentation the village population met at the local pub for a discussion about it. Most of the villagers seemed in favour of the plans and it would give a lift to the village’s importance in the area.
“What about that airplane? Are we going to have to put up with the sudden noise at all hours of the day and night? We’ve never had to put up with that sort of thing before” Said old Mabel the ex postmistress.
“Well that’s nothing new, my old grandfather built a machine that had one wheel and flies.” said old Tom the farmer from up at the far end of the village “That was years ago and we still use it now.”
“Get out of it, your grandfather died in 1920 you silly old bugger” said Stan the blacksmith.
“I’ve still got it in my barn and I’ll bring it down to the square tomorrow, then you’ll be sorry you didn’t believe me!” was old Tom’s indignant reply.
The next day, the whole village was waiting with baited breath to see Tom’s machine which has one wheel and flies.
Then he was spotted coming down the road with a broad grin on his face and a twinkle in his eye - pushing an ancient wooden wheelbarrow full of horse manure!!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body